What's new

Anyone add water to their scotch?

I would conclude with the following . . .

"It's not whisky until you are enjoying it with friends."

I first read this quote in relation to bourbon, and have tried to let it guide me with own supply. No sense hoarding "the good stuff".

I will admit to being somewhat snobby in this area . . . I have several very fine spirits which I have no problem serving to my guests. If however, after a sample taste, their decision is to obliterate the flavours with ice or coke, I have lesser bottlings that they can enjoy equally well under those conditions. I am NOT allowing a 35 YO whisky to be destroyed by someone who will not know the difference between it and well stock.

That is one of my pet peeves. Some time ago I overheard one young lady saying her boyfriend bought her some Johnny Walker Blue label and she loves it with ginger ale. Then I have a neighbor who searches for the best quality bourbon and then puts 10 ice cubes in a tall glass and fills it with coke.

I am NOT allowing a 35 YO whisky to be destroyed by someone who will not know the difference between it and well stock.

Agree, no point in wasting it on someone that can't appreciate it. That's where the Chivas comes into play, nice enough for most to enjoy, not so special that you would be annoyed if someone spoils it.

I appreciate a good whisky, but my taste is not so refined to appreciate the subtle differences, so my price point is around £40 that I would be willing to pay for a bottle. Anything more than that, I don't think would be good value for me.

Something that has become popular here as a hobby, is trading in special editions for collectors. Because the distilleries are withing driving range, I know a few guys that will be there on the given date, standing in line, waiting for the release of a special edition, hoping to buy some, then selling for a profit later. It has reached the point where for some releases you can apply beforehand, and a lottery will decide who gets to buy one. Don't think much of that ever gets opened for drinking, because the price is not related to the taste, only to the exclusivity and reputation.

Not for me, I just like drinking the stuff, in a glencairn glass, no ice, almost never any water.

I will admit to being somewhat snobby in this area . . . I have several very fine spirits which I have no problem serving to my guests. If however, after a sample taste, their decision is to obliterate the flavours with ice or coke, I have lesser bottlings that they can enjoy equally well under those conditions. I am NOT allowing a 35 YO whisky to be destroyed by someone who will not know the difference between it and well stock.

I keep my collection in two locations. In the kitchen is all of my low cost, easy to find on the shelf, don’t care if you chug it or mix with coke whiskeys. I usually direct my friends who drink for effect to this cabinet.

In the garage, I keep my more expensive, harder to find, drink it for the taste and don’t add anything beyond a few ice cubes whiskey. Those who can appreciate a whiskey neat or no worse than on the rocks can come out and pick a bottle to enjoy for the evening.

I too think whiskey is meant to be shared among friends. It’s more about the memories made while enjoying good company than it is about amassing a vast collection of fermented corn juice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is one of my pet peeves. Some time ago I overheard one young lady saying her boyfriend bought her some Johnny Walker Blue label and she loves it with ginger ale. Then I have a neighbor who searches for the best quality bourbon and then puts 10 ice cubes in a tall glass and fills it with coke.

What someone does with their personal hooch is of no concern to me. I will simply shake my head and enjoy whatever is on offer. However, I will say that the better the quality of the whisky, the nicer the resulting cocktail. So, if I am making Old Fashioneds, or Manhattans for an evening, I will use the good stuff.

If however, after a sample taste, their decision is to obliterate the flavours with ice or coke, I have lesser bottlings that they can enjoy equally well under those conditions.

I believe the practice of adding ice or coke should be considered a hate crime.

I know alcohol is very personal and no one should tell you what or how you should drink, but like most of the comments on here I deplore people who ruin good Scotch, especially single malts. A splash of water, maybe a spoonful, I find does generally just help release the aroma and helps with the enjoyment. I am reminded of a bar in Tokyo when I was there for a conference with a former employer, MSIG Insurance, and initially the doorman was reluctant to let me in until I flashed my company ID. Once in, they had one of the vastest arrays of whiskies (both with and without an e!) I had ever seen. What I was particularly impressed by was the selection of waters, they had Scottish lowland water which they gave you if it was a lowland malt you were drinking, or a highland water if a highland malt! I am not sure how much difference it actually made but I found the attention to detail very cool.

Living in Singapore, the locals here like The Macallan but sadly they insist on drowning it in ice, occasionally we'll go out for a team drink (I work for a reinsurance brokerage now and boy do they drink!) and they look amazed when the other Brits and I shun the ice.

I have read that one of the favoured cocktails is a glass of crushed ice filled with the whisky of choice. Likely only getting a double with that much ice.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

blasphemy.jpg

Thats why I have a bottle of Jim Beam on my counter.

I dont like 'hot' whiskies. If its hot I'll add one cube and keep looking for a more suitable bottle.

When it comes to bourbons many really like Blantons Single Barrel but I find it to hot and lacking depth. It needs ice to cool it and open it up and then it only does so slightly to me. Makers Mark 46 on the other hand needs absolutely nothing.

I add one small rock to my scotch. It's just enough to raise the temp a tad and the water released slowly brings out the flavor of what's in the glass. They are those small half moon sized cubes. My fav is Lagavulin 16. I also like to try new ones that I have no yet tried.

View attachment 1014590

Thats why I have a bottle of Jim Beam on my counter.

I dont like 'hot' whiskies. If its hot I'll add one cube and keep looking for a more suitable bottle.

When it comes to bourbons many really like Blantons Single Barrel but I find it to hot and lacking depth. It needs ice to cool it and open it up and then it only does so slightly to me. Makers Mark 46 on the other hand needs absolutely nothing.

I wouldn't mind it if he used his own bourbon. At his house, he uses the cheap bourbon. He comes to my house and looks for the most expensive one!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I wouldn't mind it if he used his own bourbon. At his house, he uses the cheap bourbon. He comes to my house and looks for the most expensive one!

I dont mind if someone wants to try it but if they cant tell the difference why drink it.

If I'm drinking I like tasting. A good liquor is like good music, its meant to be enjoyed and appreciated. Cheap liquor is like background radio music.

I consider myself lucky that Makers 46 hits all my marks. Its a damn nice bourbon for the money. I have a friend thats heavy into Scotch. Thats how I learned about the waters used in them. I can taste the differences but I have no idea what they are. When I drink it its not familiar to me. None pulled me in. A nice wheated bourbon on the other hand does.

If you told my friend to pour a bit in a glass of Coke you might get hit with the glass lol.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I do my best to live and let live, especially when it comes to personal pleasure, and I do my best to be a gracious host. That said, I will not mix my fine liquor with something that all but wipes out is flavor. If you want some, I'm happy to share a wee dram and talk about it. However, if you want whiskey in your Coke, I have Jack and Jim and Bulleit and Rittenhouse. If you want a ton of ice, I also have Maker's Mark. You want a tall whisky and soda? I have Dewar's 12, and I'll even let go of some Johnny Walker Black for that.

I'll serve anything neat, with an ice cube, or with a splash (even a generous one).

If it's your own bottle, you can dump it into a margarita machine, for all I care.

I do my best to live and let live, especially when it comes to personal pleasure, and I do my best to be a gracious host. That said, I will not mix my fine liquor with something that all but wipes out is flavor. If you want some, I'm happy to share a wee dram and talk about it. However, if you want whiskey in your Coke, I have Jack and Jim and Bulleit and Rittenhouse. If you want a ton of ice, I also have Maker's Mark. You want a tall whisky and soda? I have Dewar's 12, and I'll even let go of some Johnny Walker Black for that.

I'll serve anything neat, with an ice cube, or with a splash (even a generous one).

If it's your own bottle, you can dump it into a margarita machine, for all I care.

A Glenlivet margarita! :001_rolle

If I'm drinking just to savor the scotch, I'll add a drop or two just to open it up.

If I just drinking scotch, I'll add some ice.

I know, I'm an uncultured heathen savage...

When I drink scotch I just add a pinch or two of water! :a17::a17:

(In my single days, scotch was my ‘go to.’ Then LOTH ‘civilized’ me to become a wine drinker.)

I dont mind if someone wants to try it but if they cant tell the difference why drink it.

If I'm drinking I like tasting. A good liquor is like good music, its meant to be enjoyed and appreciated. Cheap liquor is like background radio music.

I love your analogy.

Top Bottom