What's new

Anyone actually saving money?

Definitely not saving any money so far, but I actually enjoy shaving now and as a result I shave pretty much daily instead of maybe twice a week.

Besides, straight razors and DE razors are aesthetically pleasing so it's fun to buy and display them, unlike the plastic junk disposables.

I have come to find that once anything becomes a hobby it stops being cheap(if it ever was in the first place).

Who’s trying to save money anyway.
I actually picked up traditional wet shaving back in 2016 to save money and in 2019 the only purchases I made were for a bar of Alum and 20 Shark Platinum blades to try out... Haven't spent anything yet this year and looking through what I have in the cabinet, I don't see anything that I need to purchase this year either.

I actually picked up traditional wet shaving back in 2016 to save money and in 2019 the only purchases I made were for a bar of Alum and 20 Shark Platinum blades to try out... Haven't spent anything yet this year and looking through what I have in the cabinet, I don't see anything that I need to purchase this year either.
I started to see if I could possibly maybe enjoy shaving. Little did I know....

I'm saving a crap load of money. If I was using canned goop and disposables I would spend probably 10 times more.
I shave every day
Arko shave sticks coat me $1.50 each if I buy in bulk. One stick lasts nearly 3 months, blades are about $8 for 100 they last for 5 months. I use cheap Turkish Cologne.
Costing me pennies per day

No way am I saving money on my shaves!

Serves me right though. They say those who get into reloading do it to save money, but end up shooting 2-3x times more and don’t save a thing. I was exception to that rule. So it only makes sense DE shaving would be the interest that got even with me.

It’s worth it to me though. I used to hit the range once or twice a week for relaxation, it brought me joy and peace. With a busy career and home life I’m lucky to make it out 2 or 3 times a year, so I was missing something in my routine that allowed me even 20 minutes of escape that I could enjoy for myself. I found taking the 10 to 20 minutes every other day for a nice shave has helped with that. It’s cheaper than my gun hobby. And it provides a much needed time for silence, no interruptions and clearing my head.
This sounds almost exactly like me. I rarely find time to get to the shooting range these days(still have no regrets on getting in to reloading though), but shaving is something I can do every day without leaving home and it's waaaaayyyyy cheaper than getting in to collecting firearms.

I'm saving tons of money. I think it took 2 months of shaving every other day to break even. At this point, I'm saving lots. The trick is separating essential from really wants from ooh neats.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
With us all staying home more than normally(corona virus issues) having a nice shave in the morning is priceless IMO.
I went into shaving to save money I think but it will take 4+ years to break even. I do not regret spending the money on RAD because I got meet some others who like to have a nice shave with vintage razors modern razors.
Because I clip my own hair that was a huge savings and in these times barbers are not cutting hair more than likely because of social distancing so that is a another plus. So you have to think positive on how you spend your hard earned monies.

I’ve calculated my break even point to be about 18 years. So there is still hope.

I don’t have any regrets though. There’s more to life than saving money. Switching from clippers to shaving has smartened up my appearance and it’s fun. I’ve zeroed in on some good products now and my acquisitions have slowed right down as a result. I think I will get a lot of service from the final selection.

Last edited:
At first I was saving money as I learned how to DE shave. Then it seemed like I had an order coming in every week. Now I save money for a few months then go on a shopping spree. Definitely still saving money from when I was using carts though.

Comparing apples to apples, DE shaving is less expensive. People who are spending more money here are doing so by choice, as collectors. But the savings of blades over cartridges is not only substantial, it is arguably more ethical as it minimizes the environmental impact on landfills. And, if you're using canned shave cream, many of the ingredients in the formula are downright toxic - - not to mention the hazards of the aerosal and disposing of the can itself.

I didn't switch to save money; I switched to DEs as a final, desperate attempt to stop ingrown hairs and acne. This was a success! I also discovered that a DE shave is closer for me than a cartridge shave. Where I ended up not saving money was in the ongoing quest to find the perfect razor. I'm now considering trying injectors and GEM razors...

If one just found a razor that works and be satisfied in that instead of "trying" more.. If one just found a blade...if one just found a soap or cream...
You can save a considerable amount of money but , man, you have to get out of your own way.

Top Bottom