What's new

Anyone actually saving money?

So when I started I kept hearing how much cheaper it is to wet shave. Boy was that a joke. As soon as RAD kicks in you are screwed. Then if you use straights, DE, and SE razors you are really screwed. The post your shave den thread got me thinking how many of you are actually saving money wet shaving vs using carts and can shaving cream?

I’ve had years where I have bought a ton of stuff, and years where I used one soap and razor the whole year. Depends really on the person. I’m down to 3 razors and 4 brushes, so I’d say yeah.

For the past 30years it's been a Gillette Mach 3 with can shaving foam costing no more than USD15 a year.
Since May 2019 I discovered and ordered my first Edwin Jagger DE89 with some DE blades but realized I missed the brush and shave soaps/creams and so I find ways to get some and discover a whole new world of shaving!

My initial plan to have a better and cheaper shave for the long run...that's what being touted in this wet shaving.....was totally forgotten....you got it right Suhrim21! Boy what a joke!

Now...in just 8 months...my shaving cost suddenly goes up 1000x! And I have only just started....

Nope...no way this wet shaving can save money....

However, this is way waaaaaay much more enjoyable, pleasurable and believe it or not helps to relieve a stressful day at work. Somehow my wife sees this and supported me....in a way..LOL

Well...that's just me...YMMV

That's the key. I'm definitely spending a hell of a lot more now but its relaxing and I am having fun. I've come to the conclusion that this is my collection. I collect shaving gear but this collection doesn't just collect dust it's a functioning collection. Not many collectors can say they get to use their collection. Even a lot of people who collect cars dont actually drive them. We collect shaving gear and use it at the same time. It's fun its relaxing and it's cool to get a vintage piece and you think about the history. While I'm shaving with a razor from the 20s I'm thinking about all the history that razor has seen. The places it has been.

That's the key. I'm definitely spending a hell of a lot more now but its relaxing and I am having fun. I've come to the conclusion that this is my collection. I collect shaving gear but this collection doesn't just collect dust it's a functioning collection. Not many collectors can say they get to use their collection. Even a lot of people who collect cars dont actually drive them. We collect shaving gear and use it at the same time. It's fun its relaxing and it's cool to get a vintage piece and you think about the history. While I'm shaving with a razor from the 20s I'm thinking about all the history that razor has seen. The places it has been.

There you go....that's the reason why we spend too much...now the addiction spread all the way to me...vintage razor from the 20s! LOL!!

I have a targeted vintage on the bay and quite cheap by US standard but...shipping almost double the price.

You are right, not all collections can be used and the vintage razor will be well utilized.

My thinking has always been...do this while you can...save some but do spend and have fun too. Life is too short and I have wasted 30years on cartridges/daily chore and now I hope I can enjoy this ritual for the next 30years....with an array of wonderful tools...!!

So I can say that until the end of 2019 - when I bought my first straight razor - I saved money. But I never got the bug to buy multiple razors, spend big bucks on a brush or have more than 2 soaps going at a time. I bought my Merkur 34c in 2014, I bought my latest brush (a badger off Amazon for $50) in 2016, and I buy 100-packs of personna blue blades for $14. My biggest expense is soap at $15 a puck.

So, to break it down, my fixed cost for equipment is $115 ($35 for my merkur, $30 for my first brush, $50 for my latest brush). That averages out to $20 a year for the six years I've been wet shaving. Then the recurring costs (soap and blades) are ~$37 a year (2x pucks and half of a 100-pack of blades), bringing my annual cost to $57.

Compare that to my previous routine of Mach 3 with Barbasol. Amazon has Mach 3 razors for $25 for 15-pack. At 1 cart a week, that's $86 a year. Plus 2x $5 can of shaving cream makes an estimate of $96 annually for cartridge shaving.

So I've saved about $234 in my six years of wet shaving. Which is approximately what I've spent in the last two months getting into straight razor shaving, so I've still come out at a wash even when you factor that in.

I didn't spend much on shaving before stumbling across this place but also didn't have that much to shave back then.

The past 5yrs or so my costs have been almost zero.

I have a few razors, brushes & stones in the $5-30 range that will probably outlast me.

I did splurge a few hundred on sharpening stones in the space of a year or so for a little luxury and to keep every metal thing I own sharp but I don't regret that for a moment.

Buying a fancy straight razor is on my list but I'm in no rush.

...Nope...no way this wet shaving can save money....
It's possible to save money, but it seems to be uncommon, at least on this forum. Everything you read tempts you to buy more stuff.

This year (2020), my goal is to spend nothing ($0.00). I'll be able to do that because I spent enough in 2019 to try a bunch of things and find out what I liked. It's been fun, but I have more than enough to last me several years at this point. Now, I have a stockpile of supplies that need to be used up. Time for a sabbatical.

Expenses are going to be high in the beginning because you want to buy decent equipment to start shaving this way. Plus, there is an element of curiosity that makes you want to try new things to see what you like. I think expenses can taper off after this point.

I tried to set limits on my spending.
Most expensive razor: $23
Most expensive blades: $25/100
Most expensive brush: $20
Most expensive soap: $14/130g triple-milled
Most expensive aftershave: $15
Most expensive shaving bowl: $0

I was able to avoid the rabbit holes of expensive razors, expensive brushes, expensive accessories, artisan soap collection, expensive aftershaves, etc. I mostly avoided the pitfall of FOMO (Fear of Missing Out).

Still ended up with:
8 razors (vintage and new)
10 brushes (boar, horse hair, badger, synthetic)
9 aftershaves and balms
18+ soaps and creams
500+ razor blades
Witch hazel x 3
Rose water
Turkish kolonya
Jojoba oil
Alum stick
Styptic pencil
Soap containers

Pretty crazy, but it could have been much worse.

At this point, I can still break even, but will need to spend little or nothing for several years. Instead of money going to overpriced cartridges and junk, it's gone to things that are more fun and interesting. Things that will last quite a long time.

It's possible to save money, but it seems to be uncommon, at least on this forum. Everything you read tempts you to buy more stuff.

This year (2020), my goal is to spend nothing ($0.00). I'll be able to do that because I spent enough in 2019 to try a bunch of things and find out what I liked. It's been fun, but I have more than enough to last me several years at this point. Now, I have a stockpile of supplies that need to be used up. Time for a sabbatical.

Expenses are going to be high in the beginning because you want to buy decent equipment to start shaving this way. Plus, there is an element of curiosity that makes you want to try new things to see what you like. I think expenses can taper off after this point.

I tried to set limits on my spending.
Most expensive razor: $23
Most expensive blades: $25/100
Most expensive brush: $20
Most expensive soap: $14/130g triple-milled
Most expensive aftershave: $15
Most expensive shaving bowl: $0

I was able to avoid the rabbit holes of expensive razors, expensive brushes, expensive accessories, artisan soap collection, expensive aftershaves, etc. I mostly avoided the pitfall of FOMO (Fear of Missing Out).

Still ended up with:
8 razors (vintage and new)
10 brushes (boar, horse hair, badger, synthetic)
9 aftershaves and balms
18+ soaps and creams
500+ razor blades
Witch hazel x 3
Rose water
Turkish kolonya
Jojoba oil
Alum stick
Styptic pencil
Soap containers

Pretty crazy, but it could have been much worse.

At this point, I can still break even, but will need to spend little or nothing for several years. Instead of money going to overpriced cartridges and junk, it's gone to things that are more fun and interesting. Things that will last quite a long time.
You are right! Most probably I am just starting up and are having the RAD. Once I am satisfied with my collections...I will stop😬
Similar to you...most of my gears are cheaper stuff / on sale / bargain and even some freebies. I am not into those premium hardware and software stuff but rather low cost different varieties for the sake of trying. By the end of 2020 I will be able to start my sabbatical.
This is really an enlightening thread...thanks

Am I spending more now than I did when I was using carts? Of course I am. Shaving has become a pleasurable experience and an inexpensive hobby. I enjoy the experience daily and SWMBO thinks I look and smell better than ever. Worth every extra penny spent.
If you had told me three years ago that I would be machining razor handles and giving them away, I would have doubted your sanity.

I was doing okay for 35 years with just my Slim, a crate of vintage Wilkinson Sword blades, and Williams Mug Soap. Basically, my only expenditure was for a puck of Williams every couple of months.

Then, I stumbled on B&B and now I'm suffering from BAD, RAD, and several other disorders due to the scurrilous cabal of shameless enablers on this forum!

:001_tongu

Before I had one razor some carts and a can of gel

if you see the den picture you know that there is serious rad which I try to control.

OTOH I have Fun, met some interesting people in the process and I went from a terrible shave to a damn fine shave in the process

now sell of some of the not used stuff and go on having fun

Attachments

• 55C413A5-9479-403E-8E82-C170AE0D6E41.jpeg
    55C413A5-9479-403E-8E82-C170AE0D6E41.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 68
  • 2F17261A-3299-4EF0-A720-5767F5B57CBF.jpeg
    2F17261A-3299-4EF0-A720-5767F5B57CBF.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 64
My RAD wore out. I'm now going through my stock of blades. I did splurge and spend $1.75 on some Dorco Atra compatible cartridges right at the end of December. Thus while, including RAD, I had a higher front-in cost, for all but the razors it was money spent in advance. So yes, when I use a blade that costs less than a dollar verses a cartridge that runs $2.75 a pop, I am saving money.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I no longer think about wet shaving in terms of saving money. I think of it in terms of how it has opened up choice. I'm now on the 2020 Shaving Sabbatical just because I have more than enough. It's time to enjoy what I've acquired. The next best thing syndrome is an illusion that drives acquisition disorders when confronted with a wide variety of choices.

I absolutely saved money. I don't make spontaneous purchases, so it makes it a bit easier. I have three vintage safety razors; an adjustable, an open comb, and an injector. All three were generous PIFs and gifts. I also have seven vintage straights, and only one was over $20.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Oh heck no! I just bought another Timeless baseplate!

But a horrible, mandatory, mundane task is now not only a joy, but a much-needed meditation minute.

Centered, I begin the day in the correct frame of mind: to win.

Well. Espresso coffee also helps!

AA

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I was shaving with Xtreme3 disposables with brush and cream. About a month ago I switched to SR shaving.

To set me up I purchased a Titan T.H.60 6/8 razor, 65mm calf hide/denim strop, stropping wax, 3k natural stone, 3 x balsa strops, diamond paste and 7 x lapping film sheets. Total cost was USD 64.

I am happy using my existing brush and cream with my SR. The disposables were costing me about USD 2 per week.

Provided I can keep RAD at bay, I should be ahead by the middle of 2020.

Is there an RAD vaccine I can get?

Top Bottom