What's new

Anyone actually saving money?

I understand the value was appreciated and that’s great. I just wonder if sometimes we can appreciate the value for someone else sometimes and let it be. Or buy with the intent to pass it on to an appropriate appreciative appointee.
1,000,000% agree on this! As someone with a mild case of hoarding (not so mild, according to the wife) I can attest to this. Just because something is a 'killer deal' doesn't mean I have to buy it. A good deal can be appreciated from afar.

Already scr...... but those 72 euro are split between a shaving buddy and every month a try for something knew between the stack we already have

Attachments

• BAE152ED-572E-4DAB-831E-6B6692A2FA53.jpeg
    BAE152ED-572E-4DAB-831E-6B6692A2FA53.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 12

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm probably breaking even compared to carts, so that's a win.

Ever so often I get PIF'd some nice stuff on here, or I'd be broke if I had to buy all the stuff I have.

So the War Department cain't holler too much. She just shakes her head at me sometimes!

You absolutely can save money with wet shaving. Below is up what I bought once I dialed in my preferences:
- I bought 700 Persona blades for $91. They should last roughly 12-15 years, so $6.07 to $7.58 per year.
- I use about 2.5 tins of Mikes Natural soap Per year, so, $20/year.
- Aftershave is a wash as it has not changed with shaving mode, so no net difference.
- My 3 brushes are 6+ years old and were about $125 total and show no signs of wearing out - probably will be less that $10/year when they do wear out.

This comes to $36-$38/year in expendables.

When I got started, Razor prices were on the rise. I bought, cleaned and sold several razors and, even with keeping several razors, am above water. Even if you factor in a couple razors that you will be able to use indefinitely, you don’t add much to the annual cost. If you spend $250 on razors that you can use for 25 years, that is only $10/year.

When I used carts and canned goo, I was spending about $100/year. So, I’d you don’t go nuts, and look at the long run, you can save money wet shaving. In the first year or two, you may spend more, but once you settle in, you can shave for less.

You absolutely can save money with wet shaving. Below is up what I bought once I dialed in my preferences:
- I bought 700 Persona blades for $91. They should last roughly 12-15 years, so $6.07 to $7.58 per year.
- I use about 2.5 tins of Mikes Natural soap Per year, so, $20/year.
- Aftershave is a wash as it has not changed with shaving mode, so no net difference.
- My 3 brushes are 6+ years old and were about $125 total and show no signs of wearing out - probably will be less that $10/year when they do wear out.

This comes to $36-$38/year in expendables.

When I got started, Razor prices were on the rise. I bought, cleaned and sold several razors and, even with keeping several razors, am above water. Even if you factor in a couple razors that you will be able to use indefinitely, you don’t add much to the annual cost. If you spend $250 on razors that you can use for 25 years, that is only $10/year.

When I used carts and canned goo, I was spending about $100/year. So, I’d you don’t go nuts, and look at the long run, you can save money wet shaving. In the first year or two, you may spend more, but once you settle in, you can shave for less.
Problem is, you seem to be the exception to the rule. It appears that most people like to buy razors for collecting; always try new/different products when "not needed"; buy brushes when "not needed"; buy blades to try out when "not needed".

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. To me, part of the enjoyment of wet shaving is all the extra stuff.

I definitely have saved money on wet shaving assuming I live another 375 years, otherwise not so much.

BTW, when talking about saving money on wet shaving, is the alternative growing a beard that you never trim? Wet shaving (or even electric dry shaving) is what it is, it's a chore and economizing is the driving force. But if it turns into a bit of a passion (hobby?), then it's something a bit different and economizing ain't in it - at least to me.

For years I wet shaved (and electric too) and it was as cheap as anything, just something that I needed to do. I didn't care. Then I found this place and discovered that there are aspects of shaving that are interesting and not just a chore. When that happens, saving money isn't the driving force. Assuring your wife everything is under control is. ;)

The nice thing about this game is that you can always move stuff along.

-jim

Problem is, you seem to be the exception to the rule. It appears that most people like to buy razors for collecting; always try new/different products when "not needed"; buy brushes when "not needed"; buy blades to try out when "not needed".

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. To me, part of the enjoyment of wet shaving is all the extra stuff.
People don't make posts to say things like:
  • I was thinking about buying nothing, what do you think?
  • How do I store all this nothing I got on my latest spree?
  • Everything's going great, I haven't had to buy anything for years now.
  • I'm not having any problem shaving with the stuff I've been using for the past five years.

I definitely have saved money on wet shaving assuming I live another 375 years, otherwise not so much.

BTW, when talking about saving money on wet shaving, is the alternative growing a beard that you never trim? Wet shaving (or even electric dry shaving) is what it is, it's a chore and economizing is the driving force. But if it turns into a bit of a passion (hobby?), then it's something a bit different and economizing ain't in it - at least to me.

For years I wet shaved (and electric too) and it was as cheap as anything, just something that I needed to do. I didn't care. Then I found this place and discovered that there are aspects of shaving that are interesting and not just a chore. When that happens, saving money isn't the driving force. Assuring your wife everything is under control is. ;)

The nice thing about this game is that you can always move stuff along.

-jim
Well said [emoji106]
And yeah, places like this forum will ruin you, lol.
My passion is watches, more specifically, g-shocks... and even more specifically, the Squares!
But part of the reason why I'm so terrible is because of the watch forum, Watchuseek.
It's so easy to get caught up in the frenzy of new releases and awesome pictures of them and collections and blah blah blah...

In fact, lots of members take breaks from being on there because of that. It's probably what I should do, actually.
I'm up to 27 watches; 15 being G-Shock squares. And I'm eyeing another one from Japan on eBay... I need an intervention. [emoji46]

People don't make posts to say things like:
  • I was thinking about buying nothing, what do you think?
  • How do I store all this nothing I got on my latest spree?
  • Everything's going great, I haven't had to buy anything for years now.
  • I'm not having any problem shaving with the stuff I've been using for the past five years.
Haha, EXACTLY! *See my post above

Saving money was not the impetus for my moving into DE shaving.

Eliminating as much plastic waste from my life as possible is among my top priorities aside from simply seeking a better, more satisfying shaving experience.

Thus far, my vintage Gillette Pre-War Fat Handle Tech razor, an ample supply of Gillette Silver Blue blades, a puck of D.R. Harris Marlborough Soap in a wooden bowel, and my Simpson's 56 Best Badger brush virtually generated no plastic waste whatsoever and should continue to do so for good long time. Granted, the resin handle of the Simpson's brush was likely derived from petroleum hydrocarbons, but the net impact is reasonably minimal given the anticipated 10+ year lifespan of the brush (which could be re-knotted multiple times down the road).

I am even now considering aftershave(s) and other shaving products that do not contain plastic components or come in plastic containers.

From a purely economic standpoint, I consider myself a humble user of wet shaving products and not a collector; therefore, at some point following my initial investment and even with the occasional addition of some new triple milled soaps, aftershaves, blades, etc., I firmly contend that I will indeed "save" money as compared to using disposable plastic cartridge razors. More importantly, I will be doing my small part in saving our lovely home planet from the irreversible environmental effects of the petroleum/plastics industry.

Last edited:

I’m not sure I’m the exception - I have a couple dozen razors. I got lucky in that getting in early let me buy, clean & sell a few hundred razors for a little profit on each - it adds up. I made a nice little side business doing that for a couple of years. I cleaned out the local antique stores and bought a bunch on eBay. I sold almost exclusively on eBay.

I kept a couple dozen razors that I use, but there are only a few that get routine use. I should probably sell a few just to unclutter my den. Once prices stabilized, there was no incentive to keep buying & selling so I quit. It was fun while it lasted and it funded my hobby and put a bit in my pocket.

I am not above buying gear. I recently bought a Feather Artist Club Shavette. That was my first razor purchase in a few years. I like straights, but am not the best at keeping them sharp, hence the replaceable blade unit. It won’t be my daily shave, the 1934 Aristocrat has that role, but it works great to keep beard edges straight. It will also be a go to razor for the first pass after a few days off.

We also need to be careful making assumptions based on responses in here. The people that frequent a Shave Forum and respond are probably way farther down the rabbit hole than some guy who has his dad's Tech and buys Wilkinsons and Williams Brothers at the local supermarket and never gets on the B&B forums. He's just looking for a good shave, and could care less about our 'hobby'.

When people enjoying a “hobby” have to join together to encourage each other not to buy stuff for that “hobby” I see an issue.
Well, I don't think that's happening. But I do get the feeling like some posts are working hard to downplay how much this "hobby" is costing them, like it's a bad thing.

We also need to be careful making assumptions based on responses in here. The people that frequent a Shave Forum and respond are probably way farther down the rabbit hole than some guy who has his dad's Tech and buys Wilkinsons and Williams Brothers at the local supermarket and never gets on the B&B forums. He's just looking for a good shave, and could care less about our 'hobby'.

*couldn't
Sorry, reflexes

The main reason I only have 1 razor in my cabinet and only a couple brushes and soaps is I guess I'm a minimalist of sorts... Its the only explanation I can think of as I only ever remember buying maybe 8 cartridges at any one time and only had 1 razor I used with those cartridges and a puck of Williams to lather up back in the day so why change now.

When people enjoying a “hobby” have to join together to encourage each other not to buy stuff for that “hobby” I see an issue.
You are kind of missing something. People like to hang out, but they already have enough stuff. People on a sabbatical are trying to use up what they have and focus on other aspects of the hobby. They can't talk about the latest and greatist things to buy, so they find other things to talk about and have a little fun.

You are kind of missing something. People like to hang out, but they already have enough stuff. People on a sabbatical are trying to use up what they have and focus on other aspects of the hobby. They can't talk about the latest and greatist things to buy, so they find other things to talk about and have a little fun.
I’m in/on one.
and my post is my attempt to have a little fun.

Top Bottom