What's new

Anyone a Fan of Stirling "Texas on Fire" Soap and Witch Hazel?

During the winter months, I've found this to be a really nice one-two combination. The smoky scent, while relatively strong by Stirling standards, really has "warmed me up" outside psychologically, given the smokey fireside or charcoal barbecue visions they conjure up. The witch hazel version is also quite nice as the all-natural witch hazel they use as an ingredient does have a kind of smokey scent on its on and the "Texas on Fire" version really enhances it. The soap, like all Stirling shaving soaps, makes for a nice easy lather that's quite agreeable. Too bad winter's winding down here. Time to find something for the summer.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone is a fan of "Texas on Fire" as some of the reviewers on the Stirling site seem to think that the scent is a bit too much. Sometimes, when it is quite dry here, I will use their unscented post-shave balm and this calms the lingering WH scent down a little, while still allowing it to poke through in a subtle way.

I've never understood why when some people find a scent that they like so much only use it during certain months of the year!! If you like a scent I say use it year round and enjoy it as well.

I am an exclusive Stirling user and have found I like more of the menthol or glacial soaps like MITA, Satsuma, Frozen Tundra, & Orange Chill as well as darker like Bay Rum, Stirling Spice, and Sandpiper and just can't see not using them year round because I enjoy each one so much...

Eben Stone

Staff member
This is the least favorite scent ive ever smelled. I opened up a sample package containing ToF and I literally almost threw up. Went straight to the garbage can. Not at all a scent for me.
For some reason bonfire scented soaps remind me of birthday cake flavoring. No one gets it right. Texas on Fire, and TTFFC Through the Fire both have a smoky scent but after trying them a few times I realized they smell like...
someone threw up on a BBQ

That being said I'm glad to have tried them. It's made me realize i prefer woodsy sents over smoky scents.

One good thing to say about ToF scent is it seemed to match well with my new horse brush. The natural animal funk seemed to be cancelled out by the ToF scent. That was a pleasant surprise.

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I like it. I only use it occasionally however I’ve only visited Texas so I’m no expert 😊

For some reason bonfire scented soaps remind me of birthday cake flavoring. No one gets it right. Texas on Fire, and TTFFC Through the Fire both have a smoky scent but after trying them a few times I realized they smell like...
someone threw up on a BBQ

That being said I'm glad to have tried them. It's made me realize i prefer woodsy sents over smoky scents.

One good thing to say about ToF scent is it seemed to match well with my new horse brush. The natural animal funk seemed to be cancelled out by the ToF scent. That was a pleasant surprise.
Yes, I totally agree with that sentiment. I LOVE the smell of bonfires and smoke in a cool night sky...but for whatever reason, I haven't found a "smokey" fragrance that doesn't repulse me.

During the winter months, I've found this to be a really nice one-two combination. The smoky scent, while relatively strong by Stirling standards, really has "warmed me up" outside psychologically, given the smokey fireside or charcoal barbecue visions they conjure up. The witch hazel version is also quite nice as the all-natural witch hazel they use as an ingredient does have a kind of smokey scent on its on and the "Texas on Fire" version really enhances it. The soap, like all Stirling shaving soaps, makes for a nice easy lather that's quite agreeable. Too bad winter's winding down here. Time to find something for the summer.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone is a fan of "Texas on Fire" as some of the reviewers on the Stirling site seem to think that the scent is a bit too much. Sometimes, when it is quite dry here, I will use their unscented post-shave balm and this calms the lingering WH scent down a little, while still allowing it to poke through in a subtle way.
Do you bro. I hadn’t tried it but I could see how it would be a nice sent on those chill fall days or whatever. I am interested in trying tof at some point. It might be cool to mix it with another scent. The Stirling green is a bit too soapy smelling for me but giving a little Smokey mix might make it perfect

I've never understood why when some people find a scent that they like so much only use it during certain months of the year!! If you like a scent I say use it year round and enjoy it as well.

I am an exclusive Stirling user and have found I like more of the menthol or glacial soaps like MITA, Satsuma, Frozen Tundra, & Orange Chill as well as darker like Bay Rum, Stirling Spice, and Sandpiper and just can't see not using them year round because I enjoy each one so much...

I tend to divide things between the winter and summer months, so certain fragrances, like that of Texas on Fire, work well during the winter months for me (~mid October to ~mid April). Other fragrances, like Grand Bay's bay rum, I could use anytime of the year or everyday of the year.

Another seasonal thing here has to do with how dry the air is. In January-February, it is very dry in these climes, so witch hazels and post-shave balms work better for chapped and cracked skin. Hence my promotion of the "Texas on Fire" witch hazel, not the aftershave splash.

Last edited:
Thanks for chiming in everyone. As I like the stuff, I was hoping to find others that liked it as well, so as to encourage its sale in order that it will continue to be made and not discontinued given that many are put off by the scent.

Of course, no one is obliged to like it. ;-)

I used my sample of Texas on Fire earlier this week, and found that I actually like the scent now. The performance as a shave soap was always great, but the aroma put me off. But something has changed, and it's hard to define -- Stirling's got itself a soap and I wanna make it mine. . . .

My preference for some scents has a little bit to do with my body chemistry. When I'm pumping sweat in the hot Georgia sunshine some products don't mix with that very well.

It must be "East Texas on Fire" versus "West Texas on Fire" as I didn't make out much Mesquite in the scent when I got a sample. For me it was a polarizing scent on different days so I passed on buying a tub. Some days it reminded me of a clean burning bonfire scent (pleasant), while other days it reminded me of early morning wet campfire ashes (not so pleasant). What pushed me to a hard "no," was that on really bad days it reminded me of my janitor days and cleaning the Belgian Men's Club after Sunday night Bingo or a wedding--nothing like being reminded of cleaning 50-60 metal ash trays filled to the brim with (mostly) old-lady lipstick saturated cigarette butts. First, you'd have to dump all of the butts and ashes in the trash (causing a dust cloud) and then you had to soak/wash all of them in hot soapy water (because someone would invariably spill a drink into one) and dry them. Just the thought of wet cigarette ashes makes me gag, so ToF had to go!

Top Bottom