What's new

Anybody using long, DE style blades in their shavette?

A couple weeks ago, I bought my first shavette, and went with one that could carry both half DE blades and longer blades.

Shavettes seem to have a nasty reputation for being unforgiving and hard to learn, and some experts speculated long blades might make them behave a little more like straights, thus easier to use.

I also pondered that the extra length could come handy to make good straight lines when shaping my beard.

Fast forward, I've been shaving with Astra SPs and it would seem all of the "first shave = bloodbath!!1" posts were kind of overblown.

Nevertheless, I'm still wondering about some Tondeo TSS-3 blades, these have more in common with DE blades than a purpose-built blade like those used in the Feather Artist Club, is my belief. If wondering, people do report good success shaving with these blades, even though they might be meant for hair shapers (I'm not 100% sure).

To get to the point, then: does anybody use shavettes with long, DE style blades, and if so, what do you think are the pros and cons compared to regular half DEs ?

They are called kabinett blades, they are available from Germany, Japan and China.
Tondeo are proprietary. The razors they are generally used with are called Sifters.

I had looked at the Tondeo Sifter, but it seemed pretty similar to the Dovo Shavette and Boker Barberette, while at the same time costing almost twice as much as the Barberette.

Having no previous experience with any kind of straight razor, saving some money seemed like a decent idea in case the experiment backfired.

The Barberette should be compatible with TSS-3 blades, using the appropriate, included blade holder.

While I might get a pack of TSS-3 soon, they do seem relatively expensive, compared to DE blades - to the tune of thrice as much as a Feather Hi-Stainless (which I'm also planning to try in the shavette).

So, still interested in knowing what folks think about them, especially how they fare compared to DE blades.

There are many companies that market a sifter: Cerena, CRP, Dovo, Erbe, Euro Socap, Hercules, Jaguar/Tuckmar, Kutch, NTS, Erbe, Sibel IN, Takai, Tondeo, 4420, Basler, Lady B, and in a different style Miraki. They all use Cabinet blades, which can differ and be proprietary but will fit other sifter inserts.

The different types of Kabinett/Cabinet/A9 blades:

Cabinet.jpg

The different types of Kabinett/Cabinet/A9 blades:

View attachment 1160054
It's 8 years since I took the above photo. I believe they are a Jaguar or Dovo, obviously Tondeo, either Miraki or Nikky from Japan made by NRK. And possibly a generic NTS Solingen probably from Medyna. I now also have a few packs of Sibels IN which are also from NRK. Fourth from bottom is now a popular Chinese design, but not technically a cabinet blade.

Last edited:
Thanks, this is very interesting. I searched the forum previously for TSS 3 hits but could find almost nothing.

However, now I have been able to locate older, relevant discussions that escaped my earlier attempts.

Of all the products mentioned in these threads, the TSS-3 might be the only viable option for me at this time, other brands don't appear to be available cheaply/easily enough.

Some of those Chinese shavettes seem fairly nice, I must admit, though.

Top Bottom