What's new

Anybody Use Something for Shaving that Wasn't Intended for Shaving?

I am curious, though...

Many knives are made from a steel that would take and hold a shaving edge just fine, if someone were to hone them up with a shaving angle and edge...

Might make for a great vid - shaving with a big bowie knife like Dundee, only actually shaving - and comfortably!

1D5C11DC-96A7-43BD-8D6B-7A8AC19DD27B.jpeg

My first shave bowl. I made it from half a coconut, a coaster, and a hockey puck (with a little Gorilla glue and marine polyurethane).

Patti

On another forum Is saw an ad for using Listerine as an aftershave. Currently I'm using a little bowl sold for holding salsa. Got it from Dollar Tree. It's got a nice textured surface that's great for generating lather.

That's perfect, & looks really cool too! Make more, take them to an art show & I bet you could sell them for $40 each!

How does the coconut work for making lather?

Thanks, David. Haha, a coconut-coaster-hockey-puck shave bowl at an *art* show.

Bowl works great, better than some honest-to-goodness shave bowls I have since acquired.

Patti

Thanks, David. Haha, a coconut-coaster-hockey-puck shave bowl at an *art* show.

Bowl works great, better than some honest-to-goodness shave bowls I have since acquired.

Patti
I just went to an art show last weekend & it amazes me what some people are selling, & for how much they're selling it for. Your coconut-coaster-hockey-puck shave bowl would certainly be the only one like it at an art show.

Glad it's working for you!

I use a 3' length of string to hang my Badger Brush in front of a forced air duct outlet. It works perfectly to dry the brushes during the heating season.
MM879

Besides using them to make ashtrays I've used a giant clam shell as a soap dish. It works great as long as you aren't using a soap puck. I didn't try it but you should be able to melt down a piece of the puck and pour it into the shell and let it harden.

That reminds me of my homemade blade bank.

I took an empty tin can, cleaned it out, glued the lid back on (side opener), cut a slot in it, and spray painted it OD green. I wanted to make it military styled by stenciling "BANK, BLADE, M1" on it but the corrugated sides made it impossible. That reminds me, I should just hand paint that on the top.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I follow this interesting thread regularly. And come to think of it... “using something for shaving that wasn’t intended for shaving”... I’d actually have to say: MONEY! - I spend way too much money on vintage razors :001_rolle

Top Bottom