What's new

Anybody still using the same razor you started DE shaving with?

I just realized, of all the equipment I've tried, I'm still using the same Merkur 34C razor that I started with. Most everything else has changed (or as with software, been added to), but this one has been my constant.

Any of you, newbies or oldies, still using (even if in rotation) the same DE razor you started with? And, if so, which one?

+1: Everything else has changed (creams, soaps, etc..), but I'm still using my Merkur 34 C too. It's the best in my collection.

I still use the same Gillette G2 handle that I started using in 1985. Does that count? It even wasn't new then; it belonged to my dad.

Started with a DE89L, I picked it up again this week and had a fine shave with it. This was after a 6 month neglect period. Unfortunately there is just too much competition for it in my razor rotation.

Yes I still shave with the same EJ DE89,,the first safety razor I got,,despite having others from fatboy to slim to futur,,it is still in my rotation.

Hi,

I am still using the Early Tech (triangular slots) my dad gave me in 1976. He had used it before going into WWII, then could not find it when he came home, so bought a Late Tech (rectangular slots) at that point. Later on, of course, the older Tech was found. So, when I started shaving, it became mine.

Originally, I used it alone. Later, as second pass to a Red Tip, then a NEW Long Comb, and these days, a Slant. But, the Tech keeps on being used even so. It is also my travel razor since I only want to carry one razor along. :)

Stan

The first razor I purchased for my re-entry to the DE wet shaving world was a Gillette Travel Tech. My son thought he liked it and its case quite a bit, so I gave it to him. I also purchased a Merkur 34HD within the first month of wet shaving and it is my main razor.

Some very cool stories, here, gents. Thanks for sharing! Also, a great reminder for us dads to hang on to meaningful razors for our sons to inherit... someday. :wink2:

Up until a month ago, I still used my 40s Gillette English Rocket that my dad gave me when I started shaving in the early 70s. Since discovering that all razors (and blades) do not shave alike and contracting RAD a few weeks ago, I haven't touched it.

When I got back to DE shaving several years ago, I got an EJ DE87. Still use it. I did buy an OC razor and will use that for a week or so, then go back to the EJ.

Now, if I had kept some of the Gillette DEs that I used from the mid 60's up until late 70's or so, well then I'd have something.

My story was more of a "return" to DE shaving after a 35+ year experience with cartridges, disposables, etc. I found a $5 1957 Super Speed an an antique store about in 2011 and that kicked off my return to the light side. I still have and use that razor (my birth year!) along with about 10 other DE razors.

I still use the 1974 Gillette Super Speed that my girlfriend got me for Christmas. I use it in every rotation, and the last trip that I took out of town to see my dad, I used it in the hotel room. Shaved just like my dad did when he was on vacation long before I was born.

All I need now is a 1967 Gillette Super Speed, M4, and I'll have my father's exact razor model. I always miss them on the BST, though. :-(

i started out with an edwin jagger de 89 and sold it off pretty quickly after for a progress, which i still have, but seldom use, as i have switched to mostly se's

My very first one was a tech but soon thereafter I bought a FB and then a Slim and still use them. They have provided me with great shaves since 1958 and 1961 respectively.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
Yes I still do, an EJ DE8911. Although I am a newbie to DE shaving, I am not new to wet shaving. With that said, the Gillette Sensor I had is now long gone. I still have a Fusion that I use for head shaving.

I started with a Slim decades ago. Unfortunately I lost it many years ago, but I still use a Slim as well as some other razors, and the Slim still remains my favorite.

Top Bottom