What's new

Anybody still do their own canning?

Mrs Camjr and I have recently started doing some of our own canning and pickling. Is there anyone else out there that enjoys doing this? If so, what are you making?

So far, I've made 6 quart jars of spicy pickled okra, and yesterday made 7 quarts jars of hot mix with garlic, sliced jalepenos, carrots, and onion. Today, we're making bread and butter pickles with some red bell peppers and onion.

Looking forward to what you guys may be canning or pickling.

Cheers!

The wife doesn't do it too much but she still cans her own strawberry jam. Her sister cans a ton of stuff though: spiced apple rings, Giardiniera, rhubarb, tomato sauce, peeled tomatoes, homemade spaghetti sauce, pickles, assorted vegetables, pickled peppers and more. Everytime we visit her...I steal some of her handywork. Especially the spiced apple rings.

Our canning seems to go in spurts, and is directly related to how big of a garden we put in. We never do a ton of fruits, (rhubarb is the only thing we grow), but sometimes I will buy a flat of something, and make jam or sauce. We can a ton of tomatoes, green beans, corn, pickles, soups and spaghetti type sauces. I know one year I did over a hundred and fifty pints of just my spicy pickled green beans.

I wish I had time to do more. I love it, and it's a really good feeling when the pantry room is stuffed full going into winter.

During the summer I do okra, sun dried tomatoes, jalapeños, and some jelly. Last year I made a corn cob jelly that was great. Will also put up some salsa.

I used to do a lot, but now i do just jelly from raspberries Etc. just 2 of us here so not needed anymore

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Lost the garden last spring to the floods...it drowndeded so nothing this year.

Usually do what we decide to have in the garden. Okra, squash, cucumber, green beans, etc. The corn we freeze. I have some habaneros and japalenos from the year before last that I dried and then just put in mason jars...they are still good for cooking.

SWMBO said something about a week ago about getting the garden area mowed down and tilled...but it's still too wet, with the recent rains, to get the 600 pound mower out there and it's sure too wet to plow.

I don't can but I do make my own Portuguese styled pickled onions like my dad used to make. I also make my own sauerkraut. Better for you than store bought. It hasn't been heat treated like store bought sauerkraut so it still has the pro-biotics which is good for your gut. Easy too! I like easy.

Mike

We put away jars of tomato sauce, mushed whole tomatoes, pepper jelly and dill pickles, the freezer gets all the garden/market fruits for winter pies.

proxy.php

dave

I don't can but I do make my own Portuguese styled pickled onions like my dad used to make. I also make my own sauerkraut. Better for you than store bought. It hasn't been heat treated like store bought sauerkraut so it still has the pro-biotics which is good for your gut. Easy too! I like easy.

Mike

Tastes way better too. We make it in 10 liter crocks, but that too tends to depend on how well the cabbages do in the garden. If we have to buy the cabbages, we have found some fresh pack, fermented kraut that is nearly the same price. I almost can't eat regular store bought anymore after being spoiled by the real deal.

Tastes way better too. We make it in 10 liter crocks, but that too tends to depend on how well the cabbages do in the garden. If we have to buy the cabbages, we have found some fresh pack, fermented kraut that is nearly the same price. I almost can't eat regular store bought anymore after being spoiled by the real deal.

The real deal also still has that cabbage crunch!

Mike

I have preserved all kinds of jams and preserves, my favorite though is my Candied Jalepenos. sooooo tasty on brats and burgers!

Jam's and Jellys mostly, did some applesauce last year as well. I'd love to do tomato sauce, but I dont have a pressure canner.

Top Bottom