What's new

Anybody Reloading .22 TCM?

Truth be told, though the .22 TCM is a potent round, I have no real practical need for it nor the RIA 1911, Esox. I have this odd fascination with bottle-necked handgun firearms/cartridges & very much enjoy reloading for them.

“Being in Canada” ... yes, but y’all do have access to those Norinco NP 762 Sig Clones! Too bad I don’t live in Detroit & you in Windsor, eh? ;-))
This spot that I duck hunted a few years ago would make a dandy meeting place.
proxy.php

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

I have a 22 TCM and several boxes of ammo. I've never shot it. I bought it in a TCM/9mm double stack 1911 and promptly fit both 38 Super and a 9X23 barrels to the gun. Using 38 Super Comp (Rimless) brass, it functions flawlessly. All four cartridges use the same magazines. These are good guns and I'm most pleased with mine. It's accurate, reliable, and with 124 grain bullets, the equal of a 125 grain load .357 from a four inch revolver. The mags hold 17 rounds.
If I ever start shooting the TCM, I'll just buy a set of Lee dies and reload them. If the brass goes away, I'll cut down .223 brass and make my own. WW 296 and H110 both work well in the TCM, so powder won't be an issue. This is an easy one. Bill.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
I have a 22 TCM and several boxes of ammo. I've never shot it. I bought it in a TCM/9mm double stack 1911...
Being that I presently reside in the once-great state of Colorado, I had no other option than to go with a single-stack (Tact Ultra FS Combo) RIA ... which is fine, because I can use my Colt’s .38 Super mags in the RI. My introduction to the world of Filipino firearms got off to a dubious start after discovering factory marring (pic below) after arriving home, of course, from my FFL. The pistol is presently in Nevada where an apologetic RI rep promised to make “it right”. It certainly is a solid, seemingly well-built pistol and I look forward to putting it through its’ paces. Whose 9x23 barrel did you go with & I would imagine that you also beefed-up the recoil spring? Oh yea, good news on the powder front ... in addition to TCM, Western has recently added Accurate 11FS, 4100 & Ram Shot Enforcer to their .22 TCM cookbook.

I purchased a 3-die (Hornady) .22 TCM set (advertised as a 2-die set) on-sale, & also picked up a LEE FC die for good measure. Hornady’s ‘floating’ expander die will be a new adventure for me, but as with the pistol, those Hornady dies are well-designed & overbuilt.

And so I wait for the pistol...

Last edited:
OUCH!! Those gouges were done at the factory, no doubt about it. Arnel will make it right. They do excellent work.
I own two of the Armscor guns. I also own some 1911s that I paid 3X or 4X as much money for. I'm impressed with the Armscor guns. I even stripped a single stack, polished it out, re-blued it and had a set of water buffalo bone grips made for it. It's my BBQ gun and it rides around in Del Fatti leather. It is a single stack Super.
Sorry about the single stack/double stack thing. I understand. I am leaving Washington next May (retiring) and moving to a state more supportive of my hobbies.

But I like weird things like the .219 Donaldson Wasp and a couple that aren't in any book so I'm not the voice of reason.

A man after my heart. There is a Swift Ackley and a 22-6mm in the safe. Currently, I'm thinking about running an Ackley reamer in my 22-250.
I'm in the unfortunate position of living just up the road from Benchmark Barrels. I have to move when I retire. I can't afford to live this close to those guys. They have built a gun or two for me. The Swift AI, 22-6mm, 17 Remington, 25-06 bull barrel bench gun, and a 6.5X284. I really want a 6mm BR. I need to move before I make the decision to do that.

I'm not the voice of reason either.

Bill.

...and if so, which die set did you decide on?
Thanks

Hi Joe

I've been reloading 22tcm for about a year now. I bought the Hornady three die set just because everything I have is Hornady and I've been happy with their quality.

The first day I picked up my pistol ( the 22tcm\9mm combo ) I only bought one box of ammo for it. As soon as I got home with it I gave it a quick swabbing out and headed outside with it. The 50 rounds lasted me about a half hour at most. As soon as I shot my last round I walked back inside and ordered 5000 rounds through Ammo Supply Warehouse. I was hooked.

When I got my order, they had sent me not only the 40g rounds I had ordered but they had mixed 250 rounds of 39r which were in nickel cases that I hadn't ordered. At first I was a little put off that they had sent me something I hadn't ordered but after shooting a box of them I realized it was a God send because although I didn't want the 39g bullets, I knew I wanted the nickel cases.

About a week later I ordered 1000 primed nickel cases, 1000 40g bullets, the hornady dies and two pounds of TCM powder.

I like the nickel cases because they seem to not need lubing when I resize them. Even though they were brand new I ran them through the sizer simply because I would then know they were sized properly. I also ran them through the case trimmer.

I've experimented with both Armscor and Hornady bullets and have decided that the Armscor are the way to go. The Hornady's are ok but I have to seat them deeper in the case and I didn't like the way they looked as deep as I had to seat them. I also wanted to stick with a 40g bullet. As far as powder goes I loaded a bit on the light side ( 8.8g ) because even with some of the factory rounds I experienced some case expansion that caused me to ram a couple cases out and it seemed like I was getting a bit better accuracy. As far as the cases sticking it could have been a break in issue but the load seems to be working out fine.

This pistol has the smoothest action of any pistol I own or have racked. I literally can not feel any metal rubbing against metal when I pull the slide back and let it go. I'm hooked for life on both the pistol and round.

Attachments

• Press Large e-mail view.jpg
    Press Large e-mail view.jpg
    584.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Grips 2.0.jpg
    Grips 2.0.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
I even stripped a single stack, polished it out, re-blued it and had a set of water buffalo bone grips made for it. It's my BBQ gun and it rides around in Del Fatti leather....
That sounds like gorgeous combo, Mhinagoya - any photos of the duo? Del Fatti ... yessir, when it comes to leather rigs, there’s Matt & then there’s everyone else.

...About a week later I ordered 1000 primed nickel cases, 1000 40g bullets, the hornady dies and two pounds of TCM powder...I like the nickel cases...I also wanted to stick with a 40g bullet.

This pistol has the smoothest action of any pistol I own or have racked. I literally can not feel any metal rubbing against metal when I pull the slide back and let it go. I'm hooked for life on both the pistol and round.
younglou, the only issue I now have with the .22TCM are the Ammo Supply Warehouse boxes that the cases & bullets ship in. With all those grade school-esque cutesy faces & one-liners stamped on the box, not to mention that circa-50s smiling man next to the surreptitious return address, pointing toward & declaring that “There’s Happiness Inside This Box”, I can only think that UPS handlers have the contents figured for a sex toy!! 😆

I’ve been quite pleased with the Hornady dies, TCM powder and Armscor’s (nickel) cases & 40gr bullets. I recall reading that there have been issues with brass cases & that most prefer the newer nickel cases.

Did you discover that your fired cases were in need of trimming? I treat my spent TCM cases as I do my .357 Sig, 7.62x25 & most other handgun brass by forgoing the trimmer.

I agree that the RIA .22TCM is well built, smooth as silk & certainly underpriced. And did I mention that the pistol is as much fun to shoot as anything in the safe?

My son, who lives back east, asked what I‘d like for Christmas, so I sent him the link to ASW/40gr bullets. Unfamiliar with the .22TCM, he joked, “What are those for, your pellet rifle”? He flies out for Christmas and the first thing he wants to see is the RIA & the round it shoots. Laughing, he declares, “Wow, that case sure holds a lot of powder.”

At the range, we finally get around to the RIA & not knowing what to expect, you would have thought that he was about to put a Whermacht 88 through its paces by the way he was gripping the pistol! After discharging the first round, he sets the 1911 down, turns around & starts laughing about the flame, the report & the nominal recoil. Some guy on an adjacent lane, walks over with eyes as wide as saucers & asks, “What in the world is he shooting”?! I tell him & a few minutes later, have him put a couple mags through the RIA. Judging by his reaction, you would have thought that I had just told him to keep the 1911 ... tells me that when he gets home, the first thing he is going to do is order a Tac Ultra FS Combo.

One more thing ... with as much fun as the .22TCM is to shoot, I seriously doubt that I’ll ever use the 9mm barrel.

Top Bottom