What's new

Anybody play cowboy?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Was wondering if anyone did any Cowboy Action Shooting. There's a SASS affiliated club about 30 miles from me and I've been thinking about going over there and watching a match.

BadlandsBar3

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I really like watching it. Have never even thought about participating. I don't think I could hit the broad side of a barn with a single action six.

I have went to a couple of events to see if I wanted to get in to it. I had a good time the people were very friendly and loved to talk about the hobby. I ended up moving and have not had a chance to look in to it where I am now. I think I will have to look in to it again. This is not a cheap hobby to jump in to. You need a rifle, a shot gun, 2 pistols, holsters and clothing.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Rumor has it @Jim is a cowboy. :cowboy:

I wouldn't mind checking out a match. But I don't think I could do it. I'm to old to get in to that.

I tried it (with borrowed guns) at an intro event. It was a blast! It is an investment in hardware but a really great group and the events are a lot of fun for the whole family. Definitely check out the match. If I had a local SASS opportunity I would make the investment.

Tom

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That's what I'm debating there Tom.

I have went to a couple of events to see if I wanted to get in to it. I had a good time the people were very friendly and loved to talk about the hobby. I ended up moving and have not had a chance to look in to it where I am now. I think I will have to look in to it again. This is not a cheap hobby to jump in to. You need a rifle, a shot gun, 2 pistols, holsters and clothing.

I have the cow pony outfit that I got several years ago on a lark. Canvas pants, Y back suspenders, a paisley band collar shirt and a white with blue stripes V neck with buttons, a camel colored vest, a cheap, unshaped hat that I had the brim trimmed a bit so it would look better on me and shaped the crown myself. I also have an array of modern cowboy hats. I have several cow pony boots, but the most authentic ones are some old Border Patrol riding boots that have been sitting in the closet for years. I looked at the authentic boots years ago...dang they are expensive.

I also have an authentic gun rig from El Paso Saddlery for my 1894 black powder frame Colt Model P, but no way I'm using that antique Colt in a match. I've perused the Uberti and Cimarron Arms sites, and it looks like the Cimarron Arms Model P and the side hammer shotgun may be doable, but that replica '73 Winchester is way high.

Sigh.

Been a SASS member, Woodchip Willie, off and on the last 15 years. Local clubs both got real funny, more about getting their friends the outrageous door prizes, than fair play. Dillon 650s, Ruger Vaqueros, etc., are the door prizes. When a cowboy drops his gun and DQs on a stage, yet is awarded the proper number of points for the stage to win the Vaquero for the top door prize, and he won the top prize the preceding two months, then I give up.

Aside from that, the shoots were a lot of fun, lots of standing around, but most on a posse have tasks to keep them engaged in the match.

Nope, not enough time for things I have to do. However, a guy I work with loves it. His rod and gun club has a Cowboy action group where each one picks a "cowboy name."

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have the cow pony outfit that I got several years ago on a lark. Canvas pants, Y back suspenders, a paisley band collar shirt and a white with blue stripes V neck with buttons, a camel colored vest, a cheap, unshaped hat that I had the brim trimmed a bit so it would look better on me and shaped the crown myself. I also have an array of modern cowboy hats. I have several cow pony boots, but the most authentic ones are some old Border Patrol riding boots that have been sitting in the closet for years. I looked at the authentic boots years ago...dang they are expensive.

I also have an authentic gun rig from El Paso Saddlery for my 1894 black powder frame Colt Model P, but no way I'm using that antique Colt in a match. I've perused the Uberti and Cimarron Arms sites, and it looks like the Cimarron Arms Model P and the side hammer shotgun may be doable, but that replica '73 Winchester is way high.

Sigh.

Oh yeah, you're in! You will likely need to add your stache expenses to your shooting and reloading commitment! Good shooting and fun!

Tom

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oh, and I have Dad's old spurs. Notice the double button attachment of the straps. I never used them much, just my heels. Never had a problem with my horses...they behaved just fine...mostly.

The mounted competition does look interesting.

IMG_0004.JPG

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Our range does SASS; I've seen it.

.45 Colt is about my favorite round; love shooting my Ruger Bisley SS convertible ... but do not get into the dress-up thing, personally.

There is an appeal to that real leather, though. Dang, Mike; that rig is pretty.

AA

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I would like to see one myself. There are a couple within an hours drive of the Dallas area. There are a bunch of them in Texas, but it does not look like there are any right in the DFW area.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
There is an appeal to that real leather, though. Dang, Mike; that rig is pretty.

AA

Yeah, El Paso Saddlery makes some top notch stuff, but it just doesn't have the same sound as drawing a Glock from one of those plastic holsters. :biggrin1:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Glocks have no soul; none. The Bic lighter of pistols; always work and completely unexciting.

A worn Colt and a well-thumbed Zippo, now; that appeals to me.

AA

Glocks have no soul; none. The Bic lighter of pistols; always work and completely unexciting.

A worn Colt and a well-thumbed Zippo, now; that appeals to me.

AA
I'm OK with "always worksand completely unexciting" if in a bad situation - grin. However, I must admit that one of these days I would like a revolver, which I understand are also quite reliable.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Found a few youtube videos put up by the Badlands Bar 3 club over in Red River County.

That looks like an awesome way to spend an afternoon. Plus, I could wear my cowboy hat. Everyone up here looks at me strange when they see me with it on ...

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I read somewhere shotguns were more popular in the old west than one thinks ... because middle-aged eyesight isn't what it once was. Shootists would trade in the six-shooter for a double-barrel, at some (realistic) point.

AA

Top Bottom