What's new

Anybody here use a shim with their razor?

I've been using a shim with my Mühle R89 for the last couple of days and was interested in hearing whether anyone else in GSL had experience modifying their usual shave gear.

I am a big fan of the R89 (and most things Mühle) but have sometimes been left wondering whether I could get closer shave from it without needing additional passes. In addition to the R89 I have an open comb and a couple of straights, also several different blades in regular rotation, so can easily vary shave results using a different set of equipment. However, I was particularly interested to see whether the mild, smooth R89 could be encouraged to give me a closer shave without having to risk irritation from resorting to extra passes.

I spent some time researching how other people have changed the 'aggressiveness' of their razor using a trimmed blade as a shim on the bottom plate of their razor. I was surprised by how easy it was to cut a blade, so decided to try it for myself.

I experimented with trimming just the sharp edge of a blade, then slightly more until I had what I thought would be enough to change the profile of the razor head and blade without doing anything crazy with blade gap, exposure, etc. The shim I settled on has about 2mm removed from each of the sharp edges, so is still big enough to lift the cutting blade from the base without massively altering the 'bend' applied to the blade by the cap.

I've had two full shaves with the shim in place on the R89 and the difference is subtle, but noticeable. I get the distinct impression that the blade has more contact with my face - not as much as the open comb, but more than I usually get with the closed comb - without being overly aggressive. No difference in the audible feedback I get, and no blade 'chatter' that some people mention. I feel like I get a slightly improved shave that lasts longer before the 'five o'clock shadow' is evident. Also, because I don't need addition passes I get no weepers or irritation (which is common if I resort to 4 passes or more). I'll persevere with the shim for my usual 5 shaves with a blade and gauge whether the improvement is consistent. If I can achieve what I consider a DFS or BBS every time I will be happy.

Anybody else tried this? Any variations on size of shim, number of shims, positioning of shim? Am I really getting a closer shave or am I imagining it? All comments welcomed.

I don't think one shim will be noticeable in terms of the increased blade gap-->aggressiveness. One definitely can have an impact in terms of smoothness by altering the base of support for the blade in designs where the baseplate doesn't fully support the blade. I use them in my Merkurs and others.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've shimmed a Feather AS-D2 and Timeless 0.68 SB using a blade with 1-2mm trimmed off each side. In the Timeless the difference was subtle, like your experience, but didn't really improve the shave for me, it just felt like I have better contact and feedback. As for results, it may have been closer, but it was also more irritating which isn't really an improvement for me.

The Feather on the other hand went from mild to serious with one shim. It was definitely possible to get a better shave, but it was also possible to do some damage too. In the end the Feather didn't really perform for me, shim or no.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Most DE blades are .004 thickness (I measured with micrometer) and so your blade is sitting prouder by .004 thousands of a inch.

Top Bottom