What's new

Anybody filling out a bracket for the NCAA tourney?

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Also wanted to point out that Abilene Christian made the tourney this year, congrats to the Wildcats!

And I had no idea that the Grand Canyon had a basketball team.....

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
@Owen Bawn I figure you are surely pulling for Loyola Chicago to make another deep run ;)
Last year I picked Dayton for the FF way back at Thanksgiving. I still say they would have made it, but we'll never know. I see Indiana just fired former Dayton coach Archie Miller-- Dayton is a place where coaches make a name for themselves so that they can get a big payday at a power conference for 3 or 4 years before being fired- most recently Miller, Brian Gregory at Georgia Tech... other than money I don't see why a coach would leave Dayton. No pressure, a b-ball mad town, they sell out a 13,500 seat arena each night, and the A10 is a relatively easy route to the big dance. How many ACC teams draw over 13k per night?

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
How many ACC teams draw over 13k per night?

Well, considering Cameron seats less than 10,000, obviously Duke is not. Of course nobody is drawing a crowd during this strange year. But yes, that is impressive, not too many college basketball teams anywhere are playing to a crowd like that during a regular year. If I were going to venture a guess for ACC teams, I would say UNC, NC State, Louisville, Syracuse, and maybe Virginia and/or Maryland.

SEC I would say Kentucky and Tennessee definitely, that's probably it.....

B10 I would say Ohio State, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue, and probably Wisconsin, not sure if anybody else, Illinois maybe?

B12 I would say Kansas for certain, maybe Texas or Texas Tech? Baylor might but I don't think their arena is all that big...

PAC10 - Probably nobody....maybe Arizona?

Other teams with regular large home crowds would be Memphis, Creighton, Marquette, & BYU.

Gonzaga, Villanova, & Duke all have rich basketball tradition but they are small enrollment schools who play in smaller arenas. I'm guessing their games would be a blast to attend in person.

Last edited:
Having been born and raised in Champaign, IL I'm following this year. I was working for the Champaign newspaper the last time Illinois had a comparable team to the one this year. It was certainly a heady run. Overall not a big sports fan, but have always enjoyed college level because of the psychological element is such a bigger factor than in the pros.

My wife, daughter, and I always fill out our brackets and compete for bragging rights. My daughter has won 4 out of the last 6 years.
You can’t fault her methodology: she goes by a combination of who would win in Mascot Vs. Mascot showdown and if we know anyone who went to the school or lives in the state.
I always lose and I’m the only one who follows NCAA Basketball.

Well, considering Cameron seats less than 10,000, obviously Duke is not. Of course nobody is drawing a crowd during this strange year. But yes, that is impressive, not too many college basketball teams anywhere are playing to a crowd like that during a regular year. If I were going to venture a guess for ACC teams, I would say UNC, NC State, Louisville, Syracuse, and maybe Virginia and/or Maryland.

SEC I would say Kentucky and Tennessee definitely, that's probably it.....

B10 I would say Ohio State, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue, and probably Wisconsin, not sure if anybody else, Illinois maybe?

B12 I would say Kansas for certain, maybe Texas or Texas Tech? Baylor might but I don't think their arena is all that big...

PAC10 - Probably nobody....maybe Arizona?

Other teams with regular large home crowds would be Memphis, Creighton, Marquette, & BYU.

Gonzaga, Villanova, & Duke all have rich basketball tradition but they are small enrollment schools who play in smaller arenas. I'm guessing their games would be a blast to attend in person.

This is the final numbers from 2019 - since 2020 was a weird year I didn't even look:

NCAA BBALL ATTENDANCE 2019

I didn't watch much bball this year - 1) we didn't have a streaming package most of the season and 2) my UK team was historically bad and didn't inspire a desire to spend money just to watch us lose

I just asked my family if they wanted to do it and they all said "eh, not really"a

However I am VERY excited about Thursday for the start of the really important sports tournament: Canadian Mixed Doubles Curling Tournament

I didn't watch much bball this year - 1) we didn't have a streaming package most of the season and 2) my UK team was historically bad and didn't inspire a desire to spend money just to watch us lose

I just asked my family if they wanted to do it and they all said "eh, not really"a

However I am VERY excited about Thursday for the start of the really important sports tournament: Canadian Mixed Doubles Curling Tournament
Sweep, Sweep, Sweep!
I couldn’t believe how fun it was to watch when I first saw it. The broadcasters are too funny with the commentary.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I'm old enough to remember when the NIT was considered a more prestigious post season tournament than the NCAAs.

Well I’m off to a great start...1-3 in first 4. Daughter is already 4-0! Looks like I’m going to lose again.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Some great games and plenty of upsets in the first round. 3 of the 14 seeds advance to the second round.

Made a point to watch USC last night as the coach is the former FGCU coach who led them on that run in the tourney a few years ago. It was so exciting watching them attack Georgetown. They smoked Kansas last night!

Last edited:

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Folks, I have watched 3 really really good basketball games today. Which is ridiculous, this is the most college basketball I've watched in forever, but these games today have been excellent. Not sure I've got enough gas in the tank to stay up and watch this last 9:55 tip off.....

Top Bottom