What's new

Anybody ever try to restore one of those tiny little Gillette travel set brushes?

Sorry if that's vague. I'm talking about the ones that you normally see as Single Ring sets. They contain two blade boxes, the razor, a circular shave stick tin, a circular brush container, and a tiny brush. I have a set in near-mint condition, and I'd like to restore the brush... but it is extremely small. I'd guess it at about 10 - 12mm, if that. I know you can't get anything that small from TGN.

Thanks in advance!

P

Pjotr

Sorry if that's vague. I'm talking about the ones that you normally see as Single Ring sets. They contain two blade boxes, the razor, a circular shave stick tin, a circular brush container, and a tiny brush. I have a set in near-mint condition, and I'd like to restore the brush... but it is extremely small. I'd guess it at about 10 - 12mm, if that. I know you can't get anything that small from TGN.

Thanks in advance!

I read somewhere in the brush restore section where somebody actually shaved the knot down, in his case from 20 to 18mm diameter (from memory). Can't see why you couldn't take that a step further and reduce a 16mm knot to 12mm. The loft could well be the problem though. You don't want to shave the tips.

I've got one of those, it measures 16.5mm so maybe a 16mm knot would work. Havent done a restore on it so I have no evidence if it will work.By the way if your set is near mint why would you need to restore it?

I tried. The knot on mine was shedding badly. I measured it at 14mm and got a 14mm replacement knot from Blankity-Blanks. Unfortunately the handle was very brittle and the top half shattered. I discovered that the handle is two pieces and the bottom half screws into the top half. If you're lucky, and the halves aren't glued together, you can unscrew the bottom half and get at the old knot that way.

Top Bottom