What's new

Anybody else use two razors for a single shave?

My general routine is to use my 6C with the #5 plate for a 3-pass shave. But I follow this up with a Slim Adjustable set on 8 to touch up my neck area. Maybe the Slim is more aggressive than the 6C on that setting. Maybe it is a size issue that allows me to more effectively shave those tough areas. Maybe it is a weight issue that gives me more feel/touch. But I find that if I use my 6C to get that close I end up with a nick, burn or both.

Thoughts?

Why do you use the 6-c at all then ?
Several reasons. I like the weight and I think this contributes to the smooth feel of the shave. I have tried using the Slim and I end up with razor burn if I use the 8 setting on all three passes.

For your next question, why not use the adjustability of the Slim and experiment? I probably will, but right now I HAVE the 6C and selling it here in Japan is going to incur a loss. And my system works. I have a couple of Superspeed razors, had a Feather and nothing has proved to be able to get as close of a shave with as little irritation. It requires a couple minutes more in clean up. Also, when I made my shaving bowl I had a bit of extra clay and made a rough razor holder to keep both razors handy.

Attachments

• 864EF206-3005-4C4C-B6FE-8D14713C1D37.jpeg
    864EF206-3005-4C4C-B6FE-8D14713C1D37.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
One razor for me. Even if I make a mess of it. If I'm using something I'm not familiar with, and fail to get full clean up, I consider it my duty to wear the stubble of shame, until I get competent. As Greydog says, if I need razor two to clean up after razor one, what's the point of using razor one.

The only exception, is if I'm attending some kind of function. I might use the shavette to line up my sideburns or goatee a little more precisely after a DE shave.

If I'm using something I'm not familiar with, and fail to get full clean up, I consider it my duty to wear the stubble of shame, until I get competent.

Depending on the day, I might end up not feeling perfectly happy with the situation under my jawline. But I prefer the feel of shaving action of the 6C. It is just cumbersome under the jawline. And I HAVING other razors I discovered that there is a better tool for that last area.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Several reasons. I like the weight and I think this contributes to the smooth feel of the shave. I have tried using the Slim and I end up with razor burn if I use the 8 setting on all three passes.

For your next question, why not use the adjustability of the Slim and experiment? I probably will, but right now I HAVE the 6C and selling it here in Japan is going to incur a loss. And my system works. I have a couple of Superspeed razors, had a Feather and nothing has proved to be able to get as close of a shave with as little irritation. It requires a couple minutes more in clean up. Also, when I made my shaving bowl I had a bit of extra clay and made a rough razor holder to keep both razors handy.

If you have a system that works for you that is great .
I sometimes shave with 3 razors at once sometimes 2 adjustable at once , I just like the variety .
I mostly use One but just now and then I will go with multiple Razors .

I sometimes shave with 3 razors at once sometimes 2 adjustable at once, I just like the variety.
I figured that I couldn’t be terminally unique on this. Being semi-retired I have plenty of time to enjoy the process. And ‘enjoying the process’ was NOT on my radar when I got into wet shaving, but simply a result of finding my granddad’s shave cup at a time I was considering the matter of economics. Having the time, I both use it and enjoy it.

I like variety, too. My birthyear 1954 Superspeed has been replated in rhodium and I love it. And with the Slim coming behind it, I can get pretty much the same shave as with the 6C. With more work with the Slim. And it has a different feel. So for now it’s the 6C/Slim.

Have you tried the 6 plate on your 6C for your third pass &/or touch up?
I’ve tried it for the regular shave but I get more irritation while still needing some touchup on the neck. Trying to touch up my neck with the 6C is cumbersome. Picking up the Slim is simply easier and it works.

But I am still experimenting. It may be a matter of using the right blade. I use Gillette Nacet, Rubie, Silver Blue, Indian Black Super Platinum and PolSilver. All give pretty much the same results. The Gillette SharpEdges work almost as well. Especially for touchup. I have four razors, two of which are adjustable, and with that many blades, there are lots of combos. I think tomorrow I will try my ‘54 SuperSpeed followed by my Slim.

You haven't found your unicorn razor yet.
Don’t remind me. I’ve been read about the Merkur Slants, as they are supposed to be aggressive. The 37C is likely a better option for maneuverability in the jawline area, yet at the same time, maybe the longer handle of the 39C would be better. I just decided to try to be content and then you dangle a carrot. ;-)

One razor for me. Even if I make a mess of it. If I'm using something I'm not familiar with, and fail to get full clean up, I consider it my duty to wear the stubble of shame, until I get competent. As Greydog says, if I need razor two to clean up after razor one, what's the point of using razor one.

The only exception, is if I'm attending some kind of function. I might use the shavette to line up my sideburns or goatee a little more precisely after a DE shave.

I too will wear the stubble of shame unless I have a customer meeting.

One razor per shave, most of the time. On adjustables, I will dial it down for the ATG pass.

Occasionally, I will use a BIC Sensitive disposable to touch up under my chin and neck. It seems to clean it up well without irritation.

97% of the time, it's just one razor, unless I'm auditioning something really strange or risky, then I keep a backup "parachute" handy.

When I try a new blade or razor I bring an old reliable too in case the newbie is a complete disaster. Unless the results are pretty bad, I'll usually finish the shave to see if things improve during the shave.
If different razors work better on different areas of your face, then enjoy! You get to enjoy two razors every time you shave. Sounds good to me!

Why would you not use more than one razor? My bathroom is filled with different choices in every category. I occasionally use a Mach 3 for a clean-up pass. The Mach 3 preforms much better in the turkey neck areas. Think results!
MM879

I like using straights--but don't always have time for three passes or the results on a given day aren't great. In those cases, I'll do a final ATG pass with a DE razor. I have no problem if someone likes to alternate razors if that gives them the best result. There's no right or wrong and no reason to stop doing what works for you.

Hello,

When I want to shave my 10 days beard, I start with my "ATT Open Comb Slant" for the first pass.

Then I continue with my Merkur, as it is less agressive.

Take care
YouYou

Top Bottom