What's new

Anybody else miss shaving with just one razor?

Certainly do not have as many razors as some here have.

Still, after going through the razor blade thing, I am beginning to turn my attention to the razors I have out.

Several days ago, I put the 34c away because I don't get quite as close of a shave as one of the R89's, though it is easier to shave with.

I think I will keep things down to the DE89, a R41 head and the Rocca R94. After a while, I may still scale things back.

You are right. I just want to grab my razor, shave with it and be done!

I do not miss it at all. I have 25-30 razors; an even mix of new and old. I love using them all and enjoy being pleasantly surprised by the excellent performance one gives after we become estranged for a while. I like using different types of DESRs, too - open and closed combs, slants, adjustables and SEs. I like brushes, too. Can’t have just one - need one of each type. Oh, and you can add soaps and creams to that also. Ditto, splashes and sprays. Damn, I think I’ve got a problem.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
We head home in two days after a 7 week trip and I’ve had nice shaves with the 2 razors I’ve had with me but I’ll be glad to be home where the razor selections are more plentiful, truth be told.

I did bring along the little 3D printed new & used blade storage unit @luvmysuper so nicely printed for me so I had a selection of DE blades on hand. I tried and loved using Perma-Sharp blades for the first time.

But the conclusion to which I arrived is what I had previously: I like being able to choose from a group of 6 or 7 great razors on a whim.

I do not miss it at all. I have 25-30 razors; an even mix of new and old. I love using them all and enjoy being pleasantly surprised by the excellent performance one gives after we become estranged for a while. I like using different types of DESRs, too - open and closed combs, slants, adjustables and SEs. I like brushes, too. Can’t have just one - need one of each type. Oh, and you can add soaps and creams to that also. Ditto, splashes and sprays. Damn, I think I’ve got a problem.
Manye

You have many razors and a large variety, at that. Sounds like you use many different blades, brushes, soaps, etc. also. I could be mistaken.

Questions

Does each razor really shave that differently?

Do various blades really provide very different shaves?

Do SE’s razors and blades provide very different shaves compared to DE’s?

I am a vintage SE user. I have been wet shaving for about two years now. I do not use brushes, soaps, etc. I look forward to my daily shave.

I use only one razor type as my daily driver with my choice of two SE blades. I only use one brand of clear shaving gel with a pre shave oil base. I like to see what I am shaving while I am shaving.

I only use one razor head type, but I use a variety of different handles with it. This razor type comes with handles, long or short and with or without knurling.

I like the fact that I know what to expect from the one razor head type. To me the different handles types provide expected, slightly different shaves.

The handle type I use on a given day is base on my mood that day, and the number of times I have used the blade. I use a blade 3-4x before I toss it.

Yes I have tried several different razor types. They all shaved a little different and provided good shaves.

The many reasons I enjoy shaving with just one SE razor type with different handle variations, two different blades only and one brand of shaving gel, are probably similar to the many reasons you enjoy your many different razor types.

Our different roads, drive us to the same desired destination. A great shave.

Continue to enjoy your shaves. Comfort, efficiency and satisfaction is what wet shaving is all about.

My old razor was a yellow monster that wanted to be fed a new $6.- blade each week. And it still regularly bit me.

Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 15.41.06.png

Do I miss feeling ripped off? No. Do I miss the yellow monstrosity? No. I never looked back, not once.

Do I sometimes miss the way I carelessly threw the handle, the little suction cup and a packaged blade in my travel bag, and the way the silicone handle never even slipped a nanometer in my hands? Yeah. Call me a heathen, but I wrap rubber bands around too-smooth metal handles.

However, the pro list is still a lot longer: healthier skin, better shaves as a result of finally learning technique, more affordable, more fun and a nice relaxing moment in my day I didn't have before. And when I'm in a rush, I can still grab my go-to smooth combination and a canned shaving gel so I can shave at cartridge-speed for a DFS. I like learning, experimenting and the range of options/results now available to me.

Choice can also be a source of stress though. If you miss the straightforwardness of having only one option, just stick to one razor + blade + cream combo for a while and box everything else up until you're bored. (If that moment doesn't come, you could always sell/donate the rest of your stash.)

Manye

You have many razors and a large variety, at that. Sounds like you use many different blades, brushes, soaps, etc. also. I could be mistaken.

Questions

Does each razor really shave that differently?

Do various blades really provide very different shaves?

Do SE’s razors and blades provide very different shaves compared to DE’s?

I am a vintage SE user. I have been wet shaving for about two years now. I do not use brushes, soaps, etc. I look forward to my daily shave.

I use only one razor type as my daily driver with my choice of two SE blades. I only use one brand of clear shaving gel with a pre shave oil base. I like to see what I am shaving while I am shaving.

I only use one razor head type, but I use a variety of different handles with it. This razor type comes with handles, long or short and with or without knurling.

I like the fact that I know what to expect from the one razor head type. To me the different handles types provide expected, slightly different shaves.

The handle type I use on a given day is base on my mood that day, and the number of times I have used the blade. I use a blade 3-4x before I toss it.

Yes I have tried several different razor types. They all shaved a little different and provided good shaves.

The many reasons I enjoy shaving with just one SE razor type with different handle variations, two different blades only and one brand of shaving gel, are probably similar to the many reasons you enjoy your many different razor types.

Our different roads, drive us to the same desired destination. A great shave.

Continue to enjoy your shaves. Comfort, efficiency and satisfaction is what wet shaving is all about.
Psychtec, I do think particular razors have a particular feel and that different blades can either complement or detract from performance. I enjoy experimenting. I’m after more than a good shave and razors are more than just tools. They are objects of design and function. They are part of an important daily ritual for me. I like using different ones and look forward to being attentive and engaged during this time rather than in auto pilot. Of course, I have my favourites, but variety is something I do not want to forgo.
Happy shaving, friend.

Psychtec, I do think particular razors have a particular feel and that different blades can either complement or detract from performance. I enjoy experimenting. I’m after more than a good shave and razors are more than just tools. They are objects of design and function. They are part of an important daily ritual for me. I like using different ones and look forward to being attentive and engaged during this time rather than in auto pilot. Of course, I have my favourites, but variety is something I do not want to forgo.
Happy shaving, friend.
Manye

Thank you for your response.

I agree with you. A razor and a razor blade ARE more than just tools. They are a daily experience I look forward to.

When I shave, I too am not on auto pilot. I am also very attentive and engaged when shaving, soaking in the tactile and auditory experiences.

Have a nice day and enjoy your next shave.

I do, especially when it comes to DE and blades. It also happens that I found a DE which fits my needs (Timeless SS polished with 0.68 and 0.95 plates). I sold or gave away all the other razors I had.

Now, I am trying to do the same with my straight razor collection, but this seems to be harder than I though as most of them are special to me. I still have like 15-20 razors and will probably get rid of another 5. But most of the time I shave with ~5 razors, while the other ones are more of a "sunny Sunday trip".

This is funny ... I was just thinking of this today.
For years I shaved for work every day and used a cartridge razor and Barbasol shave cream and never thought one thing about it. It was just something that had to be done, like taking out the trash or doing the dishes.
That changed when I got into wet shaving several months ago.
I now have five razors with a 6th on the way.
I have 8 different soaps/shave creams.
I have 231 blades from 17 different brands or sub brands.
So every day, my first choice is: "What razor do I use today? Which soap or shave cream? Which blade?"
I laugh about it sometimes.:biggrin:
It's enjoyable and adds some spice to my otherwise thankfully quiet life.
But there are times I confess that I think, "What happened to just having one razor/one blade/one shave cream?"
Maybe down the road I'll get to that point and narrow it down to just one combination every day.
But I'm not quite there yet. It's too much fun and too interesting to simply limit myself to one combo. I enjoy trying different combinations.
Lookback,

First welcome to the wet shaving community.

Several months in, already quite a collection. Sounds like you have been bitten by the razor bug.

Continue to do you. It is possible to dwindle down to one razor, one blade, etc. but you really have to want it. It won’t be easy. This is if you want to dwindle.

I am about two years in. I am a vintage SE user. I have done it. The same way you enjoy variety, is the same way I enjoy owning and using one razor type, and only a dwindled down choice of two blade types, on a daily basis.

Sound like to you, daily shaving is not just a chore anymore. It is an experience you look forward to and enjoy.

Continue to enjoy wet shaving. Continue learning and having enjoyable daily shaves.

I like consistency. So 90% of the time I shave with my Henson AL13+. Then on occasion I get the itch to try something different so I pull out my pre-war Gillette Tech. I was recently PIF'd a Weishi 9306 TTO that I like, but I just don't see myself using it that much. I can't stand stuff sitting around my house that I don't use so I'll likely PIF it on at some point. The only thing that I would like to add at this point is the AL13++ to try it out. If I liked it better, I could see myself selling the +. Like I said, I don't like extraneous stuff.

So to answer the question, yes, I pretty much use 1 razor the vast majority of the time.

I like consistency. So 90% of the time I shave with my Henson AL13+. Then on occasion I get the itch to try something different so I pull out my pre-war Gillette Tech. I was recently PIF'd a Weishi 9306 TTO that I like, but I just don't see myself using it that much. I can't stand stuff sitting around my house that I don't use so I'll likely PIF it on at some point. The only thing that I would like to add at this point is the AL13++ to try it out. If I liked it better, I could see myself selling the +. Like I said, I don't like extraneous stuff.

So to answer the question, yes, I pretty much use 1 razor the vast majority of the time.
I can't stand stuff sitting around my house that I don't use

+1

I have a number of razors, but these days I tend to stick mostly with one at a time for an extended period, as a way to truly explore the "soul" of that particular razor, with different blades, different shades of technique and so on. For the first 3 or 4 months of 2023 I mainly stuck with two Fatip OCs, Piccolo and Grande. for the past month or two my main driver has been the Merkur 37 slant. Intermittently I use others ... I just acquired 4 new razors within the last month or two ... but the main driver (37 C these days) is sort of the yard stick. Apart from getting to know certain razors very well that way, I find that this approach also improves my overall skills with shaving. I would not like to change razor every day, but I would never rely on owning just one razor.

I have only have one razor the Merkur 34c been using it since 2019
Are you still using just one razor, the Merkur 34c ? Curious? Are you still pleased with your shaves?

I too am an owner of one razor type.

I am still very pleased with my daily shave.

Grab the razor. Take in the sensory filled moment. Enjoy the moment.

Look forward to same experience tomorrow.

Top Bottom