What's new

Anybody else find that 3 Band Outperforms 2 Band?

My borderline OCD means that like a sense of balance and order. This has manifested itself in my shave den in that I have a 2-band and 3-band example of virtually ever brush I own. Since the make, model and knot dimensions are otherwise identical, I think I’m well placed to comment on the differences between these grades.

I’ll start by saying that there’s some overlap and some extreme examples of each. My general observations are as follows.

Two band is generally springier with slightly stiffer and thicker hairs. The face feel has more backbone and bounce.

Three band is generally softer with finer more flexible hairs. The face feel is fuller and softer. The brush tends to bloom more. It swells and holds more lather in the knot.

I’m a fan both grades but for the classic badger experience I give a slight edge to three band.

At the extremes are Simpson Manchurian 2-band and Thäter Silvertip 3-band. I actually prefer these extreme examples the least.

Below are my Dukes 3’s, Chubby 2’s, Shavemacs, and Plissons. I’ve tried synthetic and boar but, for me, badger’s where it’s at.

E3930D49-0CCA-4942-9848-9E8F87E03BFD.jpeg

Last edited:
Probably my favorite brush is a beastly sized 30 mm X 69 mm. The knot was marketed as Super Silvertip. I only have a couple of other Silvertip brushes that are as soft while still have adequate backbone. When first lathered it had a stink, but not an animal stink, but rather something like visiting a hair salon while someone is getting their hair bleached giving me a clue as to why it was called Super. Although it needs a big mug to get it to lather its best, it is unparalleled in its soft and luxurious face feel. It is easy to lather and isn't at all like a small mop.

Generally, I prefer typical three band Silvertips, even if they are not as nice as my luxurious beast. I might even say that I'm addicted to Silvertip, but I'm gaining in appreciation of a good Two Band Finest or which I have several. Harder soaps seem to prefer a Two Band Finest, but sometimes a Silvertip is very close in lathering quickly and still give a superior face feel.

This past week I shaved with Mitchell's Wool Fat, Tabak, and Arko using Silvertip brushes and had great shaves.

The puzzling brush I have is a Two Band Silvertip. It is mostly like a Three Band Silvertip but lacks the backbone of my other Finest brushes and still isn't quite as soft as my Three Band Silvertips.

I recently made a brush for my wife. She wanted a big brush. I ordered a 30mm X 80mm Finest knot. The pictures were clearly of a Two Band knot. What arrived was a Three Band knot. I'm thinking that a Silvertip was shipped. It matters not as the resulting 30mm X 70mm (or slightly taller) is a marvelous brush that she loves.

What determines the performance of a brush is the ratio between diameter and loft. Strong influence on these 2 parameters have the backbone and how densely packed the knot is. More backbone and high density pack will reduce splay and flow through. A great knot will hit the sweet spot of all factors together. Obviously the properties of the tips will determine the feel on the skin but 3 band of 2 band doesn't really determine if one or the other is great brush. I tend to prefer 2 bands with a good backbone for a nice massage effect. I don't like soft, floppy, "just-painting-the-lather-on" knots.
Just my $0.02 YMMV :thumbup1:

Top Bottom