What's new

Anybody else feel this way about exotic skin cowboy boots?

In searching this forum, I noticed there have been several cowboy boot-related threads in the past few years, but I haven't seen one on this particular topic, so here goes.

Apparently a lot of y'all on here like to wear cowboy boots, as do I. But is there anybody here who doesn't like exotic skin boots like ostrich, lizard, snake, etc.? I've never really cared for them myself -- I find most exotic skins too shiny and flashy for my taste (all my boots -- currently 1 Lucchese Classic black ranch hand, 1 Lucchese 1883 tan/cognac ranch hand, and 1 Lucchese 1883 chocolate mad dog goat) -- have a duller finish and look best with jeans and perhaps khakis. Does anyone else here prefer regular leather boots?

Hahaha . . . thanks for the welcome! But no, I'm afraid I'm not a real cowboy -- no horse or lasso or anything like that! :crying: I just think cowboy boots are cool.

at east he posted in the right place! welcome… i like ostrich at times… not a huge fan of a lot of cowboy boots i see in the area i live in…

Personally, I like exotics. My favorite pair is ostrich. I also have lizard boots. Just wear what you are comfortable with.

Thanks, global_dev and Prince.

OK, I guess I wasn't totally truthful in my original post. Among the boots I said I have is a pair of Lucchese 1883 chocolate mad dog goat boots. Well actually, I don't have them right now. I had been intending to get a pair, however. I say "had been intending to" because now I'm sorely tempted to get a pair of Lucchese 1883 barnwood full quill ostrich boots. The thing is, I just don't know if I REALLY want them (buying them just so I can say I have a pair of exotic skin boots would be silly, IMO . . . so would buying them just because I know others who like ostrich). And with boots, I have to be absolutely sure it's what I really want (I've had several pairs of boots over the years that I ended up giving away or selling on eBay because I simply got tired of them or saw something I realized I liked better, and now that I've discovered Lucchese boots, I can't afford to waste any more money).

Unless you have to get you feet into the stirups in a hurry, or kick a yearling bull into a chute, cowboy boots are a fashion statement IMO. If you like them, wear them, whatever critter they are made from, or whomever makes them. As long as the BS doesn't spill over the tops, you're good.

Last edited:
Unless you have to get you feet into the stirups in a hurry, or kick a yearling bull into a chute, cowboy boots are a fashion statement IMO. If you like them, wear them, whatever critter they are made from, or whomever makes them. As long as the BS doesn't spill over the tops, you're good.

+1

I grew up in the bush and on the back of a horse, most of my boots were made of regular cow hide. If there are a pair of boots you like that are made with something other thn bovine... go for it. Your feet cover them how you like. I do remember seeing a Jeff Foxworthy special where he said he had Manta Ray skin cowboy boots and said he wasn't too sure about them.

$002.jpgI have these Ostrich leg ones and I wore them with suits. I received many compliments from women. They notice or at least comment more than men.

I don't care for exotic cowboy boots. I don't own any cowboy boots at all, but I do like the look of plain ol black or brown cowboy boots.

what I can't figure out is the squared toe boots that are prevalent. I was in a Cavender's a few weeks back, and was lucky to find that maybe 10% were normal, round toed versions. and I found two sets of Ropers that fit. and I bought none. I've got a pair of Ariats that I don't wear too often.

KW Driver, I'm afraid I have to agree with your assessment of square-toed boots. They're all the rage, but for me they're one of those things that looks fine on everybody else, but when I've tried them on I've been like, "Meh."

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I don't pretend to understand "cowboy boot culture" ... in the Pace Picante Sauce commercial, I'm the guy from New York City ... but I always thought that the low-key, understated boots looked better. Just plain ol' leather.

Not that I would begrudge a man his fancy boots ... it's just not what I'd go for personally.

I prefer "snip" toe cowboy boots. I currently have black Gator Tail, Black ostrich leg, brown ostrich leg, and a pair of elephant skin boots all lucchese. I only wear boots, weather wearing a suit or business casual for work. On the weekends, all the boots look great with jeans or khakis

Cowboy boots are part of the original rebels uniform. “I don’t care what you think. I dance the beat of my own drum.” It’s a statement of self expression. The more you wear them. The way they age. Becomes an expression of the man that wears them and his lifestyle. I would never begrudge a fellow rebel on his choice of self expression. I may never pay for anything more exotic then Bullhide (at least until I win the lottery) but that doesn’t mean I can’t admire someone else for their choice.
My two cents worth.
Johnny

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
“I don’t care what you think. I dance the beat of my own drum.” It’s a statement of self expression. The more you wear them. The way they age. Becomes an expression of the man that wears them and his lifestyle.Johnny

Interestingly enough the same can be said of the Vibram Five Fingers.

Top Bottom