What's new

Any WTG Only Shavers ?

Nope. Not a chance. I don't want to look clean shaven, I want to feel it as well. More importantly, I want my missus to feel it. I'd rather suffer some consequences on a bad shave day because of it than her feeling uncomfortable.

I shave every day and my routine is always a three pass WTG & 2xATG.

The key, the most important thing is to have your face well hidrated throughout the day. That means: drink much water. Easy peasy.

At least for me it works, ever since I made a conscious decision to drink more water my shaves have improved dramatically. If I can do this 3 pass routine with a straight razor every day (and I can) without butchering my face it means I must be doing something right.

I wouldn't advocate this routine on everyone, that's beyond obvious, however I would recommend everyone to drink more water.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

My daily driver is a SLOC. I scored a GC .84 off of the Bay a couple of weeks ago and I am impressed with it. It is not as efficient but i feel like I can drag that across my face without thinking about it. The jaws plate is on order and I am hoping for equal or better efficiency in regards to the SLOC.

what razor is WTG shavers using here?
i like old types :)

I've been using a Fatip Gentile for a 2 pass wtg, xtg. I've had a couple of goes at a S-N pass, mostly ATG and it's just not for me. But for my standard 2 pass wtg, xtg shave the Fatip is superb. Smooth and efficient, I can get a DFS+ easily.

I've been using a Fatip Gentile for a 2 pass wtg, xtg. I've had a couple of goes at a S-N pass, mostly ATG and it's just not for me. But for my standard 2 pass wtg, xtg shave the Fatip is superb. Smooth and efficient, I can get a DFS+ easily.
Nice to hear that works, its so nice to get an great shave! Have you tryed Fatip open comb?

Have you tryed Fatip open comb?

Not yet but I will be soon. From what I hear it should be just as smooth but more efficient. I shave every other day so I'd hope to notice the difference on the first pass especially. I expect to like it. I'll be on the look out for Old Types and New SC's and New LC's too.

U

uspiff

Single pass WTG, with a bit of stretching and short strokes, I get a guaranteed DFS.
On most days I don't bother with stretching, just make strange expressions at the mirror instead and am satisfied with CCS.
I use Pearl L-55, Romer-7 CS11, Romer-7 Viceroy and Parker Variant.

Since am a daily shaver, now a days experimenting with single pass ATG with encouraging results.
But that's a different topic.

I am 90% WTG, especially with a fresh blade. There are 2 spots, under my chin and in my neck on one side that have a different growth direction that makes a single WTG difficult, but other than that yes.

WTG seems to create very sharp hair-ends that are annoying because they catch on sweaters, turtlenecks, ties, wool coats, fleece coats and pullovers.

Even if I'm short on time or recently shaved or my skin is roughed up by sun exposure or a previously bad shave or whatever, I at least do an XTG to knock the tips off the hair. I'm assuming that it's the same reason that routing stringy wood with the grain creates stringers particularly around outside corners. I always finish with a climb-cut on stringy wood if I want a clean edge but I never start with a climb cut on stringy wood with outside corners - doing so is begging for trouble.

Then again, this may not be a similar thing because chisels and planes don't suffer from the same outcome. If a chisel or plane is sufficiently sharp, you can get a clean edge with the grain, and in fact, ATG with either is not typically a good idea (though canted XTG works well in some cases, which is sort of the equivalent of going XTG with a slant-head razor.

WTG seems to create very sharp hair-ends that are annoying because they catch on sweaters, turtlenecks, ties, wool coats, fleece coats and pullovers.

....because the hair is not cut close enough....

Good exfoliation (I apply a hot flannel to my stubble) and face lathering does improve WTG 'closeness'

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I can't understand. If you enjoy shaving, why would you want to limit it to just a single WTG pass? I enjoy my SR shaving so much, I wish I could shave more.

I can't understand. If you enjoy shaving, why would you want to limit it to just a single WTG pass? I enjoy my SR shaving so much, I wish I could shave more.
For me, wtg shaving allows shave ewery day and without pimples.

I can also sometimes go xtg, but too often means pimples.
Everyones skin and hair is so different.

I do a mix of WTG and XTG. I don't need a shave closer than that. I have a thick Indian beard and lean towards more efficient razors. I've tried mild razors ATG (Gillette Tech, Slim Adjustable) and I could never get over the feel of the blade pulling on my hair.

Last edited:
Top Bottom