What's new

Any woodworkers out there?

One of my favorite hobbies is woodworking. Any other woodworkers out there? Lets see some pictures of those projects!

Here is a till I made to house some of my hand planes. Yes, i enjoy doing things the old fashioned way. This was built with zero power tools and even has dovetails!

Attachments

• IMG_20201011_162739846.jpg
    IMG_20201011_162739846.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20201004_152405906.jpg
    IMG_20201004_152405906.jpg
    656.5 KB · Views: 20
Very nice.

I appreciate hand tools and enjoy using them...for fun. Unfortunately most of the work I do is in a hurry and therefore I am a power tool guy :( And a KREG jig kinda guy LOL Those things are handy.

Anyway, back to the old school stuff, there was a show on PBS where the guy built stuff all with hand tools and old fashioned construction. Alot of stuff I had not seen. And they were pretty inginuitive back then as well. Nothing quite as satisfying as seeing a smooth thin curly chip come floating up out of a jack plane haha

Great work there. I was never that good with wood but I did train as an engineer. Mind best hand tool I have is my NOS yankee screw driver. It came in the original box, with papers and a selection of very, very useful bits. Currently on the search for a new general purpose hand saw 22" and 7 or 8 tpi. Wood handle hammer I don't quiet trust these new fibre glass handled ones.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've cut a few dovetails in my day. My neighbor has these crazy expensive japanese saws. They even made me look good! But I never really did it often enough to get good.

You got skillz there @Jbird45 !

Great work there. I was never that good with wood but I did train as an engineer. Mind best hand tool I have is my NOS yankee screw driver. It came in the original box, with papers and a selection of very, very useful bits. Currently on the search for a new general purpose hand saw 22" and 7 or 8 tpi. Wood handle hammer I don't quiet trust these new fibre glass handled ones.
Is your yankee the smaller one? like a normal screw driver? Or the bigger one, like IDK, twice the lenght of a screwdriver (when retracted obviously). Those things were the best thing since sliced bread before screw guns came along.

Very nice.

I appreciate hand tools and enjoy using them...for fun. Unfortunately most of the work I do is in a hurry and therefore I am a power tool guy :( And a KREG jig kinda guy LOL Those things are handy.

Anyway, back to the old school stuff, there was a show on PBS where the guy built stuff all with hand tools and old fashioned construction. Alot of stuff I had not seen. And they were pretty inginuitive back then as well. Nothing quite as satisfying as seeing a smooth thin curly chip come floating up out of a jack plane haha

Thanks! Im not completely Amish, i do have a table saw, miter saw, power router, band saw, scroll saw, even a kreg jig!

But I prefer to work with hand tools when i can. I like the quiet, and not having sawdust spray in your face. And not putting your hands within inches of a carbide tipped saw blade lol

And i think you are referring to Roy Underhill!!

Is your yankee the smaller one? like a normal screw driver? Or the bigger one, like IDK, twice the lenght of a screwdriver (when retracted obviously). Those things were the best thing since sliced bread before screw guns came along.
Naturally its the big one. I have two. One came with an old house but the ratchet has worn a little and it slips and my NOS stock. I paid £29 for it which was possibly way too much but its worth its weight in saving time.

Thanks! Im not completely Amish, i do have a table saw, miter saw, power router, band saw, scroll saw, even a kreg jig!

But I prefer to work with hand tools when i can. I like the quiet, and not having sawdust spray in your face. And not putting your hands within inches of a carbide tipped saw blade lol

And i think you are referring to Roy Underhill!!
I believe that is him.

Quiet makes for a relaxing experience for sure. Have ya seen the auto stop table saws? No need to worry about cutting a finger LOL Man what man will invent to keep from having to pay attention.

This Saw Will Automatically Stop Itself Before It Hits Your Fingers — Here's How - YouTube

Me too, with a jig and router LOL

I was never a fan of jigs. I see guys on youtube using fancy dovetail jigs but i prefer to cut mine freehand.

The thing with the jigs is I see people cut right to the line thinking they are safe with a jig, and then wind up with a sloppy joint.

I prefer to cut close to the line with a backsaw, and then use a fret saw to cut out the majority of the waste, then use a chisel to pare down to the line. This usually gets me a tight joint, although i have had my share of mistakes too.

Naturally its the big one. I have two. One came with an old house but the ratchet has worn a little and it slips and my NOS stock. I paid £29 for it which was possibly way too much but its worth its weight in saving time.
I believe my dad still has 2 of the big one and 1 of the small. I have a dewalt impact driver :( LOL Certainly things the yankee will do that the dewalt will not.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Roy Underhill! I think I began watching him in the '70's.... Non stop talk, incredibly gifted, ALWAYS has either an open wound or a bloody bandage or a sliver! And a cool hat! Love that dude.

I was never a fan of jigs. I see guys on youtube using fancy dovetail jigs but i prefer to cut mine freehand.

The thing with the jigs is I see people cut right to the line thinking they are safe with a jig, and then wind up with a sloppy joint.

I prefer to cut close to the line with a backsaw, and then use a fret saw to cut out the majority of the waste, then use a chisel to pare down to the line. This usually gets me a tight joint, although i have had my share of mistakes too.
I could not tell you the last time I used a dovetail joint. Strong and asthetic....just not FAST. We live in the age where a micro wave is too slow HAHA

I believe that is him.

Quiet makes for a relaxing experience for sure. Have ya seen the auto stop table saws? No need to worry about cutting a finger LOL Man what man will invent to keep from having to pay attention.

This Saw Will Automatically Stop Itself Before It Hits Your Fingers — Here's How - YouTube

I have seen those, but they are about 3-4 times the price if my saw. I have actually spent quite a bit if time with hand saws now, and for one or two cuts i am actually faster with a hand saw than setting up a machine.

I do enjoy my table saw if i have a lot if ripping to do though!

I have seen those, but they are about 3-4 times the price if my saw. I have actually spent quite a bit if time with hand saws now, and for one or two cuts i am actually faster with a hand saw than setting up a machine.

I do enjoy my table saw if i have a lot if ripping to do though!
I remember my dad teaching me to sharpen a crosscut saw (as well as other things) and how to put set in the teeth. Makes me feel bad that I have taught my kids none of these things....maybe my oldest boy, but anyway. It is a dying art. Good on you and the others who still practice it regularly for keeping it alive!

I could not tell you the last time I used a dovetail joint. Strong and asthetic....just not FAST. We live in the age where a micro wave is too slow HAHA

There is nothing fast about it, no, but when i got to the 4th joint on my cabinet it took about 20 minutes, vs an hour for the first joint. I was warming up haha

If you go on Facebook or Instagram everyone today is making epoxy river tables or farmhouse tables with kreg jigs. While there is nothing wrong with these, i just question how long these things will last. I like going to antique stores and looking at pieces that have survived 150 years because of the joinery used. It amazes me, and maybe someday my grandkids will hang a hand plane in Grandpa's till.

Or maybe they will sell my planes on ebay....

I remember my dad teaching me to sharpen a crosscut saw (as well as other things) and how to put set in the teeth. Makes me feel bad that I have taught my kids none of these things....maybe my oldest boy, but anyway. It is a dying art. Good on you and the others who still practice it regularly for keeping it alive!

I have a cast iron saw vise from the 1910's and a disston saw set of the same vintage.

Saw sharpening is a lot art, but i have a saw thats still functional from the 1890's. I also have a ryobi drill from 2005 that is not lol

When I was in woodworking back in school they taught us a furniture design called... amish? quaker? puritan? somthing like that. Anyway, mostly plain. SHAKER! I think it was shaker. Anyway, mostly plain, bulky /strong, high off the floor to sweep under. I really liked it. Like you, I appreciate things that are built to last and have some heart/craftsmanship built into them. Like I said, sadly most of what I build is in a rush.

I have a cast iron saw vise from the 1910's and a disston saw set of the same vintage.

Saw sharpening is a lot art, but i have a saw thats still functional from the 1890's. I also have a ryobi drill from 2005 that is not lol
Now that is funny.

The saw set we have around here, along with alot of the hand tools I (and/or dad) have were my grandpas. Just put my wife's name in a piece of firewood the other day with his wood chisels. Good times. My grandpa, now he was the woodworker. My shop teacher said there are wood workers and wood butchers. I was considered on the upper end of the spectrum in school. I am afraid to see where I mught fall in these days :(

My planes are in a drawer,
Here is a link to a thread where I show some things. Top of page 25 and down.

I'll add some dovetail pictures in a while.

Top Bottom