What's new

Any way to save old TOBS cream?

Hey all!!
I've recently come back to the forum after a long hiatus.
The question I have is back when I bought the TOBS creams I have I liked them so much I bought spare tubs.
The tubs I use are just as old but are fine (probably because I closed them tightly).
The spares I bought I haven't touched since I bout them.
I checked on them yesterday and they seemed to have condensed and become for the consistency of a croap.
Can they be rehydrated back to how they were?
I did read an old thread about putting water in, and if that does work, do I mash up the cream first? It's still has the factory swirl in it just only looks half funny now.
They aren't too pricey but if I can save them I'd like to.
In that thread someone also said just load on them like it's a croap, but I don't know if it's too concentrated or anything.

Funny thing. My AOS and Hirsch luxury creams are perfectly fine after 5 years. So I assume it's because I didn't tighten the kids when I got them like I did for their brothers that I use and the AOS and Hirsch tubs have better seals.

Thanks all!!

I say just leave them as is and start using them. Maybe put a few tablespoons of water in and leave it sealed for a week or two, but I don't think it's necessary. Some creams (like castle forbes for example) are just a little bit dryer. Every time you load them with a wet brush, you're going to add a little water anyway.

Trying to mix the water in is just going to be a giant mess. That I would avoid.

Let the cream dry out in the sun -then use them as you would shaving soap. I often do this with new pucks of TOBS creams...converting them into shaving sticks which I prefer

I say just leave them as is and start using them. Maybe put a few tablespoons of water in and leave it sealed for a week or two, but I don't think it's necessary. Some creams (like castle forbes for example) are just a little bit dryer. Every time you load them with a wet brush, you're going to add a little water anyway.

Trying to mix the water in is just going to be a giant mess. That I would avoid.

I tried this a few days ago with maybe 1 fl oz of water added to a full tub. You’re absolutely right. My shaving cream now has about the consistency of maple syrup. Probably usable (we’ll see) but, as you say, kind of a mess. I won’t make that mistake again.

Awesome guy thanks.
Was worried in its state it would be too concentrated.
But I'll definitely do that.
Now that I've learned shaving shop isn't available I don't want to risk messing with it!!

I've done this many times. Get a bottle of distilled water and something like a toothpick. Add a few drops of water and SLOWLY stir. Add more water as needed by the drop. The fact that you're stirring slowly with a small, thin toothpick will not cause it to lather and it will reconstitute. Just be patient.

I've done this many times. Get a bottle of distilled water and something like a toothpick. Add a few drops of water and SLOWLY stir. Add more water as needed by the drop. The fact that you're stirring slowly with a small, thin toothpick will not cause it to lather and it will reconstitute. Just be patient.
Well I may try this on one scent first. Maybe the lemon lime one since that's readily available.
But i won't experiment on the shaving shop tubs that aren't available anymore.
Thank you for the tip!!

Well I may try this on one scent first. Maybe the lemon lime one since that's readily available.
But i won't experiment on the shaving shop tubs that aren't available anymore.
Thank you for the tip!!
Shaving Shop was/is one of my favorite scents ever! Unfortunately they discontinued it and more unfortunately still the tubes that I was able to find don't smell exactly the same as the tubs. But anyways the keys are add water a tiny bit at a time and stir it in slowly. Slowly.

Shaving Shop was/is one of my favorite scents ever! Unfortunately they discontinued it and more unfortunately still the tubes that I was able to find don't smell exactly the same as the tubs. But anyways the keys are add water a tiny bit at a time and stir it in slowly. Slowly.
Ok some are croap consistency so I'll have to break it up a bit first with something then use the toothpick.
Going to try just lightly loading it like a croap too first

Top Bottom