What's new

Any way to get out ingrowns without scarring?

There are a couple of places on my chin where I have a small "pitting" scar from trying to get out ingrowns with a needle. I try to just grab the hair with the tip of the needle. I try to put the needle sideways parallel with my skin and put the tip of the needle under the whisker and lift it out. I try not to grab or rip skin while getting the ingrown whisker, but despite me being careful, I still managed to get a bit of a scar. Is there any better way to get ingrown hairs out without damaging my skin?

I also shave against the grain when completing my last pass, I know this contributes to ingrowns, but I want a pretty decent shave and just going WTG won't do it for me. So I shave WTG, XTG and ATG. How many people shave against the grain as their final pass and don't get ingrowns. Also, do some people pull their skin tight before shaving over the area?

IHow many people shave against the grain as their final pass and don't get ingrowns. Also, do some people pull their skin tight before shaving over the area?

I always shave ATG on my second pass and I never have an ingrown. I don't stretch the skin.

I've had one ingrown in my life, and it came from an electric. I think some people are just prone to ingrowns based on their skin and hair growth patterns, and some aren't.

I have had a couple, it was years ago, and I feel your pain amigo :001_smile Didn't seem to have anything to do with close shaves, I wasn't paying any attention to that then.

Apply some tea tree oil overnight and by the morning, the area should be smaller w/ the ingrown sticking out far enough to be dealt with. If that doesn't work, then go to 2 applications-1 am, 1 pm(for a total of three).

Make sure you dip any needle in alcohol before digging-that way you aren't introducing bacteria into the open wound.

marty

My neck is prone to ingrowns if I go ATG. WTG and XTG only for me down there! If I do get one though, I use a very similar method to get them out with no scarring. My mom, being a nurse, has access to hypodermic needles tips. Those, having very very sharp tips, can get right under the hair and pop it out with minimal damage to the skin. As another poster said, I always swap both the needle and skin with alcohol before & after. So, assuming that you don't have spare syringes lying about your bathroom, try to find the sharpest, pointiest instrument possible!

Top Bottom