What's new

Any Water Temp Restrictions on Synthetic Brushes?

The Noob again good folks,

I just ordered my first synthetic brush.

I like to soak my Boar Bristle Brush in screaming hot water (coffee cup heated in microwave) before I use it to load up on soap and apply to my face.

Is there any problem doing that with synthetic bristles?

Any water that is too hot for your skin, is too hot for your shave brush. I have followed that rule since day one and its worked for me...

My friend used as hot water as possible from his tap and let his synthetic soak in it. The bristles ended up being permanently slanted as a result.

I agree with the advice that you shouldn't use a water temperature higher than you can tolerate on your own skin. This advice works for both natural and synthetic fibers. There's really no reason to use scalding hot temperatures. Those high temperatures can damage your brush (the fibers, the glue, the handle) and they can also kill lather.

I'm not sure which type of polymer is used when making synthetics, but many polymers (http://www.mnrubber.com/Design_Guide/5-3.html) have a melting point below the boiling point of water. Fibers made of these types of polymers can get deformed when subjected to high temperatures.

With a synthetic brush, you don't have to soak them because the synthetic fibers do not absorb water like a natural hair brush.

From what I've read, and this is what I practice -- I just run my synthetic brush under warm tap water for 5 to 10 seconds, shake it out some, and go straight to lathering.

With a synthetic brush, you don't have to soak them because the synthetic fibers do not absorb water like a natural hair brush.

From what I've read, and this is what I practice -- I just run my synthetic brush under warm tap water for 5 to 10 seconds, shake it out some, and go straight to lathering.

Exactly. Don't waste water or time soaking the synthetic brushes. Too hot and you will destroy your natural hair brushes. If you really enjoy a hot shave, use a scuttle or a brush scuttle.

Top Bottom