What's new

any tips for wiry, difficult to cut whiskers on upper lip?

I would recommend you to use a scuttle bowl or my own technique described below, if you don't have one :

1- get a stainless steel mug or in usual ceramic

2- take a bowl which will be larger than the mug

3- start making you lather with in the mug

4- pour water at 100°C into the bowl.

5- then, put your mug into the bowl & keep making your lather. The mug will be heated by the boiling water of the bowl.

6- when it's finished, let the brush upside down in the mug, so that it will be heated even more.

--> the result : thanks to that, your lather & your brush will be very warm. The hairs of your upper lips will be softened & prepared in the best way possible.

You should get a closer & much easier / confortable shave than before.🤓 (even with this horrible razor which is the DE89/R89, but that is only my opinion :biggrin:)

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@Mike Williams

I've quoted myself to make a quick correction about the temperature : 100°C is bit too much, in my opinon. 🧐

--> a water heated between 80°C - 90°C is way enough to do that. I've tested it this morning & i've had an awesome shave with my RFB #44 ! 😎
I am not sure how hot my water was, but I just use what comes out of the Faucet and... at how many degrees to people usually feel pain?! :)

Material of the bowl might also be interesting. Something that keeps warmth. As I love drinking espresso, basically a gigantic, thick-walled cermic bowl but as I am against ceramics in the bathroom (and tend to destroy breakable things), I still prefer stainless steel bowls.

Just want to add, I am not a fan of the DE89/R89 either, you are not alone with that. It was my first razor and even after several attempts and more experience, I still don't love it. Going for the R41 next funnily worked out, even if it is supposedly a beast. It teaches good shaving habits for sure in the hard knocks way.

There is a problem with warm water: For most people it guarantees irritation. But yeah, it will soften the whiskers for sure. Hmm... well, one can always try.

When I started shaving, I followed advice and put a hot, warm towel over my face. I don't do that anymore...^^

Don't you scald yourself with water that hot? In case you get some on your skin?

Normally you won't, for several reasons :

1- you don't have to fill up entirely the bowl with water. A small quantity will do. The water must not overflow from the bowl when you put the mug into it.

I've taken a photo so you will see the whole thing clearer.

IMG-3920.jpg

2- with a water heated between 80°-90°c, (let's say 85°c max) your lather & your brush are only very warm but not hot. And i let the brush into the mug several minutes.
But if you're still worried at these temperatures, you can try it with a water at 70°c - 80°c, as well.

But you have to keep in mind that the water t°c will drop back quickly, since the bowl is not closed like a scuttle bowl.

3- In my case, i set a small electric kettle in my bathroom so i don't have to bring the bowl from the kitchen to the bathroom.

Last time, i tried this with 100°c water directly without letting the temperature drops back and the brush was hot instead of warm.
So it was too much.

As long as everything (brush & lather) is warm and not hot, your skin will not be burnt. (that's also the reason that i always use warm water as a pre-shave and not hot water, even in winter)

I am not sure how hot my water was, but I just use what comes out of the Faucet and... at how many degrees to people usually feel pain?! :)

Material of the bowl might also be interesting. Something that keeps warmth. As I love drinking espresso, basically a gigantic, thick-walled cermic bowl but as I am against ceramics in the bathroom (and tend to destroy breakable things), I still prefer stainless steel bowls.

In any case, and if we suppose that you use water at 85°c, the mug won't be heated at the same level because the t°c starts to drop back as soon as you pour it in the bowl & it also makes some time to heat the mug.

Ceramic is more fragil, i agree with you. That's why i also chose a stainless mug and it is much more convenient when you travel, you can take it everywhere you want without any problem.

But it is a matter of tastes and also availabilty : not everyone has a stainless mug in his kitchen, but it is much common to find a mug in ceramic in it...🤓

A scuttle bowl would be much less convenient for travelling of course, but the warmness will last longer since it is a closed bowl.

Just want to add, I am not a fan of the DE89/R89 either, you are not alone with that. It was my first razor and even after several attempts and more experience, I still don't love it. Going for the R41 next funnily worked out, even if it is supposedly a beast. It teaches good shaving habits for sure in the hard knocks way.

Of course, i know that many people really appreciate it. But in my case, it was probably the worst experience i had since i started traditional shaving in 2009.

So i was not surprised when i saw that @Mike Williams had some difficulties to shave his mustache area with it.

There is a problem with warm water: For most people it guarantees irritation. But yeah, it will soften the whiskers for sure. Hmm... well, one can always try.

When I started shaving, I followed advice and put a hot, warm towel over my face. I don't do that anymore...^^

I have a sensitive skin and i can assure you that i've never had any red skin / irritation after the shave. As i said to @Mysterious Mose , your skin won't be damaged as long as everything is warm but not hot.

However, i tried as well the towel as pre-shave several years ago and i had to stop it quickly because i got some problems like you had. Technically, i consider that the towel was hot since it was steaming & let on my skin a bad feeling of burning...🧐

Top Bottom