What's new

Any tips for those that need their glasses while shaving?

Yep, I'm blind as a bat....maybe as blind as a bat with galucoma....Without my glasses, all I see is a strange tan/black blur. Kind of hard to shave, when you can't even see the razor!

So, do you guys have any advice for razor maneuvering tips for fellow eyeglass wearers?

Thanks!

Did you try squinting ;)

I shave at the sink with my glasses on and didn't really find it a problem.

I just took them off for the rinsing but found they were out of the way for the rest of the proccess.

Do you have very short/no sideburns?

What about wearing glasses whilst shaving was giving you trouble?

My sideburns are trimmed mid-ear. Thing is that is just below eye level on my head (right where the eye socket starts).

The problem is I can't get my hand into position around the tops of my cheeks without getting all kinds of interference from the outer edges of my glasses. So it's either make the pass blind, or come up with another way to deal with it.

Squinting really doesn't work for me due to how bad my eyesight really is (lets put it this way, I have ultrathin lenses, and they are thicker than most people's normal lenses)...problem is to get my hand into position to shave my upper cheeks, I end up moving my glasses to the point where I am trying to look through the edge of the lens...and we all know how well that works :p

I too have terrible eyesight and always used to shave in the shower--no glasses and a shower mirror that magnified 6X.

I now shave at the sink and wear my glasses--I've learned to work around them, and just remove them for the final rinse. It works fine if I'm careful lathering up.

I'm in the same boat eyesight wise. I always joke that if I go to the bathroom without mine I'm aiming by ear. I go off the 20/400 scale which means that what someone with perfect vision can see at 400 feet I still can't see at 20 feet. Because of this I too wear the thinnest lenses I can and kept the thickness down to 1/4 or 5/16 of an inch, at the outer edge, by getting small frames. My beard also grows high up on my cheeks so what I do is pull my glasses straight out; if I hold them real still I can still see and have enough room to shave all the way up to my lower eyelid if it were needed.

Edit: Just noticed this is in the straight razor section. Not sure my advice would be any good for a straight.

I shave with a straight, wear glasses, and trim my sideburns mid-ear as well.

The only time the glasses are an issue is shaving the upper cheeks, where I have to slide the blade underneath the glasses as I'm shaving sideways across the cheek.

For the sideburns, I grab my ear with the hand on that side and pull back, and holding the razor in the opposite hand I lay it flat against the ear in the tip-up position and shave towards my nose. Seems to do the trick for me.

mrob said:
I too have terrible eyesight and always used to shave in the shower--no glasses and a shower mirror that magnified 6X.

I now shave at the sink and wear my glasses--I've learned to work around them, and just remove them for the final rinse. It works fine if I'm careful lathering up.

same here.

my glasses are rather small, however, so I don't need to be too careful while lathering. its just annoying to get droplets of water on the lens when rinsing off....so i just remove them.

Top Bottom