What's new

Any tips for shaving (defining) the neck line of a beard?

I use a Wacker with a combination of shaving oil and lather. I use the oil so that I can see the line I want to follow. After that, I lather up to get the rest of it below the neck line.

I get a decent shave, but my hand positions are awkward. I often keep the scales straight out, holding like a kamisori. That's because the scales interfere with my chin. Any tips on technique would be appreciated.

For cheek lines, I don't change my grip. For the neck line, I hold the scales straight out like you do, but with no pressure on them. All pressure is on the tang, but that's very little pressure and is a three-finger (thumb, trigger finger, middle finger) grip.

The lather only goes on the area I'm trimming, not on the whole neck. I've found that tilting my head up (but still looking in the mirror) while stretching the skin is easier than just stretching. I know this is all stuff you already know, but I don't know any other tips. The only way I know how to do it is just keeping the fingers and scales out of the way.

Cheek lines are fairly easy/self explanatory. Neck line....ya. Hit and miss. Just last night had a bit of an oops and got too much beard. Luckily, my beard is long enough you cannot see the neck line without lifting the beard. So I guess my tip is grow a longer beard.

I'm thinking for the fancy artwork I may use my Wahl clipper. Then after that I will follow down with the razor. Sacrilegious?
I would check out an Andis T OutLiner.
It’s what barbers use for very fine work. It’s easy to cut a line with a mirror in one hand reflecting against another mirror and the clipper in the other. No interchangeable blades, just one fine one permanently attached. I’ve used one for years at the advice of my barber. When you’re finished with the Andis it will be easier for you to finish up with the straight.

It’s what barbers use for very fine work. It’s easy to cut a line with a mirror in one hand reflecting against another mirror and the clipper in the other. No interchangeable blades, just one fine one permanently attached. I’ve used one for years at the advice of my barber. When you’re finished with the Andis it will be easier for you to finish up with the straight.
Good idea. One of my Wahls has a T-blade.

I just cut up to the bottom of my beard, but I hold it with the scales back, like one typically sees in pictures. I will also go down from the bottom of my beard to keep a straight line.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yes, and I use a washcloth to grip the skin for stretching, as it is quite slippery otherwise. I guess practice makes perfect.

I don't use alum on my face, but it works perfectly for slippery fingers. Run your wet fingers over a piece of alum and dry them off, gripping slick skin is much easier afterwards.

Thanks, I have an alum bloc. I agree with not stretching for the outlining. But once i have the outline, I stretch the skin as I complete the neck area.

As has been said already use your electric trimmer for the line and guide first.

Tip, start in the middle of your neck (above Adam’s apple) and make the lines outward from there. Far easier to keep lines straight and symmetrical than starting from one side.

As has been said already use your electric trimmer for the line and guide first.

Tip, start in the middle of your neck (above Adam’s apple) and make the lines outward from there. Far easier to keep lines straight and symmetrical than starting from one side.
Thank you for that!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I used one professionally for years. That particular clipper is also great for trimming ear hairs!!!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

Yep, think of it like nailing up plywood! Start in the middle and work outward.

Top Bottom