What's new

Any Tips For Head Shaving With Shavette/SR/Kamisori etc

hey so i used shavette to shave most my head

first time i used the dovo shavette, i really loved it and enjoyed it but it does take more time then a safety razor

anyways wanted to ask if theres any tips for head shaving with a shavette/sr/kamisori you guys could share?

A little over 22 years ago I started shaving my head. I shave between 3 and 4 days a week.

Several years ago I bought a straight to shave my head. I gave up after several attempts.

I used to go to a barber (I tried several different folks) occasionally to get a head shave (just out of decadence). Without fail whether they used a straight or a shavette, I would have to have to re-shave that same day.

I stopped all that and just returned to DE. I have found that a Game Changer with a .84 and an Astra SP give me a exceptional shave with only the occasional nick.

I have been shaving (face) pretty regularly with a Feather AC SR Japanese Razor (kamisori) and really like it. I have been thinking about trying it on my head just for s***s and giggles but really don't have much hope for it being as efficient as on my face.

My advice would be to try the feather with a Pro Guard blade to start. It doesn't have to be a kamisori. Feather makes it in a regular straight style as well. There is a lot less money invested in the Feather than a quality straight if you don't like the method.

If I was buying a Feather just for my head, I think I would go with the SS. It is supposed to be a milder shave.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
My nephew has been using straights on his head for several months now. I asked him once if his technique was different for his head than his face. He didn't really know except that he got fewer nicks on his head early on.

He did mention that for the back of the head where he can't see, he holds the razor with two hands to set the angle. Off hand on the nose of the razor. Also he finds he has to strop between passes on his head but not his face.

A little over 22 years ago I started shaving my head. I shave between 3 and 4 days a week.

Several years ago I bought a straight to shave my head. I gave up after several attempts.

I used to go to a barber (I tried several different folks) occasionally to get a head shave (just out of decadence). Without fail whether they used a straight or a shavette, I would have to have to re-shave that same day.

I stopped all that and just returned to DE. I have found that a Game Changer with a .84 and an Astra SP give me a exceptional shave with only the occasional nick.

I have been shaving (face) pretty regularly with a Feather AC SR Japanese Razor (kamisori) and really like it. I have been thinking about trying it on my head just for s***s and giggles but really don't have much hope for it being as efficient as on my face.

My advice would be to try the feather with a Pro Guard blade to start. It doesn't have to be a kamisori. Feather makes it in a regular straight style as well. There is a lot less money invested in the Feather than a quality straight if you don't like the method.

If I was buying a Feather just for my head, I think I would go with the SS. It is supposed to be a milder shave.

Just my 2 cents.
ive got those feather knock offs which take standard se blades

also seen that other shavette which takes a whole de blade bit like the razorine forgot the name

My nephew has been using straights on his head for several months now. I asked him once if his technique was different for his head than his face. He didn't really know except that he got fewer nicks on his head early on.

He did mention that for the back of the head where he can't see, he holds the razor with two hands to set the angle. Off hand on the nose of the razor. Also he finds he has to strop between passes on his head but not his face.
interesting about stroping on the head and not for the face, wonder why?

How close a head shave do you need? Most of the folks I know use an electric clipper for their head.
i use de, se, injectors, ac etc but fancy having a change and got a few shavettes which i got for a bargain

like to mix it up sometimes

ive got those feather knock offs which take standard se blades

also seen that other shavette which takes a whole de blade bit like the razorine forgot the name
I wouldn't use a knock off. The shape of the tip on their AC's is designed pretty specifically. I question if a knock off takes that into account.

Reactions: saj
I wouldn't use a knock off. The shape of the tip on their AC's is designed pretty specifically. I question if a knock off takes that into account.
yea might need to think about the ac version in the future thanks

I use my Feather AC SS for around the ears. Tried it on top, and it was a bloody mess. I use a Leaf for the rest of the head, but I only shave once per week. Otherwise I would probably use a DE. The Leaf is clunky but efficient with a one week growth.

I cannot see anything special about my Feather SR tip vs. SS clone tip. I would use use both with ease.

I spent months last year doing half my head with my straight for fun - using two hands to set the angle in the blind space was something I took found myself doing. The stropping makes sense as well, the edge definitely dulled faster on the blades I used on my head, needing to go back to stones pretty quickly.

Couple other notes:

Heel rotation around the ear is the only way to clean there, so you'll need to be certain your heel is well sharp - I know heels are often given less attention as such but the toe just can't avoid the ear well so you use heel a fair bit.

When using two mirrors for the back, it causes an image reversal that confuses the hell out of your senses about how to move left/right in the mirror. The way I found that helped strangely was switching which hand I used on which side from typical - I guess my brain knew how to use the opposite hand for what appeared reversed from how it felt. In all my years I never bothered with ambidextrous shaving, but this was the only way to orient my hands correctly when I used two mirrors. Honestly I think blind without two mirrors worked just as well because of this.

I found I had to be mindful of angle as I went around curved spaces, just as when you cross the jawline you have to roll the angle to align with the skin below it being at a different angle. If I wasn't attentive I would end up at too high and angle sometimes, so just something to pay attention to.

I found I really needed to do quite a bit of passes at varying angles because of the curvature of the head just to not leave chunks behind. This isn't new though, I use trimmers normally and it's the same there, but I feel like a straight razor has even less contact with curved spaces because low pressure vs trimmers which I can press into my scalp

Top Bottom