What's new

Any thoughts on razor ID and whether it is worth restoring

i recently acquired a bulk load of de razors with one straight in the mix. Interested to know whether anyone knows of the brand, if it is any good and / or whether the straight is worth restoring.

Attachments

• 7E219740-30A8-450C-BBF5-6AB5CBAA2C59.png
    7E219740-30A8-450C-BBF5-6AB5CBAA2C59.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
It's a Cadman, "Bengall" mark on the tang - a fairly sought after English razor. Good steel. I think every razor is worth restoring, "No razor left behind" "If you hone it they will come" etc.

So yeah. If you don't want to restore it, send it to me for safe disposal... :D

From the box:
• Peter Altenbach & Söhne, Schwanenwerk. Solingen in 1925, 1928 and 1932. Brand names: '4S' (date unknown), 'Ariston' (1928*), 'Aso' (c. 1924/5), 'Canorust' (c. 1924/5), 'Century' (1928*), 'Cutwel' (1928*), 'Efeu' (1928*), 'Finedge' (1928*), 'Fortunato' (1930†), 'Fulmine', 'Heavy Weight Professional' (post-1945), 'Lifetime' (1928*), 'Northlight', 'Omar' (1928*), 'Pas Pas' (1921), 'Pausos' (c. 1924/5), 'Pompadour', 'Rustpruf' (c. 1924/5), 'Securitas' (1939‡), 'Spark', 'SS', 'Success', 'Taileffer' (1928*). [Note: some of these were originally registered by Otto Stiehl (*), Heinrich Altenbach (†), and Gebr. Korten & Scherf (‡).]

So not sure if it goes with the razor, based upon above Post.

Just a cut and paste from an internet search. I actually thought it was going to be an importer, because the makers "brand" was anglicized. While looking impressive, basically tells him the box is 90 years old :)

As long as the blade hasnt got pieces missing, is cracked etc....i feel personally its worth restoring then.

Just a cut and paste from an internet search. I actually thought it was going to be an importer, because the makers "brand" was anglicized. While looking impressive, basically tells him the box is 90 years old :)
:) Import info can often work out as / more interesting. This razor was made by "Gong" (the text says "Gong Steel Mouthed Blade of Superior Sharpness", so a Chinese friend tells me), and the box, with it's importer / dealer name ("M. Yung") and patent office number yielded an interesting bit of history. Made in Germany for sale in America to American-Chinese immigrants, mostly in New York from 1911-21 (if I remember rightly)...
chinese razor 1 (1).jpg

I’d spend a little time on her with some wet/dry sandpaper and finish her off with some Mothers Mag Polish. Being a Bengall, if the edge is in decent condition, I bet she’ll shave well!
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks - really useful info
So basically
Box and razor don’t match
Box is 90+ years old
Razor is Bengal, which are decent quality and if the blade doesn’t have chips it is worthwhile restoring or selling to someone who wants it.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
i recently acquired a bulk load of de razors with one straight in the mix. Interested to know whether anyone knows of the brand, if it is any good and / or whether the straight is worth restoring.
I recently lucked into a NOS Bengall and it is a superb razor. Definitely get that puppy honed up and shave with it. Don't sweat the tarnish. Just do what Lueke says.

Thanks for the encouraging words, in fairness I got the bulk lot as it included a nice de fatboy. This was just an extra.
I have used various de’s and se’s, but never used a straight before. You have got me tempted to get this one properly honed and give it a go.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Thanks for the encouraging words, in fairness I got the bulk lot as it included a nice de fatboy. This was just an extra.
I have used various de’s and se’s, but never used a straight before. You have got me tempted to get this one properly honed and give it a go.
Send it to me and I’ll hone it for you if you like - no cost. Anything to get a new guy hooked! Just PM me.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
You are welcome. I’m retired and do this gratis for new guys occasionally. PM me if you want a razor honed.

Steve

Top Bottom