What's new

Any thoughts on Black Ship Grooming Safety Razor, Cannon "The 32 Pounder"

Ad Astra

The Instigator
As an amateur artillery enthusiast, loving this! But.

If only the razor head looked like the gunport on a sailing ship ...

AA

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
Response from Black Ship Grooming about heads being made of solid brass:
"Yes they are as well as the handles."

R

romsitsa

Interesting, thanks for sharing. The base on their photos needs some love (almost like a bare casting), but it's brass, so it can be sanded and polished up nicely without too much effort.
Could you please post a photo of the rod when you received it? I'm curious how they did it.

Adam

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
Interesting, thanks for sharing. The base on their photos needs some love (almost like a bare casting), but it's brass, so it can be sanded and polished up nicely without too much effort.
Could you please post a photo of the rod when you received it? I'm curious how they did it.

Adam
Not sure I follow. Could you please be more specific with regard to "base" and "rod"

R

romsitsa

My bad. Base is base plate, it looks like fresh from the mold in their photo. Rod is the threaded rod in the center of the cap. Wonder if the cap is a one piece cast or the rod is a separater piece.

Adam

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
My bad. Base is base plate, it looks like fresh from the mold in their photo. Rod is the threaded rod in the center of the cap. Wonder if the cap is a one piece cast or the rod is a separater piece.

Adam
Got it. What photos are you going from. Even magnified, the ones if have don't show that kind of detail. Could you post a shot of the base plate you described?

An all brass 89 clone with a cool handle. Price looks good. I like the handle but it is too long for me. If they make a minion handle I'm buying one.

R

romsitsa

Got it. What photos are you going from. Even magnified, the ones if have don't show that kind of detail. Could you post a shot of the base plate you described?

This is from the blacksheep site. The scallops and inner edges show no finish (sand or polish) while the short sides of the plate are smooth.

Adam

Untitled-1.jpg

R

romsitsa

Dremel stones/head are an overkill, imho. I'd go from 600 to 2000 grit dry/wet paper. and elbow grease.

Adam

Now that I've realized that the head is brass as well, it makes me wonder if I would like to wait until they are in stock again and pick one up.

But what I keep coming back to is that it's still just a DE89 head , which is good, but not one of my favorites.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
Now that I've realized that the head is brass as well, it makes me wonder if I would like to wait until they are in stock again and pick one up.

But what I keep coming back to is that it's still just a DE89 head , which is good, but not one of my favorites.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
West Coast Shaving still has Brass and Chrome/Nickel in stock.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
First shave with Black Ship Grooming "The 32 Pounder"

DSCF0017 - Edited.jpg
First shave with my new Black Ship Grooming "The 32 Pounder" plain brass DE razor was a success. Would I buy it again? No. not after the time it took too pollish out the rough edges on the base plate left by the casting process. Wet/dry #600 grit sandpaper did the trick.
The resulting shave was smooth and efficient -- BBS in two passes, WTG and ATG. The handle is heavier than I’m used to, but the razor was well balanced and easy to maneuver.

DSCF0020 - Edited.jpg

R

romsitsa

Imho it’s a way better deal than the original or zamak clones. It’s all brass. Hope someone will make a Progress clone in brass.
Nice job on smoothing out the head, looks awesome.

Adam

Any other thoughts on this? Seems more like a novelty as I never hear about it and i would have bought one last year during Black Friday but every color was sold out at West Coast Shaving. This year the brass is sold out but I was only interested in the "plain brass" finish, not the black or nickel, chrome finishes. Even on the Black Sails Grooming site they don't even have an option for plain brass, maybe they discontinued this finish for some reason?

Top Bottom