What's new

Any theories on why Polsilver SIs get smoother with use?

I had my second shave on a Polsilver SI this evening, and sure enough, it was smoother than the first.

If this week goes anything like the previous two, this blade will keep getting smoother with every shave.

Does anyone have any theories on why this happens?

Does this happen with any other blades?

My theory is that Polsilvers are awesome. Unbelievably awesome. And right now you can buy them for half of what they cost the last few years.

Did I mention that Polsilvers are awesome?

Most of the blades I've tried got smoother with use, sometimes 10 to fifteen shaves, then they stay smooth for a while before they start losing efficiency. Use it for a while and see how it goes.

Most of the blades I've tried got smoother with use, sometimes 10 to fifteen shaves, then they stay smooth for a while before they start losing efficiency. Use it for a while and see how it goes.

I am just purely amazed that you can get 10-15 shaves on one blade! Kudos! Well done. 4 shaves is where I max out on any blade I try.

I replace the blade every Sunday, so 7 is the most I ever get. But my Polsilvers never get to the point where there's any tugging or discomfort. They just keep getting smoother and sweeter every day until Sunday, when I get a new one.

Shaving karma. Some guys here "cork" their blades before the first use to smooth them out. They slice through the edge of a cork 2-3 times on each blade side to smooth it out (the blade, not the cork).

I had my second shave on a Polsilver SI this evening, and sure enough, it was smoother than the first.

If this week goes anything like the previous two, this blade will keep getting smoother with every shave.

Does anyone have any theories on why this happens?

Does this happen with any other blades?

It happens because the blade starting to be duller and duller. In other words, if you cannot feel comfort during the first shave it means that blade is too sharp for your skin, beard, prep, technique, or something else.

I replace the blade every Sunday, so 7 is the most I ever get. But my Polsilvers never get to the point where there's any tugging or discomfort. They just keep getting smoother and sweeter every day until Sunday, when I get a new one.

Leave one in and see how smooth and sweet it can get. :thumbup1:

I am just purely amazed that you can get 10-15 shaves on one blade! Kudos! Well done. 4 shaves is where I max out on any blade I try.

I never get up to the big numbers like some guys do, I just don't feel like spending a lot of time on prep. The best I've done is 57 shaves on a Wilkinson Sword German blade. :001_smile

Ad Astra

The Instigator
You're just corking it with your face, first shave.

The burr knocked off, it settles down. Kai does this.

AA

It happens because the blade starting to be duller and duller. In other words, if you cannot feel comfort during the first shave it means that blade is too sharp for your skin, beard, prep, technique, or something else.

I don't feel any discomfort during any of the shaves I get from a Polsilver.

If what you say is true, and I'm not disputing it, then these blades must be pretty sharp to begin with, because I don't ever experience any symptoms of a dull blade...

So if that's true, then these blades seem even more impressive to me. Blades that sharp that are so comfortable, I'm just glad I found them! I owe a huge debt of gratitude to all of the fellows here who have recommended them.

As with most things here, YMMV. Polsilver's are one of my favorites but for me they are short lived, possibly because of their grind and/or coating. Not sure. There was a good article by Mantic a while back that also mentioned how bentonite shaving products affect blades. Maybe I'm using products that contain bentonite and this is skewing my Polsilver results.

I don't feel any discomfort during any of the shaves I get from a Polsilver.

If what you say is true, and I'm not disputing it, then these blades must be pretty sharp to begin with, because I don't ever experience any symptoms of a dull blade...

So if that's true, then these blades seem even more impressive to me. Blades that sharp that are so comfortable, I'm just glad I found them! I owe a huge debt of gratitude to all of the fellows here who have recommended them.

What you're experiencing is more likely just your own improvement in technique over time vs anything special about the blade. You'll find that as you get better at DE shaving you'll be able to do "more with less", which leads to a much broader range of acceptable blades and improved blade life. I welcome you to come over and take a look at the Excalibur thread over in the clubs and brotherhoods area. I think you'll find some of your answers there. [MENTION=30982]bosseb[/MENTION] 's comments in particular you might find interesting.

Last edited:
What you're experiencing is more likely just your own improvement in technique over time vs anything special about the blade. You'll find that as you get better at DE shaving you'll be able to do "more with less", which leads to a much broader range of acceptable blades and improved blade life. I welcome you to come over and take a look at the Excalibur thread over in the clubs and brotherhoods area. I think you'll find some of your answers there. @bosseb 's comments in particular you might find interesting.

Thanks for the invite. I'll check that out.

I believe that I am getting better technique wise with every shave. And I certainly owe a lot of gratitude to the fellows here in this forum for all their help.

But I seriously doubt that's the reason why Polsilvers seem to get smoother with every shave. I don't think that my technique changed all that much from Sunday evening to Monday evening, or from Monday evening to Tuesday evening.

Nor does it make sense that the whole experience repeats itself the next time I replace the blade. My technique changes could be said to be on a macro scale, while the differences I'm observing are definitely on a micro, or at least much smaller scale.

Thanks for the invite. I'll check that out.

I believe that I am getting better technique wise with every shave. And I certainly owe a lot of gratitude to the fellows here in this forum for all their help.

But I seriously doubt that's the reason why Polsilvers seem to get smoother with every shave. I don't think that my technique changed all that much from Sunday evening to Monday evening, or from Monday evening to Tuesday evening.

Nor does it make sense that the whole experience repeats itself the next time I replace the blade. My technique changes could be said to be on a macro scale, while the differences I'm observing are definitely on a micro, or at least much smaller scale.

Indeed - I didn't mean that the "getting smoother" part was because of some cyclical technique fluctuation. Smoothing out is normal for just about any blade (especially very sharp ones) - you get some stropping effect with the first shave, and subsequent shaves are more tame. I was focused more on your comment about the blade not exhibiting any signs of being dull. This is the part that I think you'll find true with most blades, and more so as you gain more experience. The better you get, the less sharp the blade needs to be to shave well (within some personal limit of course). The outcome of this is that most blades will be tamed a bit after the first shave, but great shaves will continue for quite a long time as the blade plateaus.

Top Bottom