What's new

Any 'Tactical Pen' Fans?

Any fans of the pens made for self-defense? I own a few cheapies (Schrade, Smith & Wesson, Uzi, Cold Steel Sharkie) but I put rollerball inserts in them.
The Parker stainless and Zebras will work just fine, but they weren't designed to be "tactical" pens.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have a Schrade FP.

1583537394073.png

It looks like the pen has been redesigned to have a butt end that is less aggressively pointy, and more knurl-y.

1583537505211.png

In any event ... the pen seems sturdy enough as a self defence tool if one were so inclined to use it as such. However, I do not find myself reaching for this pen often or almost at all. I guess I like my pens to be pens.

All metal Parker Jotters, Zebra 701s, Pentel Energel etc. will function reasonably well in a low frequency tactical role.
They are particularly useful if you have to go thru airport type security. I am a huge Parker Jotter fan. Solid writer, nice enough to wear with a jacket and tie, nice enough to keep track of but no tears if lost.

Many more dedicated "tactical" pens will not sustain security screening such that you will be turned around, it will be taken or worse.

I have the Schrade FP above and my example is a surprisingly smooth writer.

Having said that, I like my "primary/tactical" pen to be a one hand operation. Ergo if I was gong to carry a "tactical" one, I would give this Schrade a very hard look. YMMV Greatly.

Amazon.com : Schrade SCPEN9BK 5in Aluminum Refillable Push Button Tactical Pen for Outdoor Survival, Protection and EDC : Sports & Outdoors - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TUY09MG/?coliid=IMV35YO2UC8XH&colid=2PIOFF7N4ETOJ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Many more dedicated "tactical" pens will not sustain security screening such that you will be turned around, it will be taken or worse.

Yes, "tactical pens" tend to scream "tactical" ... no flying under the radar here.

Top Bottom