What's new

Any success with Ted Pella injector blades?

Has anyone had any success with these? I have not been able to get an irritation free shave from these. I threw away the entire last pack after a few blades caused tiny nicks all over. Can anyone suggest a better technique if you've been having a good go with these?

Has anyone had any success with these? I have not been able to get an irritation free shave from these. I threw away the entire last pack after a few blades caused tiny nicks all over. Can anyone suggest a better technique if you've been having a good go with these?

It might depend a bit on your razor, and if you're new to injectors, they can take some getting used to. My Ted Pella injector experience wasn't so hot, but there's a number of things I could have done wrong. For instance, I know the instructions say to hold the head flat against your face, but the blade hardly cut anything if I did that. So now I'm back to finding angles by feel, and that would take some getting used to.

Out of curiosity, what type of injector are you using? I can get a good shave out of my J-type, but my E-type leaves my face scraped up no matter what I do. I have not used the Ted Pella blades however.

I was in your place not to long ago. I couldn't get anything close to a good shave from my injectors and was about ready to sell all of them. I decided to give them another shot after someone referenced the movie "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House" and how Cary Grant uses an injector in a couple of scenes. I did a little research on proper injector technique and found that, like soapbox said, it's better keep the head very close to flat against the face. I also found that quick, short strokes work better than longer ones, well for me anyway. Now I love all my injectors, E and J types.
Now back to the original question, Ted Pella blades are the only ones I have used in my injectors so I can't compare them to other blades, but I can say that technique had a lot to do with my results. The first couple of shaves with a new blade are usually a bit rough, but nothing to worry about. After that it's smoooooth sailing.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I was about to give up on my injectors, when an absolutely brilliant mod was kind enough to send me some Pellas to try. It changed my entire opinion of the injector shaving process. I love them.

Out of curiosity, what type of injector are you using? I can get a good shave out of my J-type, but my E-type leaves my face scraped up no matter what I do. I have not used the Ted Pella blades however.

The older injectors are quite aggressive. The new models are more forgiving. You need to remember not to apply pressure with these razors.

the first couple shaves with the Pella injector blades can be close and nick-prone, so just be careful, but after that the blades settle in just fine and are good for a total of 8-10 shaves in my experience. I found injector shaving more intuitive than DE shaving as it more closely resembles the multicartridge experience we are used to. Now that I'm used to the sharper Pella injector blades it's hard for me to go back to the Personna store brand blades.

M

modern man

I was about to give up on my injectors, when an absolutely brilliant mod was kind enough to send me some Pellas to try. It changed my entire opinion of the injector shaving process. I love them.

Odd, I felt the same way until you sent me a pack of Schick Blades.

Yes, I actually ended up throwing out what remained in the pack, and I'll tell you why. After having shaved with the Injector (I'm using an older type injector that Art here sent me along with a couple of his blades which were better than Pellas) I experienced a terrible burning sensation all over my face, which got me into a mood where I just didn't want to bother, but it's always that "I'll give it one more try" that kept me going. So I proceeded to change the blade in the injector but what do you know, the flimsy Ted Pella injector magazine comes apart. The bottom part made of plastic simply slipped off, and to top it off, the blades inside the magazine lost their alignment. Already in a bad mood, I tried to pop the remaining stack of blades back in place but the magazine injector which pushes the blade forward into the razor simply kept sliding OVER the top most blade rather than pushing it forward into the injector. The cheap design of this magazine coupled with a burning face led to me becoming more furious at which point I noticed 2, 1 centimeter long cuts on both of my thumbs, from the stacked blades as they slipped out of the magazine. Lucky for me, they were all stacked together so the damage was not so bad however I was bleeding. This is when I blew my fuse, and my wife has never seen me more furious. A bad shave to start the day is bad enough, let alone dealing with a cheaply made magazine, which by the way doesn't always fit the injector smoothly, you have to twist around a little for it to align with the injector. I simply threw the whole thing out, had about 10 blades remaining.

You threw them away? :cryin:

Send them to me next time. I'll pay for shipping.

The injector I'm using was sent to me by Art, much thanks to him, and I do really love the injector. I am going to try to shave with it OUTSIDE of the shower and do what you guys recommend and get back to you on this.

As for the Ted Pella brand, I don't think I will be buying anymore. The magazine is simply too cheaply and flimsily made for it to be properly aligned with the razor, and the part the pushes the blade into the razor does not always work. The spring that pushes the blade up is also horrible in comparison to what Art sent me.

If anyone has any advice on how to take the Pella blades OUT of that bloody magazine, and put them safely into the Schick injector magazine I still have, please let me know.

Again thanks for the advice guys!

Have you tried the Schick Injector blades (edit, I don't remember what I sent you but I see I sent you some kind of magazine...I assume the Schicks)? You really could have done something with the Ted Pellas, hell, I could have taken them an used them in my Feather AC.

Glad you are enjoying the razor though. I still need to send our a PIF that I promised last month......

The older injectors are quite aggressive. The new models are more forgiving. You need to remember not to apply pressure with these razors.

I agree with both of these posts.

While I prefer the NOS Schick blades, the Pellas are great, the first shave can be a bit rough, but then the blades smooth out and shave wonderfully.

As Austin said, the older (as in the ones with the Bakelite handles) are pretty aggressive - I think the newer models are better shavers.

Ah, so it could be the injector rather than the blades...

Art I have the short bakelite dark blue handle, forget what model it is.

Yes, the Injector and Pella combo is VERY aggressive.

I shaved with it again today and noticed little bloody spots where the hair were pulled from. I am really trying to get a hang of it but if this does not work out, maybe I need another type of injector to try. But I'm losing my love for the injector shaving. I just opened a new pack, and have 7 packs of Pellas left! I'm on the third pack right now and I can say that I've never had consistent shaves with the Pellas. I can get 1 good DFS but BBS is a story of suffering burns.

I've not tried Ted Pella's blades (which are made by ASR), but I have tried ASR's Personna injector blades. I, too, have experienced problems with the blade injector itself. So, you are not alone. Your razor, as you describe it, is a G4 or model 66 (It originally sold for 66¢.) The G series used the old style head like the E series. I have a G1 and, IMHO, it is quite aggressive. The I through L series has a different head which shaves smoother for me.

-Clarke

Also want to note that my injector has a fixed head, meaning there is nothing to turn sideways so the head will come apart for easy cleaning. Yes it is very aggressive coupled with the Pella blade and though I have had ok shaves with it in the past, majority of the shaves ruin my day. So if I am planning on being in a bad mood that day, I don't shave with the Injector. I will have to try to get into the mindset of practicing but its terribly difficult. I bought 2 injectors on Ebay, and I'll say, NEVER again. Both injectors were broken, dirty, and used. The pictures fooled me pretty good. I am hoping someone here can let me borrow one of theirs for a while to try out so I can actually compare the two.

I've not tried Ted Pella's blades (which are made by ASR), but I have tried ASR's Personna injector blades. I, too, have experienced problems with the blade injector itself. So, you are not alone. Your razor, as you describe it, is a G4 or model 66 (It originally sold for 66¢.) The G series used the old style head like the E series. I have a G1 and, IMHO, it is quite aggressive. The I through L series has a different head which shaves smoother for me.

-Clarke

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
My old bakelite injectors look very cool, but the tear me to ribbons. They're some of the most aggressive razors I've experienced.

After about a couple of weeks of injector use, I am finally getting less irritation. It takes some getting used to so I won't be rotating frequently. Instead I will use up an entire mag of Pellas, and stick to the injector. The shave has gotten better. Only 2 nicks today and minor irritation. This bakelite injector sure has a picky angle.

It seems that a Pella blade can last an entire week. Starts out very sharp, so I have to continuously change the angle. Number of nicks today, 1. Minor irritation. I use an alcohol based splash, (old spice, aqua velva) to gauge the level of irritation with BBS shaves. If it is not BBS it does not look as if I have shaved at all.

Top Bottom