What's new

Any special break-in procedure for a new morta pipe?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
With the impending arrival of the 2019 BL LE, and my recent order of a Rattray morta, is there anything special that should be done with morta, as opposed to breaking in a new briar pipe?

Also, this: from PipesMagazine.com a response about Morta, from NOLA Cajun (Tony Ducote)

"1. Morta should always be smoked slow...depending on the thickness of the wall, a Morta pipe has the potential to become very hot, similar to Meerschaum
2. Yes, you can smoke back to back bowls with no rest..just swab the inside of the bowl with a fluffy pipe cleaner....you do NOT want a cake to build up in a Morta pipe
3. Yes it is possible to burnout a Morta pipe...remember Morta is Semi-petrified wood...the could be hidden soft spots or imbedded fungus in the wall that could burn out...I have around 25 Morta pipes, and even some of the best constructed Morta bowl can have hidden flaws
4. There is no break in required for a Morta pipe...definitely do not put honey in it...,it is semi-petrified wood....you don't need to treat the bowl..."

At that time, five years ago, NOLA Cajun said all he smoked were morta pipes.

I've got a handful of mortas, and I've never done anything special to break them in. Just smoke 'em. The advice about minimizing cake buildup is solid - while a small layer won't hurt it, the relatively linear grain pattern does make it susceptible to cracking if you allow a big cake to form (it builds up pressure in the bowl while smoking), so just ream it out lightly when it gets to about the thickness of a dime.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I've got a handful of mortas, and I've never done anything special to break them in. Just smoke 'em. The advice about minimizing cake buildup is solid - while a small layer won't hurt it, the relatively linear grain pattern does make it susceptible to cracking if you allow a big cake to form (it builds up pressure in the bowl while smoking), so just ream it out lightly when it gets to about the thickness of a dime.
That is me- insert tobacco and smoke. Good advice about cake. I tend to not let much build up in any of my pipes.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

Ditto. Just load, light, and smoke. I never let any significant cake build up.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I’m especially careful to go slow when breaking in a morta. They can overheat quickly! Also, I think fresh morta tastes pretty bad for the first smoke or two. Not everyone thinks so, but keep this in mind if you “don’t like it” right away. It’ll get much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
No problems with the initial few smokes with my morta from Rattrays. I was a little surprised that the bowl was carbonized from the manufacturer. I would have thought that would not be needed with morta. So I'm not sure how that affects things, so I'll just roll with it. There were no specific instructions pertaining to morta, just very general instructions on "how to smoke a pipe".

Top Bottom