What's new

Any soaps you won't buy again?

B&M Diamond: Disgusting turf smell. Couldn't stand it.
TOBS Sandalwood: Too powdery and feminine
Stirling Pineapple: Too artificial, much like a sweet candy smell
Valobra Stick: Not much scent there
DG Sweet Lemon: I like Icarus base but I don't like the Lemon Cake scent
Proraso Green: I've moved on to better performing artisan soaps

Probably won't buy Tabac again. Performance was great, but my wife isn't crazy about the scent. Likely won't buy VDH again. Worked fine, but there is so much better available.

Today I threw out...
Wilkinson Sword
Erasmic
Boots own brand.
Each of the containers were around half full and I have no guilt. All were very inexpensive. I've had them years.
Needed to make space for a couple of new arrivals. Life's too short for mediocre shaving soaps.
The Erasmic had an awful scent. The Boots had no smell at all, and no redeeming features and the Wilkinson Sword was the best one, but I got bored of it. I have decided not to bother with bargain buys anymore.

Henri et Victoria. Bought it when I initially started using a DE and finally got around to using it a couple of months ago. It's the only soap I've used that I have even thought about not finishing and throwing out. Too bad because I love the scent (la poire francaise).

I have way too many soaps and creams, but most work pretty well and I would buy many again if the scent and post shave were right. However, there is one soap that really puzzled me and I wish I would not have purchased. Petal Pusher Fancies Neroli. Looking at the ingredients it should have been pretty decent. I couldn't get this soap to perform at all and the scent was atrocious. I guess the company is PAA now so I don't know if the formula is the same, but this bad experience has kept me away from PAA soaps it was that bad. Maybe just a bad batch and I hate to make negative comments but this soap was bad to the bone.

Tbh, once I learned to properly lather, I started liking every soap. A couple I threw out before are now my top used ones, you wont believe it, proraso green and palmolive!

Poslano z mojega SM-A520F z uporabo Tapatalk

Tbh, once I learned to properly lather, I started liking every soap. A couple I threw out before are now my top used ones, you wont believe it, proraso green and palmolive!

Poslano z mojega SM-A520F z uporabo Tapatalk

And I agree, I've done it too. Both Proraso and Palmolive is very good performers.
Palmolive could very well be the best performer for the buck, almost free and a classic scent. Really like that one!
And as you pointed out, it's all about learning to lather.

Williams mug. Read every article and watched every YouTube video and still could never could get what I would consider great lather. Passable lather maybe, but never great. Scent was also not in my wheelhouse but I knew that going in.

The only soaps that are on my "No" list are: Arko, B&M Leviathan, Cella, Colgate, Stirling Nag Champa, and Wrisley. I've also got 12 on my "Probably No" list and 55 on my "Maybe" list. Given that I've got 100+ soaps that are rated higher, it's highly unlikely that I'll buy any of those either.

Does anything out of an aerosol can count? Will never buy anything that says, "Shave butter", "gel", or "brushless" on it again. That count as well?

I’m going to get hate mail here, haha, but I can’t stand Nuavia Blu.

It makes my face burn and it was a terrible soap for me. Mine was a gooey mess in the nice ceramic bowl and it seemed like spreading a creamy latte on my face.

Maybe I had a bad batch of soap, but for the money I was very disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^^^^^^^^ Nuavia Blu, one my favourite soaps. Great performance and incredible scent and I have many, many soaps/creams.

Sadly though I love the scents, I won't be buying any more Razorrock non-tallow soaps. Even with the additional of some glycerin, I just can't get a comfortable shave with them. I will continue to buy the aftershaves though because I am not living without Zi Pep and Tuscan Oud in my life!

What didn't worked for you with HeV? Was the performance bad for you? I'm just curious because this is first time I see some serious negative review on them and personally find their performance as on of the best for me.
I have the vegan version and didn’t find it has much cushion and glide as other ones. I always seem to get nicks when using this soap that I haven’t gotten using other ones.

Stirling Gatlinburg - Great Lather but IMO the scent smells like burning refuse :thumbdown YMMV though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom