What's new

Any soaps you won't buy again?

Legion

Staff member
I’d be happy to post you a stick or two, if you’re happy to cover the costs. I pass a shop which sells it almost daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thank you sir, I will keep that in mind. I have a fair bit of soap I am trying to work through right now, but I appreciate the offer. :001_smile

Chiseled Face Gearhead. I thought it would be kind of cool, in that it smells like rubber (its supposed to smell like motor oil, new tires and leather) but I grew tired of it quickly.

XPEC Scented; truly disgusting scent
Valoubra unscented; unpleasant scent
CF Lavender shaving cream; didn’t live up to the hype for me

XPEC Scented; truly disgusting scent
Valoubra unscented; unpleasant scent
CF Lavender shaving cream; didn’t live up to the hype for me

I totally agree on XPEC. Horrible and STRONG. One of the few soaps that I just couldn't bring myself to put on my face no matter how awesome it might perform (I still don't know for sure). I had to wash my brush thoroughly to get the smell out.

By name i can come up with one, Arko, in general terms, anything strongly scented, they may be okay for a momentary whiff but that's enough, longer then that no thanks.

For some odd reason i haven't figured out yet, I can however live with Tabac.

dave

Rockwell Barbershop. Used it once and got rid of it. Didn't like the scent. And didn't like the waxy lather it created.

By name i can come up with one, Arko, in general terms, anything strongly scented, they may be okay for a momentary whiff but that's enough, longer then that no thanks.

For some odd reason i haven't figured out yet, I can however live with Tabac.

dave
Eh, I used to hate Arko as well. The nice part is that it's so darn cheap, I bought a box and stashed it away, planning to use sticks for PIFs. After a while sitting in the cabinet, it really starts to loose scent to where it's merely faintly lemon like soap.

I have a new one to add...
Joshua Tree Soap Works...
This stuff is just world class BAD from container design to performance...
Just ROTTEN !!!

I think the only soaps I listed were ones that irritated my skin in a previous post. Everything I have tried so far performed fine for a shave. Like many, I have many preferences and think some soaps are slicker or better than others but I never had a really bad performance experience with a soap save one.

I received High Desert Soap Co soap as a gift two years ago.

It was garbage. Wouldn’t lather (meant for a brush) no protection, very quickly dissipated — really irritated my skin when I used it because the lather was not there. I tried for a a couple weeks and had to give my skin a break to heal. I didn’t buy it so doesn’t quite fit the post but would never seek it out. Can’t remember if it was cold or hot processed soap.

Any one else try this stuff?

Stirling SDM (burned a lot, but fine after washing off)
Stirling Gatlinburg (yuck smell, but imo)
WCS Lime or Citrus and Basil (burned a bit)
Musgo Real (burns a bit, but I like the smell, so bowl lather and shave quickly...but, won't repurchase)
Proraso White soap (worst performer I've tried)

CK Atomic Age Bay Rum - great scent and aftershave, soap burned my skin

Razorock soaps-not bad but I prefer Stirling in that price range

Declaration Grooming- nice product but too soft, never could load it without a mess

I most likely will not replace any soaps in my collection. By the time I finish what I currently have, 10 years will have passed. By then there will surely be a new top-tier king or two or more to try.

Boots stick. Hate the scent and the lather is difficult to work up.

Erasmic stick. Smells nice but very hard to lather. No protection either.

Wilkinson bowl. Good lather but not too protective.

MWF. Irritating to me and tricky to lather.

Dr Dittmar. Nice scent, good lather but too expensive.

Rick

I absolutely love Rockwell Barbershop scent. But was quite disappointed with it's performance. The lather dries pretty quickly and slickness aren't good enough. But I just got it recently. Had only 1 shave so far. Probably should "play" with water/soap ratio a bit more to improve it. But in my experience with over 50 different soaps if it didn't worked well for the first time, it won't work for me no matter what I try. Their balm with same scent performs great for me though.

Perhaps i am the only guy who does not like the performance of Saponificio Varesino soaps. I tried two kinds, felce and cosmo. Great lather without protection. They didn't work for me.
Derby stick: It is a hard soap for a stick form. The scent is not good for me.
MWF: Its protection is not enough for me.
Edwin Jagger's soaps: There are many better options.
Vegan Artisan soaps.

A friend of mine piffed me a G.F.T. Coconut soap.
i couldn't get a decent lather from the damn thing . I used all my brushes , and all kinds of techniques no joy.
- thank God i didn't pay for it.

Top Bottom