What's new

Any soaps you won't buy again?

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Despite it‘s frequent praise, I’m unlikely to buy a replacement puck of MWF. My experience with this soap has been inconsistent. For me it has only been an average performer. It hasn’t achieved all the requirements of a top soap for me.

Mitchell’s Wool Fat. I’ve been using it off and on for three months and have only gotten a half way decent lather once. The shave results are very good, even with thin lather. I just have to keep applying it during each pass or it dries out.
Im going to amend this statement.

I’ve finally started to get the hang of Mitchell’s Wool Fat and while I’m not getting a great fluffy lather I am getting a decent lather that easily lasts through the shave. Slickness is beyond comparison with anything else I’ve tried. Once I shave the lather off and rinse off my face there is still plenty of slickness for a cleanup round without relathering.

Whatim saying is I haven’t found a soap I don’t like.

Mitchell's Wool Fat. Too much work having to reaply 2-3 times per pass since I am having that dissipating lather. It still works wonders but I am looking for a relaxing moment while shaving instead of going through more work.
BTW, it got much better when it got soaked almost to a croap. Tried several bottled waters with different hardness and pH and it wasn't the solution. My guess is that there is no consistency to the delivered product.

Upon dropping tallow as their base some years back, Geo F. Trumper, Penhaligon's, Taylor of Old Bond Street and Truefitt and Hill triple-milled soaps have all been terrible performers which I would not purchase again. A shame, as many of their scents are favourites of mine.

Another vote for Mitchell's Wool Fat which breaks my heart because as a Brit I wanted to love that soap so much. I tried everything to get a reasonably thick lather to no avail - might have something to do with my water being harder than Chinese algebra. Even with a thin foamy lather the performance was decent, insane slickness and postshave second to none but not long after the shave my skin went red and started burning like all heck. I tried some aftershave for a laugh and it turned out to not be funny - the mother of all burns! It's odd because all the ingredients in MWF I can handle in other soaps. Perhaps it was irritation from the lather being so thin. I may try again one day as I seem to be a sucker for punishment!

Williams, Mystic Waters, Mama Bear (if these two are even still available anymore), MWF, and just about any glycerine based soap. There are just too many extra-good soaps to use these days; no need to mess about with the "meh" stuff.

Another vote for Mitchell's Wool Fat which breaks my heart because as a Brit I wanted to love that soap so much. I tried everything to get a reasonably thick lather to no avail - might have something to do with my water being harder than Chinese algebra. Even with a thin foamy lather the performance was decent, insane slickness and postshave second to none but not long after the shave my skin went red and started burning like all heck. I tried some aftershave for a laugh and it turned out to not be funny - the mother of all burns! It's odd because all the ingredients in MWF I can handle in other soaps. Perhaps it was irritation from the lather being so thin. I may try again one day as I seem to be a sucker for punishment!

If it was only about water hardness this would be solved by buying bottled water with very little mineral contend. This water hardness problem is a myth. They may have some problems keeping it consistent throughout the production process.

Im going to amend this statement.

I’ve finally started to get the hang of Mitchell’s Wool Fat and while I’m not getting a great fluffy lather I am getting a decent lather that easily lasts through the shave. Slickness is beyond comparison with anything else I’ve tried. Once I shave the lather off and rinse off my face there is still plenty of slickness for a cleanup round without relathering.

Whatim saying is I haven’t found a soap I don’t like.
Try Badger Balm shave soap.

If it was only about water hardness this would be solved by buying bottled water with very little mineral contend. This water hardness problem is a myth. They may have some problems keeping it consistent throughout the production process.
I've hard water but had no problems with MWF. I found the only problem was the boring scent and kept saying to myself...if only they'd make a rose or lavender scent, it would be perfect!

AoS Sandalwood

I bought it last winter, and it's been an abusive relationship. I'll revisit it once in a while and fail at being productive with it. All it did was bite me.

Anything bay rum. Also anything dirt oriented (Southern Witchcrafts I'm looking at you). Also, M&M Ouroborous was gross, the after shave more than the soap. Then there's barbershop soaps that hardly have a scent, like WSP, but apparently there's plenty of people who like that.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
It’s unlikely I will purchase MWF again as it’s unlikely I will ever use it up. I seem to consider it and then move on to my preferred performers. Its like self flagellation......no thanks.

Top Bottom