What's new

Any soaps you won't buy again?

If I could even remember all the soaps I tried and hated and tossed or sold and wouldn't buy again, it would be a long list. MdC would be at the top that list because of price.

Barrister & Mann Leviathan. Just got a tub of this today, and will be selling or tossing it straight away. No idea how it performs, just really, REALLY hate the scent. Y'know that pic of a gnarly old lady with a cigarette that people use to joke about the scent of Tabac? Leviathan is the male version of that. Picture a creepy old guy who still dresses like it's the 70's. Pudgey, becombovered, big pushbroom mustache, shirt open to the solar plexus to expose sasquatch levels of grey chest hair and a gold medallion. The kind of guy who wears a gigantic pinky ring, and talks with his index finger a lot. Who wears a **** ton of cologne in an unsuccessful attempt to mask the bitter stench of decades of stale cigar smoke baked into his skin and clothes. That's what this smells like. I'm not usually very picky about scents, but holy cow, does this stuff rub me the wrong way.
I've never smelled Leviathan, but your description was so vivid, I fell that I know what it smells like. I'm still chuckling. Thanks for the smile.

Last edited:
I've never smelled Leviathan, but your description was so vivid, I fell that I know what it smells like. I'm still chuckling. Thanks for the smile.
Yeah that cracked me up as well. Did you notice he joined in 2016 and his last post was in 2019. Haha here 4 years and only had 75 post in that time. Wish he would post more that had me rolling. :D

Stirling. They just don’t do it for me. Great people and love to support small businesses, but their soap just hasn’t Served me well. Bought multiple scents and they all underwhelmed me in terms of performance. I threw out the last of them recently. Kept a few of their aftershave splashes but the soaps I don’t miss at all.

I was on the Grooming Department bandwagon along with many others. I had many tubs of many scents & many bases. I got tired of the inconsistent performance, inconsistent soupiness of some, different bases & on many I wonder what really changed. And we kept chasing after it not knowing when it would be released, what new base was it going to be. It didn't matter, just take my money & give me a poor performing soap. I had to convince myself that this was worth it, when it really isn't. I've discovered there is better soap & it isn't always sold out. I've jumped off the GD Bandwagon & am a better man for it.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I was on the Grooming Department bandwagon along with many others. I had many tubs of many scents & many bases. I got tired of the inconsistent performance, inconsistent soupiness of some, different bases & on many I wonder what really changed. And we kept chasing after it not knowing when it would be released, what new base was it going to be. It didn't matter, just take my money & give me a poor performing soap. I had to convince myself that this was worth it, when it really isn't. I've discovered there is better soap & it isn't always sold out. I've jumped off the GD Bandwagon & am a better man for it.
I stopped riding that train, too.

Mitchell’s Wool Fat. I’ve been using it off and on for three months and have only gotten a half way decent lather once. The shave results are very good, even with thin lather. I just have to keep applying it during each pass or it dries out.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Quite a few, too many to list. Not because they're bad...most of them are quite good...but because they're not over the top like the 10 in my collection that are.

I won't buy Maggard's house brand again. The one I had burned my face up and I've heard other people have had similar experiences, even with different scents. I suppose that puts TTFFC off my list too, as she makes soaps for Maggard. It's a shame, as their scents sound nice.

I definitely won't buy "shave soap" from a soap maker at a farmer's market again! The one time I tried it smelled nice but was a thin, watery mess. I swear I loaded that soap for 10 minutes and still couldn't get a good lather.

MWF and TOBS Peppermint. I love all other products of MWF, but this one.... Lathers great, nice post shave feel. I really don't like the smell, if it smelled like their bath soap that would be a different story. Just really sweet perfume for my taste, now I just have to use it up :laugh: TOBS is a great performer, and I really like the smell, BUT Proraso green just has a way better mint smell to me, and it's drastically cheaper!

Stirling Eskimo Tuxedo. It’s all menthol and way too much of it.

Noble Otter Two Kings. Too floral. Way too much rose and not enough oud.

Wilkinson Sword. Even at $3, it is a pass. Crappy lather and a boring scent.

Haslinger
MWF
C&S
B&M
PDP
MdC
Zingari Man

On the fence with DR Harris. The scents are amazing but there are better performers.

I have a small selection of staple soaps. Now and then I will try another. It’s a pretty hard club to get into. All of the above worked well but didn’t quite make the grade for one reason or another.

My top soaps are SV, Nuavia, WK, Mikes, Tabac. Currently trialing Zingari Man and A&E. I’m getting to the end of my soap search now. It’s all about what works for you.

Last edited:
...Wilkinson Sword. Even at $3, it is a pass. Crappy lather and a boring scent.
Just wanted to point out the Wilkinson Sword blue bowl is completely different from the Wilkinson Sword Stick. The WS stick is a very good soap, reminiscent of Tabac, but with lanolin. The scent is just OK, like Coast bath soap.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I doubt I will buy Mitchell’s Wool Fat again. I am able to get an ok lather, but not the same creamy consistency I get from some others. It does provide a nice moisturizing face feel that I like, but so do many of my soaps and creams. It requires a little more work and effort, that’s ok, but the final payoff is lacking somewhat. To me, it’s only ok. I’m consolidating my soap/ cream from 20 to 10 or under of my faves. I want to reach for an excellent soap every time, right now I have too many in my rotation that are just....ok. I reached for MWF today because I want to use it up, thats just wrong. It’s not so bad that I’ll bin it, just won’t replace it.

Top Bottom