What's new

Any soaps you won't buy again?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This is going in a direction I never would have dreamed. Its not my intention to be off putting or obnoxious in an facet. If my engagement with the community is off-putting to people, I apologize.
You are fine. Better than fine.

Some folks just ain't happy unless they are miserable, as my dear ole Dad used to say.

And my first two sentences weren't trying to compare you to Fine Accoutrements. I've never (to the best of my knowledge) tried anything from you or Fine, lol. Just wanted to be clear. And careful.

I've never had a bad experience with any of the artisans that I've spoken with. Granted it hasn't been very many, but they have all been responsive and courteous.

With that note, here are a few I won't try again.

Proraso
MWF
Shaving Yeti
Anything almond - can't handle the scent

Most of the products I won't use are because they are too drying. The rest is because of the scent.

Lots of good stuff out there. Too much to suffer through stuff you don't like.

InNae

Are there any soaps (or creams) that you have used that you won't buy again (because of poor performance)?

There is one, it was "Espresso" and made by Reef Point. For whatever reason, seemed like I had a caustic product on my skin.
Sadly, there were many other designs he came up with, wonderful performers and well-imagined fragrance notes. I still have most of these in a long rotation, mated with aftershave creams and lotions too, but the Company closed shop a few years ago now. I will miss them when they are gone.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Martin de Candre (or as I call it, Martin de Cakeface) is still the one soap that's on the "never again" list, although La Toja may be joining it in a few months. I've set La Toja aside for trying again in summer, but it definitely does not agree with my skin in winter. Cakeface was high density, low slickness, which is the wrong way around for me. Drying too, and I got a bad case of brush burn when first trying to use it.

The only other one that's hovering on the boundary is Wilkinson Sword blue bowl. It's a disappointing shave soap, but I could use it if I had to (i.e caught out away from home, with that being the only offering in local shops). Having said that, I'd be likely to try regular bar soap first.

After discovering SV some time ago, it's pretty fair to say chances are rather slim I'll ever buy any other brand soap. RR Acqua makes a rare exception, as it's the only soap I use when wearing Davidoff Cool Water.

Van Der Hagen
Mystic Waters
Van Yulay
Naked Armor
Blades Grim "smolder"
William Marvy
Scalpmaster
Any bar soap that claims to be for shave/shower/shampoo

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It's been said before, but Tabac. It reminds me of soaking ashtrays in the dive bars I worked in during my college years.
Strangely, this makes me want to try it even more!

Oh my, the stories I could tell about dive bars! Do you folks realize how close you are to have NEVER having had the pleasure of my company.

I'll have to tell the story about the time me and a buddy almost got beat up for our inability to lose a pool game.

Or the time I was one of two sober guys that needed to use the restroom, and the driver chose to pull into a biker bar.

VDH Deluxe - the pinkish type; had an unpleasant scent and so-so performance. VDH Luxury was better.
Dr. Dittmer's - from Germany, I believe. About halfway through the puck, I noticed what appeared to be part of a house centipede embedded in it.
Edwin Jagger Sandalwood - great scent, but impossible for me to lather.

L'Occitane Cade puck: for me totally unlatherable, with any brush, technique, amount of water and persistence.
PAA John Frum: smells like a cheap Eastern European bar soap my grandma buys. Instant yuck. Not sure how anyone can consider it masculine in any way.

Go to the Sterling website to their listing of soaps. Sort by best selling.
Almost the entire top ten list I will not buy again. They're just too 'stinky' according to SWMBO.
I like the Margaretas in the Arctic. I've not tried their Bay Rum or the Deep Blue Sea. The rest of them are right out.

The Smurf stick from Wilkinson, not per se bad but everything in this price bracket (Palmolive, Nivea, Arko, etc.) is way better.

Most probably Lavanda, it left a slight burning sensation on my skin. I put it away and will try it again in a couple of months. I hope I’m not sensitive to lavender essential oil’s...

Wilkinson Sword (puck)
Haslinger
Razorock XXX
TOBS hard soaps
Spieck stick
Vie Long stick

Nothing fundamentally wrong with the above but I won't buy again because the lathering performance wasn't quite up to scratch.

Not to mention Haslinger.
The XXX confused me to be honest. I got it together with the Razorock Caribbean Holiday. They are both the same grade of soap and both smell fantastic but the lathering performance of the XXX is not a patch on the Caribbean Holiday. Weird...

Despite the excellent performance of Haslinger, the 4 soaps I tried produced a pronounced and uncomfortable tingle on my skin. Now, in the interest of full disclosure I should add that a lot of soaps do this but it is only ever a very slight tingle and it's never uncomfortable.

Top Bottom