What's new

Any Sig guys?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I love the 938 Scorpion.

$scorpion.jpg

That's a killer deal there, Steve - especially for a SAS. Mine was $599, plus got a 11% rebate for store credit, but that ain't $500!

Nice to see some WV folks here. I was born in Huntington - lived there until I was around 12 or so. Beautiful state.

Native Mountaineer here as well, Morgantown.

James answered it as well, or better than, I could've. The SAS is Sig's "Custom Shop" 938 variant, with all/most of the sharp edges knocked off to make it slightly more concealed carry friendly. I think it makes a small difference, but I haven't carried one of the other models for comparison. The pistol carries extremely well in my Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 2.0, and more importantly, as James also noted, it's a really good shooter. The Alien Gear holster is kydex and neoprene and I haven't had any issues with the fit.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy any one of the 938 line again. Whatever your personal preference is and whichever one fits you best, I'd highly recommend it.

FWIW, I snagged mine for ~$500 on sale from Palmetto State Armory, so I consider mine a bonafide bargain.

I'd buy another Sig in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the info...trying to find a 938 for under $700 has been a chore. I found an Equinox model at Bud's for cash price of $699. Really like the SAS model which tends to run $30-50 more than the other models.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Has anyone installed a Short Reset Trigger in there guns? How much difference does it make for single action followup shots?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
That's a killer deal there, Steve - especially for a SAS. Mine was $599, plus got a 11% rebate for store credit, but that ain't $500!

Nice to see some WV folks here. I was born in Huntington - lived there until I was around 12 or so. Beautiful state.

Wow! Born and raised in Huntington, WV. Lived there until I joined the Army at age 18, returned for a few years when I got out, attended Marshall Univ. for a while till I moved south. I still have family there and visit once or twice a year, wish it was more often.

Wow! Born and raised in Huntington, WV. Lived there until I joined the Army at age 18, returned for a few years when I got out, attended Marshall Univ. for a while till I moved south. I still have family there and visit once or twice a year, wish it was more often.

Very cool! My dad graduated from Marshal - Physics, then worked at Huntington Alloys (aka Inco - now Special Metals the last time I heard). I've just got an uncle and a great aunt left there now for family. It's a nice town, although declining in population for quite some time (although Barboursville's growing quite a bit from what I hear).

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Has anyone installed a Short Reset Trigger in there guns? How much difference does it make for single action followup shots?

I have not, but have considered doing so for my P229, I just don't shoot it much anymore. I probably will someday.

I have not, but have considered doing so for my P229, I just don't shoot it much anymore. I probably will someday.
I've been thinking about it myself for my P229. I shot one at the range a few weeks ago and it was noticeably better on double taps.

I've also heard good things about Grayguns and am also considering them. Their wait time is a bit high, so I may wait until next winter.

FYI Sig Sauer usually runs a Fathers Day special on action work.

A new gun store opened in our area, not without lots of controversy, and the wife and I went to the grand opening this past Saturday to show our support. Very small store but had a nice selection of handguns and shot guns. They had guns from all the usual suspects (CZ, Sig, Glock, H&K, FN) I've been looking at a P938 SAS for carry and I was finally able to see and touch one in person and man is that guy small...tiny! My wife thought it was really cute! Anyway, the wife registered for the $500 store gift certificate give away and of, course, she won. Now, we're trying to decide what to buy and I'm leaning toward the P938 but after some more research on Sig's website, the P224 has peaked my interest because its considered subcompact but has a 12 round magazine. Anyone have any thoughts our suggestions on how the two compare to each other, specifically size wise? Other thoughts appreciated?

A new gun store opened in our area, not without lots of controversy, and the wife and I went to the grand opening this past Saturday to show our support. Very small store but had a nice selection of handguns and shot guns. They had guns from all the usual suspects (CZ, Sig, Glock, H&K, FN) I've been looking at a P938 SAS for carry and I was finally able to see and touch one in person and man is that guy small...tiny! My wife thought it was really cute! Anyway, the wife registered for the $500 store gift certificate give away and of, course, she won. Now, we're trying to decide what to buy and I'm leaning toward the P938 but after some more research on Sig's website, the P224 has peaked my interest because its considered subcompact but has a 12 round magazine. Anyone have any thoughts our suggestions on how the two compare to each other, specifically size wise? Other thoughts appreciated?

In my opinion the 224 would really be in a different class, despite the "sub-compact" designation. The 938 is (barely) a pocket gun. The 224 is way too heavy (29 oz) for pocket carry, even though its not a lot bigger in dimensions. This is because the 938 has an aluminum frame w/steel slide. P224 is all steel. P224 is 6.7" x 4.5" x 1.3". P938 is 5.9" x 3.9" x 1.1". The .2" in thickness is a lot more noticeable than you might think. That's important if you will IWB carry, particularly. The 938 is 6(or 7)+1 of 9mm. The 224 is 12+1 of 9mm, with a half inch longer barrel. The 224 will have higher velocities, so will put more energy on target. Both guns should be fine on accuracy. I can put rounds inside 4 inches at 10 yards, slow fire unsupported easily with my 938. Slow fire at 25 yards, supported against a tree I was able to stay inside 7-8 inches with the 938. The 224 should be at least this good (if the shooter does their part :).

You'll have to decide what the roll is of this gun to make the choice, I think. Can you always reliably carry this gun on your waist with a cover garment? If not, and you need to pocket carry, will you also get some other gun to fill that role (like a Ruger LCP for instance), or do you need "one gun to rule them all"? My philosophy is to always have something with me - no excuses (unless I'm going somewhere that it's illegal to carry). That drives me strongly toward making sure the gun(s) are comfortable to carry. If not, I'll leave it at home - no good. My system right now is 80% P938 (OWB pancake under t-shirt or pocket carry), 10% P250 in .45 (carried in a very discreet gun sling bag when going to more dangerous places), 10% Ruger LCP (pocket carried when I just can't do one of the other two for whatever reason).

Last edited:
The 224 is way too heavy (29 oz) for pocket carry, even though its not a lot bigger in dimensions. This is because the 938 has an aluminum frame w/steel slide. P224 is all steel. .

My apologies on this part - I can't determine at the moment what the 224 frame is made of. It just says "lightweight alloy", but not sure what that really translates to. It could be some aluminum alloy or a steel alloy. In any case, quite a bit heavier (29oz vs 17oz (both with unloaded mag)) - possibly just due to size difference alone.

[MENTION=43722]jamesspo[/MENTION] thanks for your thoughts. You always have the best and thought provoking answers. I have been thinking of the 938 for a while but did not expect my wife to win the $500 gift card. I believe he is selling the 938 Nitron for $599. Since my wife won the gift card, I keep asking her what she would like...she has no idea since she does not want to carry. We'll see what she wants to do.

After some research and a conversation with a friend of mine who is and dealer and collector, I've narrowed my wife's choices down to the P938 or P229. The dealer had the P938 Nitro and P229 SAS Elite all stainless with wood grip in stock. I've been drooling over the P229 Legion series and may see if I (my wife) can use the $500 credit on an order.

After some research and a conversation with a friend of mine who is and dealer and collector, I've narrowed my wife's choices down to the P938 or P229. The dealer had the P938 Nitro and P229 SAS Elite all stainless with wood grip in stock. I've been drooling over the P229 Legion series and may see if I (my wife) can use the $500 credit on an order.

Heh heh...so is this for you or her? :) . Sounds like you need to further narrow down use case. P938 and P229 are pretty far apart. I'd get both :).

Heh heh...so is this for you or her? :) . Sounds like you need to further narrow down use case. P938 and P229 are pretty far apart. I'd get both :).

Gun is for her but she has no idea what she wants and does not care. She doesn't like that the 938 is a 6+1 in case of a zombie attack. Wants more bullets and loves our Sig P320 with the 15 round magazine. See what I have to put up with???

Probably going to stick to my original plan of getting the P938 tonight since its the best deal at $599 which means we only pay $99 plus tax. I really want to see how much their charging for the P229 Elite? I really want the P229 Legion series!!

Gun is for her but she has no idea what she wants and does not care. She doesn't like that the 938 is a 6+1 in case of a zombie attack. Wants more bullets and loves our Sig P320 with the 15 round magazine. See what I have to put up with???

Probably going to stick to my original plan of getting the P938 tonight since its the best deal at $599 which means we only pay $99 plus tax. I really want to see how much their charging for the P229 Elite? I really want the P229 Legion series!!

If she's not carrying it, then presumably this is a generic defense/range gun. So yep, I'd go for the P229 for that. The P938 is awesome, but it's not a shootin' gun or a home defense gun. It's a small gun for CC that kicks quite a lot. She won't enjoy shooting it. I giggle every time I shoot mine, but I'm a gluten for punishment. She'll be much better off with the 229 (and that's a gun you want too).

Really though, you guys need to hold hands, close your eyes, and say the following a few times "First determine role of gun, then purchase gun" :lol:.

Last edited:
[MENTION=43722]jamesspo[/MENTION] - You will never guess what we came home with...Sig Legion P229! My wife did not care for the P938 and loved the P229 Elite Stainless with wood grips. While my wife was filling out her background check paperwork, I asked the owner if they access to the Legion P229. He said they had one in stock and my wife actually liked it better because the grip was more comfortable and felt better in her hand. I told my wife this is my Holy Grail gun and said she loved it and there would not be another time where we would get this great of a deal on the gun. Not to mention, the new guns store prices are fantastic, best I've seen anywhere and matches online prices.

$Image1459297269.576042.jpg

[MENTION=16816]Cuttingboard[/MENTION] - Excellent! I'm sort of holding out for a Legion in .45 (maybe a 220 or 227?), but I will likely also end up with a Legion 226 at some point. Let us know how it shoots!

Top Bottom