What's new

Any Sig guys?

"I agree with 73 on the lack of a grip safety... I wish it had one."

The grip safety is a plus. Ironically, John Browning really didn't see the need for it. The original 1911 design seemingly did not have this feature. It was added per the request of the US Army. Something about a concern Cavalry soldiers would shoot themselves somehow; I forget exactly how that tale goes.

Mr. Browning did not incorporate the grip safety in his last (and maybe best) pistol design, the P35 Hi-Power. I have both; I do prefer the Hi-Power although I surely have no gripe with my 1911.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The 938 safety is a solid thumb click; I have no doubt that it isn't going bang unless I consciously put it in a condition to do so. I have a 1911 also, so the little Sig just came naturally to me. If you aren't used to it, it could take a while to get into your comfort zone with it though. I carry in condition 1 only, and only pistols in the same battery of arms, though a thumb sweep of a non-existent safety is less of a factor than the reverse scenario. I just like to keep all of them consistent with each other unless it is strictly a range gun. Personal preference.

While the fuller sized Sigs have never been my preference, (I am a Glock guy) I have shot and played around quite a bit with my friends 938 Scorpion. It is a wonderful little gun. As you said, I really like the positive safety engagement. I think there is a small ball bearing underneath the lever, which gives it the same wonderful, positive and consistent click on & off every single time.

Also, I really like the fact, how the 938 shoots and handles like a bigger gun. Almost like how the M&P Shield does, but not as thick and chunky like the Shield. I have read a lot about the 938, and it always seems to come in at the #1 spot with the "gun experts" ( writers) when they compare it to other smaller carry pistols.

"I agree with 73 on the lack of a grip safety... I wish it had one."

The grip safety is a plus. Ironically, John Browning really didn't see the need for it. The original 1911 design seemingly did not have this feature. It was added per the request of the US Army. Something about a concern Cavalry soldiers would shoot themselves somehow; I forget exactly how that tale goes.

Mr. Browning did not incorporate the grip safety in his last (and maybe best) pistol design, the P35 Hi-Power. I have both; I do prefer the Hi-Power although I surely have no gripe with my 1911.

If i remember correctly Jeff Cooper didn't much care for the grip safety on the 1911 either, but i could be mistaken in that. The Hi-power was Brownings pistol masterpiece, but he sadly didn't get to finish the design himself as he died before it was completed. Dieudonne Saive completed the design which was to be for the french military, maybe the brief didn't require any grip safety.

I got out to shoot my new P938 (pics above) this past weekend. I love this gun! At 10 yards, easy to keep inside 3-4 inches off hand without even working at it. I need to burn through a couple of boxes of blasting ammo to get it broken in, but no issues at all. The 75 or so rounds I put through all went bang and fed fine. Also shot a P290RS and an LC9 (both new that my Dad brought out). Both great shooters as well, but I think I prefer the 938.

Last edited:
I've got a P226, had a P232 and a P225 both of which I have carried. Every single one of them boringly reliable. I regret ever letting the P232 go. That could go anywhere and just looked damn cool. If you wanted to try some Sigs out with not a lot of investment, trade-in's or their polymer SP2022. I've heard many a great thing about the SP2022 from a co worker who carried it for futy but haven't shot it myself....

If i remember correctly Jeff Cooper didn't much care for the grip safety on the 1911 either, but i could be mistaken in that.

I believe you are correct; moreover, he suggested that the thumb safety ought to be spring-loaded (to the UP position) to force the shooter to get his hands up high on the gun (to keep the safety disengaged).

Here is the SIG I built using a 228 parts kit, and a 229 frame. I lovingly call it the P228-1, and not only is it a good shooter, it holds 15 rounds with a standard Mecgar after market magazine. If you use the mag extension, it will hold 17. I did everything myself, to include the finish.

Thanks! Its a can of spray paint called "Paint Palace" for 99 cents at Wallmart. Spray it on, then bake in the oven at 300 degrees for 3 hours. Its hard as nails.

My sig 1911 Target Stainless

$FullSizeRender (2).jpg

I currently have a Sig P320 and I'm thinking of purchasing the P938 for carry. I really like the SAS, Blackwood and Equinox editions. The SAS and the Blackwood look almost identical, is the only difference between the two that SAS is all stainless? Also, found the SAS for $750, is that too much? Thanks

The SAS has rounded off edges to improve carry (sometimes called a "carry melt"). Do be careful on that though..it can impact the fit of customer molded holsters as the dimensions are very slightly smaller of course. Not sure on materials on the SAS, but I presume it's just the slide that's stainless. The frame for all models is aluminum as far as I know ( it couldn't be as light as it is if it was all steel). I paid 599 at Rural King (local farm store) for my P938..but the going price on gunbroker, etc, seems to be close to $800. So $750 is probably ok.

A couple of things on this gun that's I've learned, as a recent new owner. Try to make sure you get one that has a build date of 3Q 2015 or later, if possible. Most on the shelf now should be in that category. The build date is on the box. There was a fairly significant issue with this gun's main spring housing (wear of the main spring attachment point down in the grip) that can become both a functional and a safety issue. The main spring housing has been redesigned as of ~3q 2015. SIG's been a little weird about the issue, but I think now is willing to replace if you let them know you have the old version. I think it would be against B&B policy for me to link to an appropriate forum where this issue has been discussed, but if look around at SIG forums you'll find information on this issue, including pictures of the old and new MSH. Other than making sure you have this issue resolved I think it is an excellent carry piece. I've never had such consistent carry with a firearm. It's a shooter too...quite accurate out to 25 yards, and farther.

Also, keep in mind that this gun has the 1911 battery of arms, so carry would typically be cocked and locked. If you're used to guns without external safeties..make sure you practice a lot :).

Last edited:
Many thanks [MENTION=43722]jamesspo[/MENTION] great info. I'm a member of a couple Sig forums and will research the main spring issue.

Over the last twenty years, I've slowly moved away from Sigs to other pistols that I find either easier to carry, have more capacity or both. But I still have one venerable Sig remaining, though as a semi safe queen.

I had an older Sig P220 .45ACP with carbon slide that was hard coated in light grey hard chrome by Virgil Tripp. This P220 was an exceptional house, range pistol... but I sold it for the current DW CCO. 45ACP lightweight commander. While the P220 was reliable and accurate, the CCO is the ideal CCW pistol in a Milt Sparks Axiom. Have never looked back!

The P239 .357 Sig I carried for years was an excellent carry pistol. But I wanted more capacity and in 9mm so I traded it for a Glock 19 ten years ago. Truly enjoy the G19 3rd gen and I carry it in either a Milt Sparks NLG or Bulman curved pancake. G19, excellent carry pistol!

The only Sig left is the P226 Navy 9mm. Unbelievably accurate, reliable, the slide rides like it's on ball bearings on the frame. All German made. Many extra mags. It's my safe queen or SHTF pistol. I could easily sell it, or keep it.

The grip on the double stack 9mm is perfect! The P226 points naturally. An absolutely perfect a 9mm you can purchase! Sig's most classic pistol.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
One day I carried a full-size 1911 out of nostalgia ... next day was very happy to go back to a (much) lighter polymer-framed carry. Last post made me remember that ...

AA

My first pistol when I started shooting. Never once misfired with any make ammo. Completly trust the Sig 226 in 9mm. I like the 15 round mag. Reload my own ammo for competition.
proxy.php

I currently have a Sig P320 and I'm thinking of purchasing the P938 for carry. I really like the SAS, Blackwood and Equinox editions. The SAS and the Blackwood look almost identical, is the only difference between the two that SAS is all stainless? Also, found the SAS for $750, is that too much? Thanks

James answered it as well, or better than, I could've. The SAS is Sig's "Custom Shop" 938 variant, with all/most of the sharp edges knocked off to make it slightly more concealed carry friendly. I think it makes a small difference, but I haven't carried one of the other models for comparison. The pistol carries extremely well in my Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 2.0, and more importantly, as James also noted, it's a really good shooter. The Alien Gear holster is kydex and neoprene and I haven't had any issues with the fit.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy any one of the 938 line again. Whatever your personal preference is and whichever one fits you best, I'd highly recommend it.

FWIW, I snagged mine for ~$500 on sale from Palmetto State Armory, so I consider mine a bonafide bargain.

I'd buy another Sig in a heartbeat.

FWIW, I snagged mine for ~$500 on sale from Palmetto State Armory, so I consider mine a bonafide bargain.

I'd buy another Sig in a heartbeat.

That's a killer deal there, Steve - especially for a SAS. Mine was $599, plus got a 11% rebate for store credit, but that ain't $500!

Nice to see some WV folks here. I was born in Huntington - lived there until I was around 12 or so. Beautiful state.

Top Bottom