What's new

any shaving soap hoarders on it?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
That's what I am hoarding as well, Yardley, Pen's tallow and Old Spice....the newer, softer and highly over fatted, soaps are not aging too well. The harder the better!!
I would be very interested in seeing some images of the vintage soap collection of a master brushmaker đź‘Ť

A few months ago, I got rid of a few things I wasn't using and bought a few things to replace them. I've got about 20 soaps and creams in rotation and a couple of discontinued items stored. To some (oh, I don't know, my wife?), that's hording and it is a ridiculous amount to have but I think it's reasonable. Now @RayClem is insane with 200! ;) Still, like him, my small inventory is likely to out live me as well. Not to mention 13 razors, 10-11 brushes, 1500 +/- blades, and about 9 bottles of Shulton Old Spice.

My first problem is that I will find a soap that I really, really like, and then I buy six tubs so I will always have it (unless Rudy is right that they will go bad before I use them).

My second problem is that I’m getting good at judging which soaps I will like from reading the scent components - so I am finding ones I really, really like far too often.

My third problem is that there are quite a lot of superb soap bases on the market now, enough of these soap makers are good at devising scents, and they come up with new ones very frequently - so there are too many new soaps that I would love.

Still, it all means I enjoy shaving more. I look forward to my soap of the day more than anything else related to my shave.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I got to the stage where I had 27 soaps and a headache every time I tried to choose my gear for the day. I knew spent way too long thinking about it so I have embarked upon a project to concentrate on just the gear I like. I have continued buying soaps from a wish list, but limited myself to 3 or 4 quality soaps a year. I also joined the 3017 thread which has allowed me to use a soap constantly and find what it takes to get the best from it. Soaps I did not previously care for have become better performers through constant use with the advantage of using them up.
My kids also use my soap and there are 3 in my collection that I never use but are staples for them so I am no longer counting them as mine. All in all I am now down to 19 and hoping to use another by the end of the year. Using one soap at a time also makes choosing a setup much easier. Using soaps until they are gone also puts into perspective just how long they actually last and led me to realise that a huge collection of soap you never use is pointless.
I am cutting down my razors and brushes for the same reasons. I find that now that I know what soaps I like I go for those.

I have 50 different types of blades, I just can't stop myself buying them, it's like I'm addicted. I wouldn't be so concerned about it if it wasn't for the fact that I'm an Excalibur too. I have blades I bought 2 years ago I still haven't tried. I just bought 100 Personna Platinum and they'll probably last me 8 years or more. I'm gonna have to leave my blades, brushes and razors to the kids, thankfully I introduced all of them to DE shaving.

Help me!

Wait until you start experimenting on your own mix soap, then you will want others to try by Force or pif. In no time you will have a side business.

I got to the stage where I had 27 soaps and a headache every time I tried to choose my gear for the day. I knew spent way too long thinking about it so I have embarked upon a project to concentrate on just the gear I like. I have continued buying soaps from a wish list, but limited myself to 3 or 4 quality soaps a year. I also joined the 3017 thread which has allowed me to use a soap constantly and find what it takes to get the best from it. Soaps I did not previously care for have become better performers through constant use with the advantage of using them up.
My kids also use my soap and there are 3 in my collection that I never use but are staples for them so I am no longer counting them as mine. All in all I am now down to 19 and hoping to use another by the end of the year. Using one soap at a time also makes choosing a setup much easier. Using soaps until they are gone also puts into perspective just how long they actually last and led me to realise that a huge collection of soap you never use is pointless.
I am cutting down my razors and brushes for the same reasons. I find that now that I know what soaps I like I go for those.

I have 50 different types of blades, I just can't stop myself buying them, it's like I'm addicted. I wouldn't be so concerned about it if it wasn't for the fact that I'm an Excalibur too. I have blades I bought 2 years ago I still haven't tried. I just bought 100 Personna Platinum and they'll probably last me 8 years or more. I'm gonna have to leave my blades, brushes and razors to the kids, thankfully I introduced all of them to DE shaving.

Help me!

Of my 200+ soaps, the top 75-80 are in my current rotation. I keep them in a cabinet on shelves. I will select one of the soaps from one shelf and then after the shave I allow it to dry out and then place it on a different shelf with soaps I have used recently. That soap will not be used again until all of the soaps in the rotation have been used. That reduces the choices and minimizes headaches.

I have tried about 25 different DE blades,, but only purchased bulk packs for about 10 of them. I only get 4 shaves per blade, so a 100 blade bulk pack will last me a little over a year. I probably have enough blades to last me the rest of my life, but like soaps, if I learn of a new one that promises to be both very sharp and very smooth, I would not be adverse to purchasing them.

Although you might be able to use a single blade for numerous shaves today, that might not be the case in future years. as you age, it is likely that you skin will becomes thinner and more sensitive, and your beard will become a lot tougher. My beard is quite tough and my skin is quite sensitive due to my old-man status. Blades that worked for me in middle age are not sharp enough or smooth enough today. Thus, make sure that the blades you save for later years are the sharpest you have acquired.

790DB263-8442-4677-B7E9-1E1112D8E958.jpeg

Not sure if this counts as a hoarding situation or not

...Not sure if this counts as a hoarding situation or not
Certainly not. The situation at hand, if one could call it a situation, is that green is your favorite color. That was the very first thought that crossed my mind when I saw that beauty of a collection you have. Green and good insurance policy. That you will enjoy your favorite soap, in your favorite color tub, for a looong time.
Oh, by the way, in my books hoarding starts from 51st soap and up. Of the same kind.

On a different note, I used a tub of Stirling (Baker Street) and I couldn't help but thinking, darn, I have been hoarding the wrong soaps.. I really enjoyed that Stirling..
It is however a soft soap and I would be concerned about spoilage. Have you ever considered storing it in the fridge? Or maybe know from experience the Stirling soaps don't go bad?

Last edited:
Certainly not. The situation at hand, if one could call it a situation, is that green is your favorite color. That was the very first thought that crossed my mind when I saw that beauty of a collection you have. Green and good insurance policy. That you will enjoy your favorite soap, in your favorite color tub, for a looong time.
Oh, by the way, in my books hoarding starts from 51st soap and up. Of the same kind.

On a different note, I used a tub of Stirling (Baker Street) and I couldn't help but thinking, darn, I have been hoarding the wrong soaps.. I really enjoyed that Stirling..
It is however a soft soap and I would be concerned about spoilage. Have you ever considered storing it in the fridge? Or maybe know from experience the Stirling soaps don't go bad?
That’s just the majority of my Stirling collection (minus autumn glory, gentleman and a scarn sample). I’m probably in the 45-50 total soaps and creams range.

Of the Stirling soaps I really haven’t had any problems with them going bad on me where they’re located in the picture. The only one I’ve had any problems with is the executive man that’s on the bottom shelf in the upper left going a little “musty” but the mustiness went away after using it again for awhile

Top Bottom