What's new

Any shampoo to get rid of white hair? Will argan or coconut help?

I am 56 and have been salt and pepper for many years, slowly getting more silvery. I like the way my hair has transitioned over time. Years ago I had two supervisors that colored their hair. One ended up with a terrible orange color, the other with a totally unnatural looking brown. That helped convince me that I would not go down that road.

clooney.jpg

Dye jobs look terrible most of the time. George Clooney has the right idea in just going with the gray hair. The best option would be to add shine to the gray or slightly darken it with one of the aforementioned products I listed. Clooney looks good with the Murray's Superior pomade look to his hair. He's not dying it. He's got the Murray's look. That's how hair looks with Murray's in it

I'm 83 and started turning gray in my 30's. I've been totally white haired for decades. I rather like it. Dye jobs look fake and phony IMO. Avoid them at all costs. Wearing dark clothes with white hair helps the overall appearance IMO. I avoid wearing white clothing, as I suggest it makes me look like a vanilla ice cream cone. :eek2:

My friends been white since 30. Its his genetics. He has a hard time with it when people dont know how old he is. I'd try shaving my head first! That's a power move!

Kind regards
This is what i did. Top of head thinned out when i turned 19, white started appearing when i turned 30. After a few days of not shaving you can really see the pattern it would be.

Try to stay smooth all the time now.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I found my first grey hair in line for lunch in 7th grade. I was white by 30. At 62 I would love to have my hair back in any color.
My advice is to embrace it, accentuate it, and appreciate it. (my eyebrows are still black).
Life is strange. Mine is nearly 100% silver or white now, and the only reason I know that is because I haven't felt well enough to cut it for a month or so.

I think I'm going to see how an old pompadour looks on me.

I've had a self cut crew cut held down with some kind of dressing for so long I was actually shocked at how dark it wasn't!

My dad's hair was salt and pepper by the time I started cutting it when I was in Cosmetology skool, but it was black in his youth.

My folks thought I'd be a blonde like my big brother as I was blonde until past 3, then black after that.

I had a surgery at 17 and my hair came back reddish brown, then the grey started.

My dad said every grey hair he had belonged to me, as I was a pretty.... interesting child to be stuck with!

My siblings were less.... reckless, I suppose, ha.

I support the pomade idea. I’m 63, and didn’t develop gray hair until the last seven years or so. Though it’s mostly gray now, the gray fades tremendously when my hair is wet or treated with a water-based pomade like Layrite Original.

Just today I had a haircut. The barber sprayed my hair with a bunch of water before diving in with the scissors. I actually commented how weird it was that the cut hair dropping on my apron was brown, while the hair on my head appears about half gray and half brown. He laughed and said, “That’s what water does to gray hair.”

Let it be.
I haven't seen a SINGLE man with dyed hair that didn't look ridiculous.
Are you sure? Many do a camo kind of dyeing, so it's not a single color. (For the record, I don't do it.)

I started graying in secondary school. By the time I was in college I had a big white patch in the rear. Now, closing in on 50, I'm about 50% grey. Never really thought about dyeing, but I see men getting it done all the time at the new breed of fancy barber shops.

I'm against harsh chemicals so I barely even use a shampoo and it has to be very natural. Interesting, I've ordered MdC shampoo a couple of times when buying their shave soap. I think it's nice.

I do use a hair tonic to get rid of the frizz and the peeling scalp. Dr. Hauschka works awesome.

Last edited:
I have been using Grecian formula but that has lead in it and I only use it once in a few months because of that. I am getting the VO5 for gray hair cream and see if that helps. I agree that coloring the hair seems fake looking.

Control GX sounds good but I do not want to really color my hair at all, just tone down the gray.

Do you really think there is a shampoo that will get rid of white hair? Like all of the people out there with white (or gray?) hair just aren't using the right shampoo?

I think it's waste of time to dye hair. It's ALWAYS noticible when anyone dyes their hair, and it looks bad for guys to do it. Women can get away with it, but with guys, women feel sorry for them and see them as pathetic. Honestly, a guy with gray hair is better off just toning it down with mineral oil from Vaseline tonic or using the VO5 hair stuff for gray hair.

Those tone it down a little. I have blond hair and I hate it, and I use minernal oil, Voodoo Brew 1 and Murray's Black Beeswax pomade to darken my hair sometimes. My current girlfriend is into my blond surfer hair, so I stopped using those products. Any of those products would be world's better than to dye it. I've had a lot of girlfriends, and every time they see a guy with dyed hair, their reaction revulsion. I also have a lot of sisters that feel the same way. Youre not kidding anyone using dyes.

What looks really bad is when a guys face ages, and he's still dyeing his hair. Oh man, it looks so bad. You see guys in their 50s, 60s and even 70s dyeing their hair, and their faces look like prunes. Rodney Dangerfield had the right idea. He used light oil-based pomades on his hair, and it made his gray look less notificble. When Dangerfield stopped using pomades, he looked a lot older, and not as cool and youngish as when he was using pomades.

dangerfield-in-caddyshack.jpg

Last edited:
Do you really think there is a shampoo that will get rid of white hair? Like all of the people out there with white (or gray?) hair just aren't using the right shampoo?

For me I use very little shampoo, as little as I can get away with. This has darkened my hair a bit. I use the natural shampoos like Pantene, anything mild. I know there are those that use no shampoo but I come pretty close and am not gonna see if my hair stops producing oil, as I work and can not show up with a matted look. I doubt I could ever get away with no shampoo, too oily to begin with.

If your face and body look young then dying your hair might make sense. If you look 'older' then it just adds to the aged impression and 'vanity' or insecurity factor coming into play. Women can obviously dye their hair, wear all kinds of makeup, get plastic surgery, and no taboo. You figure it out.

By the way; if you use a coloring shampoo, and then apply oils (Argan, coconut , or others) these will wash out or make your color fade faster.... Just use Control X and give it a run....war gloves or else you will end up w purple finger nails...

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Find a way that you can embrace your grey hair. I have been shaving my head for over 25 years as I found a way to deal with my genetical pot luck. I cannot imagine me with anything but a shaved head now.

I'm 49 and the silver fox look and thining crown kicked in as well 😄 not much you can do about it, more important is to keep what you have healthy

Top Bottom