What's new

Any shallow angle shavers out there?

Question:
Does shaving with a steep angle cause more potential weepers? Then again, some shavers minimize the risk of getting weepers by rubbing in pre shave oil/shaving oil prior to lathering whether they shave with a steep or shallow angle.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I’m somewhat confused. In your Nodachi review, you mention that you used a steep angle and had a DFS shave. However, the Nodachi is designed for a shallow 24 degree angle.
I just report my observations - my face, skin and beard.

As my shaves with the Nodachi OC progressed, I did end up with a shallower angle.

I was comfortably able to use a steeper angle with the Nodachi SB and get a DFS.

My preference is for the SB plate.

Hope this helps.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Question:
Does shaving with a steep angle cause more potential weepers? Then again, some shavers minimize the risk of getting weepers by rubbing in pre shave oil/shaving oil prior to lathering whether they shave with a steep or shallow angle.
The only pre-shave stuff I use is water. ;)

If you are curious about shaving with a steep angle, there's always the Steep Angle Shaving Alliance in the Clubs and Brotherhoods Room. :)

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
We need a Variable Angle Shavers Alliance (VASA) for those of us who just adjust the angle of the razor as we go. 😄
Definitely. I thought about something very similar today. I was shaving with the adjustable Supply Injector thinking about the difference the adjustment made. I realized that with fixed razors I can accomplish some fraction of a true adjustable razor simply by varying the angle. This applies more so with something like the R41 with it's very wide attack angle vs an AS-D2 with it's much narrower sweet spot.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Oh, I'm not sure where you get that most folks steep angle shave, I believe it is the other way around that most folks do shallow approach shaving! (90+% of my shaving are Shallow approach-riding the cap or 7-10 degress approach>mainly a SE shaver myself)
Shavers who use SE are shallow angle approach shaving mostly, Anyone who uses a straight razor are using a shallow approach. I believe a lot of DE shavers are using shallow approach also.
At times I use a steep approach depending on the DE razor used because high arc top caps and baseplates force a person to use it. Some folks get great shaves with a steep approach but it might be a scrapping approach instead of a slicing approach and blade might not last as long IMO.
............................different methods of shaving....................shallow approach gives edge more strength.(better blade life IMO)
View attachment 1319077 View attachment 1319078
Have some great shaves!
I beg to differ, as the skin on your face does not stay flat when shaving. The angle is dependent on how much pressure is used.
Figure.6..png

~doug~

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I beg to differ, as the skin on your face does not stay flat when shaving. The angle is dependent on how much pressure is used.
View attachment 1432302
~doug~
Where did you get that photo, looks like a patent application for illustration. You still get a similar effect to the skin if you are ridding the cap or shallow angle effect IMO.
blade-angle (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Top Bottom