What's new

Any Scouts aboard??

Time and time again, I return to skills, behaviors, and info I learned in Scouts. I think its a super organization and few things tick me off more that the abuse I've seen heaped upon them. I've seen them denigrated for rejecting homosexuality (*gasp*) and even for daring to not want female members. How dare the Boy Scouts of America not wanting to accept female members? Last year's Democratic Convention chose not to use Scouts to present the colors!
I went through the whole deal....Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Order of the Arrow, got my Eagle, went to Philmont (three times), and never regretted a moment of it.
Any other Scouts on B&B?

Eagle here. Just sat on an Eagle board two nights ago -- felt good atthe end of the night to know there's one more of us in the world. :smile:

Made it to Life Scout. Went to the High Adventure base in Islamorada. Archery instructor at Scout camp one summer. Brotherhood member, OA lodge 470.

Eagle Scout '91. Just got back from camp with my 11 year old son. Alot sure has changed since then, atleast they still get to shoot real guns.

I went through with my son who got his Eagle from Mecklenburg County Council in 1996 and Vigil Honor from OA Lodge 495 in 1997. I signed up as a leader when he started as a Tiger in 1987. We went to Philmont twice, The National Sea Base in Islamorada twice, the National Scout Jamboree in Fort A.P. Hill twice, and the National Order of the Arrow Conference three times. And, that doesn't even include all the monthly camping trips, Conclaves, Fellowships, Invitationals, Seminars, etc! He even worked four summers as a Camp Counselor at Summer Camp. I got to spend 10 great years in the Boy Scouts with my son as he was growing up, and he grew up to be quite a fine young man, if I do say so myself (proud father here). He's 28 years young now, has a great career going, and never got involved with drugs, alcohol, crime, or any of the numerous bad influences that can deter young peoples lives down the wrong road. The Boys Scouts led him down the right path and gave me the best 10 years of my life!

40+ years ago... cub scout, boy scout...

Aw, kee, la..
we'll dib, dib dib..
something like that..
its been awhile
loved it!

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I was a Boy Scout up until I turned 18, but I never made it past a First Class. I was more interested in hiking, camping and lashing canoes together into makeshift catamarans than I was in turning in those blue cards to get my merit badges.

I went from Wolf Cub through Tenderfoot; currently assistant pack leader; wife is den leader, one son is a Star Scout, the other is Webelo Two.

I was a Scout and then a Scouter from 1958 to 2006. Retired as District Commissioner. I got sick of the politics. Scouting is a wonderful program on the local level. From the District level to the Council level is like a sausage factory. Any Woodbadgers? Fox patrol here.

Doc.

I was a Scout and then a Scouter from 1958 to 2006. Retired as District Commissioner. I got sick of the politics. Scouting is a wonderful program on the local level. From the District level to the Council level is like a sausage factory. Any Woodbadgers? Fox patrol here.

Doc.

Woodbadger here, SE613-6, Beaver Patrol. I too was disgusted with the politics by the time I got out.

I used to be a Beaver, And a good ol' Beaver too, But now I've finished Beavering, I don't know what to do, I'm growing old and feeble, And I can Beaver no more, So I'm going to work my ticket if I can.
CHORUS: Back to Gilwell, happy land, I'm going to work my ticket if I can.

Last edited:
Eagle Scout 2004 here. I never joined OA though. Seemed like an overhyped frat to me.

The OA is a service organization. Most kids turn down their invitation to their ordeal because they don't want to work. I'm surprised you thought it was a Frat type thing. You missed out on a lot of good food, fun, and some work keeping up your council summer camp.

Doc.

I'm proud to have "Eagle Scout" on my resume....it makes a difference. I loved OA and had a blast in it. We thought of ourselves as elite (and we were). In the Kansas City area, they had a different organization called "Mik-O-Say" (think that's correct) that was similar, I think.
What a bargain the learning experiences were. The last trip to Philmont in '74 was 21 days.....11 at Philmont plus a ten-day tour where we went to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Snake River float trip, etc. We stayed overnight at Army or Air Force bases. The whole shebang was $240!!

I got my Eagle rank in 05 and I'm in the OA, I never got to go to Philmont though the first time my troop went I was too young and before they went again I got Eagle and wanted out. I was in Scouting for twelve years so you can say I was kinda tired of it but it's my proudest accomplishment!

I was a scout but really didn't like it. Nothing against the organization; I was just a book worm. Still, when I go camping I seem to be the only one who know how to make a fire properly.

I ended my youthful scouting career in Alpha Phi Omega, a college service organization for former scouts. Great time and great fellowship all the way through the programs.

I'm not involved at present, but my son is a Cubmaster and my wife a den leader.

Eagle back in '71 or so. I still have the badge.

I heard something I liked a great deal from a colleague some years ago who was also Eagle:

"You can say you WERE a Scout - but you ARE an Eagle Scout"

Former cub scout here (and a former sixer at that). Also went into the scouts, but left soon after a new leader I did not like stepped in.

I still remember most of the knots, and one of the first times I used a mobile phone was at cub scouts getting my communications badge. My brother is young enough to be amazed that people lived without mobile phones as they have always been around for him, but I am sure we managed somehow without them.

I would recommend the experience to any young boy or girl.

Top Bottom