What's new

Any Runners in the House?

Second run since I was sidelined due to hip issues and ended up doing 5K in 24:53 so I'm feeling pretty good. that used to be a moderate paced run but now it's a hard pace. Can't wait to get back into the swing of things.

Anyone else getting ready for Thanksgiving Day Races?

I'm running an untimed 6K turkey trot with my daughter. I have no idea why it's a 6K. It was a 5K last year.

My daughter hasn't been running much so I'll be using it as a training run and pacing her. I'm in it more for her than for me.

The temperature is supposed to be around 26F at race time.

i'm back doing that roadwork. Only 3.5 miles a day but I'm staying slim in the process. Also, live in an extremely hill(y) area

I hope this is a good place to post to get an opinion from some dedicated runners.

I've a few posts here in the past and I've indicated that I had to limit my runs due to a hip replacement about four years ago.

I manage a two mile jog about every other day. I'm looking for a good shoe insert to minimize the shock from striking.
I currently jog on a high school track which helps. As a former city kid I used to run on concrete. No can do now !

I was thinking of Dr. Scholl. He has a line of athletic inserts but I don't have any idea if they are any good.
I just wore out a set of The Walking Company inserts but I don't think they did much.

Any ideas what I need ?
Thanks

I hope this is a good place to post to get an opinion from some dedicated runners.

I've a few posts here in the past and I've indicated that I had to limit my runs due to a hip replacement about four years ago.

I manage a two mile jog about every other day. I'm looking for a good shoe insert to minimize the shock from striking.
I currently jog on a high school track which helps. As a former city kid I used to run on concrete. No can do now !

I was thinking of Dr. Scholl. He has a line of athletic inserts but I don't have any idea if they are any good.
I just wore out a set of The Walking Company inserts but I don't think they did much.

Any ideas what I need ?
Thanks

I would recommend you speak to a professional such as a physio or sports medicine doctor to get an idea of what would be a good option. You are probably going to need a custom orthotic insert due to your hip replacement but that's just a guess. Good luck to you.

I would recommend you speak to a professional such as a physio or sports medicine doctor to get an idea of what would be a good option. You are probably going to need a custom orthotic insert due to your hip replacement but that's just a guess. Good luck to you.

Nope...

After the operation and rehab the doctor only advised me not to play football. (Lol)

My distance limitations are self imposed. I'm just trying to use my head and reduce impact where I can. :001_smile

Nope...

After the operation and rehab the doctor only advised me not to play football. (Lol)

My distance limitations are self imposed. I'm just trying to use my head and reduce impact where I can. :001_smile

Well don't play football then! :lol: I would look into custom orthotics and let them know your situation and that should help a lot.

Well don't play football then! :lol: I would look into custom orthotics and let them know your situation and that should help a lot.

Is it possible to run/jog with custom orthotics ?

My impression was they were hard as a rock. Maybe I'll see a Podiatrist. Where I am that will set me back about
3 to 4 C notes plus the cost of the orthotics (not insurance covered ). I see your in Canada...You must have that good
social medicine.(sigh).

I manage a two mile jog about every other day. I'm looking for a good shoe insert to minimize the shock from striking. I currently jog on a high school track which helps. As a former city kid I used to run on concrete. No can do now !

You didn't ask about this, and you may already know this, but one thing I would recommend is work on increasing your stride rate (shortening your stride) if you haven't already. The shorter the stride, the less time in the air, and the less impact to your joints. "They" say that the optimal stride rate is 180 steps per minute. Not only does this reduce the impact to your skeletal system but it is also the most efficient stride rate.

I've been trying to attain this, but am having a hard time doing anything greater than 160, but I'll keep trying. One thing I noticed is that as I get faster, a higher stride rate starts to come easier.

Any ideas what I need ?
Thanks

The majority of over the counter shoe inserts do little more than change the fit of your shoe. They might add a level of comfort or soften up the feel of the shoe, but the reality is that they don't provide much additional protection. whatever added cushion or protection they might add... that will break down quickly. Your dollars are far and away better spent on a quality running shoe. If you want max cushion from a shoe, expect to pay ~$150 (msrp - deals can be had on nearly everything these days). Take care in selecting your shoes though as there are different types that may or may not be right for you. I'd suggest seeking out a run speciatly shop for guidance on which shoe is right. They'll have a number of different ones for you to try on.

As for custom orthotics, many people will use them for running. Some are extremely rigid, some are not... it all depends what you need. Orthotics are typically designed to correct something more than provide additional cushion. Given your situation, it wouldnt be a bad idea to at least have a chat with an ortho (ideally one who deals with runners and athletes - most of them cater to the masses and runners/athletes are a minority) to discuss needs and options. You may not need anything, but you could benefit from having something - particularly if you're upping mileage and/or experiencing issues with aches and pains. Would be good to have an opinion before you have problems.

Is it possible to run/jog with custom orthotics ?

My impression was they were hard as a rock. Maybe I'll see a Podiatrist. Where I am that will set me back about
3 to 4 C notes plus the cost of the orthotics (not insurance covered ). I see your in Canada...You must have that good
social medicine.(sigh).

It depends on the orthotic, you can get running orthotics that are much softer. Unfortunately, our government medical plan doesn't cover orthotics but I do have insurance through work for it.

You didn't ask about this, and you may already know this, but one thing I would recommend is work on increasing your stride rate (shortening your stride) if you haven't already. The shorter the stride, the less time in the air, and the less impact to your joints. "They" say that the optimal stride rate is 180 steps per minute. Not only does this reduce the impact to your skeletal system but it is also the most efficient stride rate.

I've been trying to attain this, but am having a hard time doing anything greater than 160, but I'll keep trying. One thing I noticed is that as I get faster, a higher stride rate starts to come easier.

Thanks for the info...I didn't know this !

Gotta investigate more and see if it works for me.:blink:

The majority of over the counter shoe inserts do little more than change the fit of your shoe. They might add a level of comfort or soften up the feel of the shoe, but the reality is that they don't provide much additional protection. whatever added cushion or protection they might add... that will break down quickly. Your dollars are far and away better spent on a quality running shoe. If you want max cushion from a shoe, expect to pay ~$150 (msrp - deals can be had on nearly everything these days). Take care in selecting your shoes though as there are different types that may or may not be right for you. I'd suggest seeking out a run speciatly shop for guidance on which shoe is right. They'll have a number of different ones for you to try on.

As for custom orthotics, many people will use them for running. Some are extremely rigid, some are not... it all depends what you need. Orthotics are typically designed to correct something more than provide additional cushion. Given your situation, it wouldnt be a bad idea to at least have a chat with an ortho (ideally one who deals with runners and athletes - most of them cater to the masses and runners/athletes are a minority) to discuss needs and options. You may not need anything, but you could benefit from having something - particularly if you're upping mileage and/or experiencing issues with aches and pains. Would be good to have an opinion before you have problems.

I agree on the quality shoe concept. All the shoes since my operation have been best known quality. I am presently in a pair of Brooks Dyad7 which cost an arm and a leg. But, in my situation no complaints. Im also pretty old so, if I go up one mile to three it's a lot. I like running/ jogging and I think it is probably the best exercise out there. I was going to stop altogether and just do light weights and calisthenics but I couldn't give it up.

It depends on the orthotic, you can get running orthotics that are much softer. Unfortunately, our government medical plan doesn't cover orthotics but I do have insurance through work for it.

My Dr. declared me cured. So, I'm on my own for advice and follow-up.
I was just curious if you all go with the stock inserts that come with the shoe or if you get others.
Good advice though.

My Dr. declared me cured. So, I'm on my own for advice and follow-up.
I was just curious if you all go with the stock inserts that come with the shoe or if you get others.
Good advice though.

I just use Superfeet. You should be able to get them at any sport store.

I just use Superfeet. You should be able to get them at any sport store.

superfeet...I like the sound of that. I'm going to check it out.
Also, I got an appointment with a local Podiatrist. I'll get an opinion as you all recommended. Thanks for the comments.

Top Bottom