What's new

Any Runners in the House?

Got 17 in this morning. 1:05 at about an 8:05 pace and 1:05 at about 7:15 pace.

My issue is that right now I'm only running for miles as I don't have a race in the near future but I have a mileage goal I'd like to get by year's end soooooo... I've been running with some fellas that are training for their fall marathons. I'm probably training as hard or harder than I did for boston right now and for no good reason hahaha! I must be an idiot....

Got 17 in this morning. 1:05 at about an 8:05 pace and 1:05 at about 7:15 pace.

My issue is that right now I'm only running for miles as I don't have a race in the near future but I have a mileage goal I'd like to get by year's end soooooo... I've been running with some fellas that are training for their fall marathons. I'm probably training as hard or harder than I did for boston right now and for no good reason hahaha! I must be an idiot....

Sometimes you get the best training that way, just training for "fun's" sake. Glad things are going so well.

My fall training was going great, then we moved and our family life got super busy. I think it's going to really hurt my Nov 7th half. Oh well. Looking forward for winter training, I love winter and spring training.

Most recent 5K a week ago - broke the 10 min mile for the first time in around 20 years. 9:55 mile pace . . .

30 days to my first half marathon. May it not go like my first marathon. Note to all: when running a marathon, 1) wear arch supports, 2) drink liquids, and 3) eat something with carbs periodically. I skipped every water and food stop for 13 miles and hit the wall . . . :001_rolle

I'm in my last ~20 days for my fall half. Anyone else getting ready for any fall races?

Good running on your half!

I'm doing my first half marathon on October 31st. Training has gone very well. I haven't had any injuries since early July and have built up to an 18 mile long run. I put in 15 miles yesterday and will now start to taper down.

When I first signed up for this race my goal was to cross the finish line. As my running improved, I put a time of 2:15 on my goal. After a recent 5K that went very well (26:32) I'm aiming for a 2:00 finish. The Daniels' tables, based on my 5K, put me at 2:02, but the half course is mostly flat with two large declines that will help. The key for me will be to get enough sleep the week before, as I'm usually sleep deprived.

Good running on your half!

I'm doing my first half marathon on October 31st. Training has gone very well. I haven't had any injuries since early July and have built up to an 18 mile long run. I put in 15 miles yesterday and will now start to taper down.

When I first signed up for this race my goal was to cross the finish line. As my running improved, I put a time of 2:15 on my goal. After a recent 5K that went very well (26:32) I'm aiming for a 2:00 finish. The Daniels' tables, based on my 5K, put me at 2:02, but the half course is mostly flat with two large declines that will help. The key for me will be to get enough sleep the week before, as I'm usually sleep deprived.

Thanks and good luck on yours!

18 miles is a big build up for your first half. I think I maxed out a 10.5 my first go around. I only got up to 17 this year.

I've read some people who get up at 5 am (and going to bed at like 8pm) for a week or so leading up to their race so they get a full night's sleep the night of the race. I've never done this, getting up being a tough thing for me, but it's probably good advice.

I think 2 hours seems reasonable for you, especially with the amount of mileage you've built up, you won't bonk as much at the 10 mile mark as most people do. It's also a heck of a confidence booster to know that you can handled the distance easily.

Last edited:
After months of not running due to an illness, I think I might be ready to try a short run soon. I hope it goes well. I miss running, terribly.

I'm in my last ~20 days for my fall half. Anyone else getting ready for any fall races?

Best of luck. Ran the Army 10 miler and the AF/Navy half this fall...this weekend I'll cheer the wife on in the Marine Corps Marathon but after that I'm done with organized races for the year...contemplating another full next Spring but we'll see...

I had a fantastic HM Saturday. The day started with heavy rain and 45°F, but the rain turned into a mist by race time. My goal was to break 2:00 so I was planning on running a 9:00 pace with even splits. The first mile was 8:44 and I tried slowing down but all I could manage was 9:52 for the second mile. I felt great and in control so I just decided to go with it. Except for some big hills I was able to maintain that pace, with enough for a strong kick in the last quarter mile, and ended up with a 1:56:08 finish.

I'm very pleased! I only started running less than 6 months ago and feel like I've done very well. I'm fairly certain I'll be signing up for a marathon in May of next year.

Congrats!!! Well done! I knew you'd break two hours with the quality training you've done.

I've got my half coming up this Saturday. Hoping for success equaling yours.

Finally! After not being able to run for quite some time due to illness, I made my return to running today. Did 4.37 miles (probably a bit too far) at a 9:18 pace. I'm out of shape, as that was about as fast as I could go. I'm wiped out, and will sleep good tonight.

Special thanks to SWMBO for shoving me out the door and running with me. I needed the push.

Haven't been running for a week - recovering from a cold. 5K Mustache Run this weekend and the half marathon in Vegas the weekend after. Ought to be interesting - I forsee a lot of walking in my near future. :thumbup:

5savages - that's a heck of a half marathon time! Congratulations!

MrSpeedy - welcome back to running. I'm behind you on the recovery trail . . . somewhere :001_rolle

On Saturday I did my first run in about 10 months due to hip issues. I was thinking a slow mile would be all I could muster but was surprised that I ended up with a 27:41 5K! Not sure what I did to keep my endurance in somewhat decent shape but I'm looking forward to getting back down to the low 23 high 22 range again.

Back from my Las Vegas half marathon trip. Walked most of it, around 3:30ish. Cold, mild rain initially, high winds, and most importantly lack of distance training. It's really amazing what not training appropriately will do to your time. :001_rolle

Note to self - for future distance runs, work on having at least 1 weekly long run. Also buy those Sorbothane graphite arches for your feet.

I will say that the fun factor and energy with the entire Strip shut down for 38,000 people (? exact number) was incredible. Running with friends also helped a ton. The second half, and especially last quarter, was much less fun. :laugh:

Also on the bright side, my feet stopped hurting the next day, and I was pretty much walking normally 48 hrs afterwards. That first night felt like a truck hit me in my legs, though.

PowerCrunch bars taste a lot better than GU chews (I tried the watermelon sample - I spat most of it out), and better than Stinger waffles. I'm not entirely sure a good Seattle Chocolates bar wouldn't be even better assuming it didn't melt. :thumbup: Mint Meltaway for me . . .

Back from my Las Vegas half marathon trip. Walked most of it, around 3:30ish. Cold, mild rain initially, high winds, and most importantly lack of distance training. It's really amazing what not training appropriately will do to your time. :001_rolle

Note to self - for future distance runs, work on having at least 1 weekly long run. Also buy those Sorbothane graphite arches for your feet.

I will say that the fun factor and energy with the entire Strip shut down for 38,000 people (? exact number) was incredible. Running with friends also helped a ton. The second half, and especially last quarter, was much less fun. :laugh:

Also on the bright side, my feet stopped hurting the next day, and I was pretty much walking normally 48 hrs afterwards. That first night felt like a truck hit me in my legs, though.

PowerCrunch bars taste a lot better than GU chews (I tried the watermelon sample - I spat most of it out), and better than Stinger waffles. I'm not entirely sure a good Seattle Chocolates bar wouldn't be even better assuming it didn't melt. :thumbup: Mint Meltaway for me . . .

Sounds like a great experience!

Top Bottom