What's new

Any Runners in the House?

This new running habit of mine is coming along quite well. Started in early May, now training for a half marathon on October 30th but feel like I could finish one right now.

This running is coming easier and easier. My long run is up to 10 miles and I'm going for 12 this weekend. My weekday/night runs are now 5 to 8 miles. All my acute aches & pains are gone and have been for some time.

Here's my running totals for my first 4 months:

35 Miles in May
77 Miles in June
100 Miles in July
125 Miles in August

Going for 135 miles in September.

This new running habit of mine is coming along quite well. Started in early May, now training for a half marathon on October 30th but feel like I could finish one right now.

This running is coming easier and easier. My long run is up to 10 miles and I'm going for 12 this weekend. My weekday/night runs are now 5 to 8 miles. All my acute aches & pains are gone and have been for some time.

Here's my running totals for my first 4 months:

35 Miles in May
77 Miles in June
100 Miles in July
125 Miles in August

Going for 135 miles in September.

Damn...awesome mileage mate! Congrats and keep it up!

Trying out a new pair of shoes - got to run 3 miles in a pair of Altra Provision (?) 2.0's . . . the "medium cushion stability" one. Nice feel, lots of toe room. I ordered a pair which will hopefully be here soon.

I should add that I like the idea of a "zero drop" shoe with stability, good cushioning, and toe room.

Last night

$uploadfromtaptalk1441531100650.jpg

My first 5.25 km race ;)

Úgy legyen, jó felkészülést!

:a17:

I'll do it next year as well, if I can.
It had a good atmosphere. The evening run, floodlit Heroes' Square, Vajdahunyad Castle, torches along the way and loads of runners gave the energy.

Hello, gents! I am happy to say that I'm back running again. After 9 months off to allow the plantar fasciitis to heal in both feet, I've progressed to the point where I can run comfortably again. The pain is not gone entirely, and my feet require a little while to loosen up when I've been off of them for awhile (mornings are a treat for stiffness), but I can walk pain free now once things loosen up.

I gave them a test while on vacation a few weeks ago, running on a nice flat, dirt trail and they came through with no pain. Since then, I've been out three times and put 5K on each time, with little to no discomfort. I invested in a new pair of cushioning shoes (Brooks Transcend), and they've been far more forgiving than the Asics GT-2110s ever were. I have been swimming fairly regularly since taking off, and can do a mile fairly easily, but I lost a ton of cardiovascular fitness. Those first couple times out, I was sucking wind pretty good. Fortunately, the body adapts quickly.

At any rate, I'm happy to be back at it. I plan to start out 2 days per week to ease back into it, and give my feet plenty of time to recover between runs. No more streaking! I'm too old for it. Rather, I feel too old for it.

Good to hear, Bob. May you remain injury free.

Time for me to get back on the trails today. Running must be doing something for me because I did my first road bike ride since June on Friday. 36 miles and I felt like I could have done 50.

Hello, gents! I am happy to say that I'm back running again. After 9 months off to allow the plantar fasciitis to heal in both feet, I've progressed to the point where I can run comfortably again. The pain is not gone entirely, and my feet require a little while to loosen up when I've been off of them for awhile (mornings are a treat for stiffness), but I can walk pain free now once things loosen up.

I gave them a test while on vacation a few weeks ago, running on a nice flat, dirt trail and they came through with no pain. Since then, I've been out three times and put 5K on each time, with little to no discomfort. I invested in a new pair of cushioning shoes (Brooks Transcend), and they've been far more forgiving than the Asics GT-2110s ever were. I have been swimming fairly regularly since taking off, and can do a mile fairly easily, but I lost a ton of cardiovascular fitness. Those first couple times out, I was sucking wind pretty good. Fortunately, the body adapts quickly.

At any rate, I'm happy to be back at it. I plan to start out 2 days per week to ease back into it, and give my feet plenty of time to recover between runs. No more streaking! I'm too old for it. Rather, I feel too old for it.

Congrats Bob! Keep at it and remember the golden rule...don't increase mileage more than 10% per week!

Happy trails this fall...

For anyone interested in zero drop shoes - have a week or more in my Altra Provisions. Not quite as cushy as the Torin's, but still good cushioning and lots of toe room. I did have to do the "heel lock" lacing technique as there is a lot of room for my feet to move around in there . . .

For anyone interested in zero drop shoes - have a week or more in my Altra Provisions. Not quite as cushy as the Torin's, but still good cushioning and lots of toe room. I did have to do the "heel lock" lacing technique as there is a lot of room for my feet to move around in there . . .

I have a love/hate relationship with my Altra Paradigms. I have wide feet and have to buy wides in other shoes but the Altras seem to fit perfect. They're almost too cushioned though. I got them for half/full marathon training and have made it through a six miler with them, but they just don't feel "right." I got them specifically because of the cushion but I'm not sure they're going to work out.

I had a great running weekend.

Saturday I ran a 5K and crushed my previous PR, going from 30:13 to 26:32. The previous PR was just 7 weeks after I started running and the PR this past Saturday was 4.5 months after starting, so I expected to crush it, but I was thinking it would be in the 28 minute range. Using the tables for expected finishes for other distances I get 2:02:00 for a half marathon, which I'm doing on Halloween. My goal will be sub 2hr.

Sunday I got a new distance PR. Previous was 13.1 miles three weeks prior. Yesterday was 16.0 miles. It was supposed to be 15 miles but I took a wrong turn. I stepped up my pace for the last 4 miles to my HM pace+20 seconds (per the Daniels tables) with no problem.

I think I'm prouder of the distance PR than the 5k PR. The 5K race is good to see how I've progressed, but I've lost interest in that distance. Distance running, on the other hand, I love. I love spending time with my thoughts, I love the sightseeing (I try to find new places to run for my long runs) and I love the feeling during and after the run.

Been so swamped with a move lately and I'm closing on my old house this week so very little time to run. I did get out and get almost 7 miles this morning. Did a 1/1 fartlek for 3.5 miles in the middle.

Top Bottom