What's new

Any rum lovers?

Total Wine and Bottle King, both chains in my area of NJ, alway have the El Dorado 15. I've had the Ron Zacapa 23 and it is a nice one. I prefer the ED15 but I'd never refuse a RZ23. And you should definitely try the Goslings Black Seal neat or with a couple cubes so you can get a sense of how good it is.
Couldn’t help myself, I had to try both. Both delicious. The Gosling tasted little harsher at first, but after the ice melted a bit it was tremendous. Gosling has more molasses flavor.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I drink this cheap stuff with Coke

rum barton.jpeg

I will modify my original assessment of the Kirkland Anejo Tequila. Not excellent, but decent and a decent value. Rather more wood in there that I thought at first. Did go okay in a margarita. In this case maybe it tended to calm the wood down.

I used to enjoy this brand of rum before the BCLC in BC in their infinite
wisdom discontinued stocking it. Very molasses rich & yummy in eggnog and as a mixed drink with soda of your choice. I even made unorthodox dark rum pina coladas with it. I didn't care how it looked, it tasted great.
1537389018_img-20180702-wa0019.jpg

I was going to start a new thread, but I decided to put this in this thread. Anyone ever use any Bartavia Arrack? I got bottle of the van Oosten this morning. Essentially a molasses-based Indonesian rum. Supposedly with funk, like some Jamaicans. Apparently very popular in 18th and 19th centuries for punches. This brand handled by the folks who put out Smith & Cross rum, which grabs my attention.

I also got a bottle of the Ouch recommended Fortaleza blanco tequila, which sounds great. I will report back.

The counter of the liquor store had about 10 bottles sitting on it--all Wellers 12 yo and van Winkle 12 yo, it looked like. The sales check told me it had all been sold this morning, I assume to the same person. They get $269 for the Weller. Their web site does not list the van Winkle 12 yo.

I have not made it into a Margarita yet, but the Fortaleza blanco tequila is excellent. A home run in blanco tequila. Bold, bright, peppery, and a bit minerally, to my palate. Forward. Reviews tend to say cooked agave, which I can go along with, although I am not sure why not just "agave." Reviews also tend to say vegetal, which I do not get so much. This one seems to me to be the opposite of vegetal. Maybe I am not using that term the same way others do. Reviews often say olive. Green olive works for me. Very clean. Reviews also say there is quite a bit of batch variation, although it is always good, which is a good sign to me and might explain why I am not getting exactly what many reviews say.

The Batavia Arrack van Oosten (sorry about the earlier misspelling) is going to be fun. Have not tried it in a drink, but tasted straight it is its own thing. Very much a rum to me, but with an earthier, muskier funk than Jamaican rums. Big flavors. 100 proof. They say one has to be able to handle a hangover to drink this stuff. I believe it. Nothing has grabbed my attention as something new to my taste buds as much as this since, say, the truly funky Jamaican rums. Supposedly hugely popular 150 years or more ago. It tastes like something from another era. I would say it tastes like a precursor to rum, but rum has been around a very long time.

Couldn’t help myself, I had to try both. Both delicious. The Gosling tasted little harsher at first, but after the ice melted a bit it was tremendous. Gosling has more molasses flavor.
Goslings & Fever Tree makes one helluva Dark n Stormy. I always found Goslings to be closer to Myers rum 👍

Goslings & Fever Tree makes one helluva Dark n Stormy. I always found Goslings to be closer to Myers rum 👍

Goslings is like Myers? Myers is a spiced rum, which I don't much care for at all. I don't believe Goslings is a spiced rum. And I absolutely love Goslings. Are we talking about the same things?

Goslings is like Myers? Myers is a spiced rum, which I don't much care for at all. I don't believe Goslings is a spiced rum. And I absolutely love Goslings. Are we talking about the same things?
Haven’t had it a awhile, but I remember Myers being a sweet dark rum. I personally wouldn’t consider it a spiced rum, maybe it is. I personally do not like spiced rum.

Have you ever heard of making an old fashioned with aged rum? I’m going to try one tonight..... A friend told me he enjoys them.

Have you ever heard of making an old fashioned with aged rum? I’m going to try one tonight..... A friend told me he enjoys them.
Yes. They can be quite good. I prefer using a not too sweet aged rum like Appleton 12 year, Doorly’s 12 year, or Pampero Aniversario. Try 1 sugar cube, 3 ice cubes, a few dashes of bitters and 2oz of rum.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Clearly I’m gonna have to visit the big cities to find some of the rums listed here. I see the same stuff on the shelves around here and either I’ve got it already or it just doesn’t look good.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Just whipped up a fresh batch of orgeat syrup, so I am in for another rum week. Or two.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I used to enjoy this brand of rum before the BCLC in BC in their infinite
wisdom discontinued stocking it.

Slightly off-topic, but ...

... there are pros and cons to BC having essentially a quasi-monopoly of liquor sales with the BCLCB. One of the better things about it (for those of us who do not live in major cities) is we can order pretty much anything from their catalogue and have it brought to our local store (where on-the-shelf selection is usually pretty small and standard.)

Top Bottom