What's new

Any recommendations for a Pipe making kit?

All right, winter is seriously setting in, and it’s time to take a crack at making a pipe. Looks like Vermont Freehand and Mark Tinsky offer pre drilled kits with fitted stems. That takes care of the majority of machine work. Any preference one way or the other?

I want to try and make something like this Dunhill squat bulldog:
9F888F88-A5BF-487A-8A2D-91CE40F72154.jpeg

I’m pretty much limited to hand tools at the moment, which is fine. I’ve made a couple hundred ceremonial pipes out of Pipestone, and a couple out of this orange stuff. Can’t remember what it’s called. Tangerine something. Not soapstone. A lot harder, and no asbestos.
783CFD59-F2B8-4F4C-9FB7-9CE40AD39F53.jpeg
D3947790-9262-48E5-AFB4-29AE7CE19EAB.jpeg

Working Briar will be a little different, but I wouldn’t think that much.

So who would you buy a kit from? Any others?

Thanks!
Mark

Any contact info for Vermont Freehand? Can’t find anything on the site.
Never mind. Found it.

Last edited:

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Mark tinsky also sells nice kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
My one and only was a Tinsky. Mark asked me what I was planning on making and cut the block and stem accordingly. I am sure all the artisans selling briar kits will do the same.

My one and only was a Tinsky. Mark asked me what I was planning on making and cut the block and stem accordingly. I am sure all the artisans selling briar kits will do the same.
I’ll try Mr.Tinsky. Not possible to get a diamond taper stem that would fit the kit from Vermont Freehand.

Last edited:
I doubt you'll be able to find a kit with a diamond taper stem - they are primarily pre-formed vulcanite or acrylic. It will cost more, but Mark will probably make you a kit with blank rod stock fitted with a delrin tenon.

Mr. Tinsky it is. His response was “That’s easy, just order a pk7 with Lucite flush mount. And if you want it anytime soon, order now because I’m going to the hospital Monday, will be out for a few weeks”

Order submitted. I was a llittle worried it wasn’t going t be possible, or simple.

Top Bottom