What's new

Any razors that come in both open comb and safety bar (or dual comb) for which you have a decided preference for one over the other?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Posting this question because although I don't generally have a preference for open comb over safety bar, or vice versa, in the past few months I have acquired two razors (one a dual comb and one with multiple heads) and have decided that for these razors, the open comb is much better, and I wasn't expecting that result for either razor. Let me explain.

First, I finally acquired a Wolfman, off the B/S/T, which just happened to be a WR-1 in dual comb. I generally like mild razors, and this was a 0.79 gap, so I fully expected to much prefer the safety bar, and maybe to just use the open comb when a few days had passed between shaves, or just for a change of pace once in a while. I was VERY surprised to find that I found the open comb side to be superior in every way right off the bat, and my opinion hasn't changed after multiple shaves.

Second, very recently I bought an aluminum Karve off the BST with four baseplates, a C, a D, an E, and an open comb D. Again, since I prefer mild razors like the Tech and Pils, when I was contemplating possibly purchasing a Karve I was strongly leaning toward a C safety bar. Karve says that the open combs are about one "letter" more aggressive than their safety bar counterparts, which means that the open comb D should be as aggressive as the safety bar E. Let me reiterate that in a million years I would never have even thought about purchasing either an E safety bar or a D open comb. HOWEVER, after using all these plates several times, my favorite is the D open comb. Again, this was very unexpected.

So, I'm wondering whether any of YOU have a strong preference for one OR for the other, having tried both styles from a single manufacturer, or having a dual comb and strongly preferring one side over the other.
I recently bought a Yaqi Dual razor because I never had one before and I have been buying some Yaqi razor heads recently and they where priced great for testing(bought on live sale) and was very impressed with the Yaqi (flipside) dual head the open comb side is a tame milder mid range than the Safety bar side (mid range) and it is basically a adjustable on the fly. The open works well on the chin area and the solid bar works great on other areas of the faced. Also no blade tabs overhang and quality is great for a Zamak head.

I you like open comb on the milder side I would suggest the Razorock SLOC that comes with a stainless steel handle or just buy a Yaqi Mellon head much the same. That is a very comfortable razor for what you pay and I have bought 4 and gifted 2 that is how much I enjoy that razor.
Yaqi 1 Mellon head to Yaqi Flip side..jpg

Have some great shaves!

@kingfisher I prefer the OC models over the SB models. However, I am a big fan of the ikon S3S the open comb side of the asymmetric head rather that the SB side. The OC side of this heavy razor gives me a great BBS shave due to its weight. Otherwise I still like the original iKon long-handled HP OC because of its efficiency and homage to the Gillette New.

Tradere OC 1st gen vs Tradere SB - Prefer OC
Razorock Game Changer 68 OC vs SB - Prefer SB
Razorock Game Changer 84 OC vs SB - Prefer OC
Razorock Lupo 72 SB vs 95 OC - prefer the 95 OC (to be fair, have not tried the 95 SB)

Tradere OC 1st gen vs Tradere SB - Prefer OC
Razorock Game Changer 68 OC vs SB - Prefer SB
Razorock Game Changer 84 OC vs SB - Prefer OC
Razorock Lupo 72 SB vs 95 OC - prefer the 95 OC (to be fair, have not tried the 95 SB)
Agreed on the Tradere 1st Gen OC vs SB. The Tradere 2nd Gen OC vs the Trader SB is a tougher question. I like the 1st Gen vs the 2nd Gen OC myself. The Tradere SB is too mild.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
For the Lupo .95 the OC plate beats the SB. The SB plate left me unimpressed, the OC is one of my top favorites.

For the Blackbird, the OC plate is much more efficient, but feels harsh and requires a shallow angle, while the SB plate is not as efficient but way more forgiving and easier for me.

For whatever reason, (in general) I don't like the modern open comb razors, but I don't mind using vintage ones like the US and British open comb Aristocrats, my Senator, all the US and British NEW I have as well as a #160 Goodwill and of course my absolute favorite at the moment - the New Improved Tuckaway.

My modern OC razors are quite few though - Schone/Fatip with a Piccolo handle, FOCS and Lupo DC which has a .95 solid bar side and a .72 open comb side.

I find most modern open combs too crude and unrefined and the sharp teeth look more like spikes and resemble a torture device a lot more than a shaving razor. I'm really a fan of the rounded and smooth teeth like with the NEW series and the Fatip razors.

I think most modern open comb manufacturers are missing the whole point of the open comb razors and that they should at least look at what Gillette did before moving up to solid bar razors. Of course, that's just my take on this and if people are enjoying the majority of the modern open comb razors, then I see nothing wrong with that.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
For whatever reason, (in general) I don't like the modern open comb razors, but I don't mind using vintage ones like the US and British open comb Aristocrats, my Senator, all the US and British NEW I have as well as a #160 Goodwill and of course my absolute favorite at the moment - the New Improved Tuckaway.

My modern OC razors are quite few though - Schone/Fatip with a Piccolo handle, FOCS and Lupo DC which has a .95 solid bar side and a .72 open comb side.

I find most modern open combs too crude and unrefined and the sharp teeth look more like spikes and resemble a torture device a lot more than a shaving razor. I'm really a fan of the rounded and smooth teeth like with the NEW series and the Fatip razors.

I think most modern open comb manufacturers are missing the whole point of the open comb razors and that they should at least look at what Gillette did before moving up to solid bar razors. Of course, that's just my take on this and if people are enjoying the majority of the modern open comb razors, then I see nothing wrong with that.
Karve.

Anyone tried both? Curious if it is a big jump or just slightly milder.

Gen 2 is very comfortable. One of the smoothest open combs I have.

I am 50/50 depending on the razor (and I think that is the actual ratio in my collection as well), yet I do like the idea of having both of the same razor if possible. I would love to get my hands on a flat bottom New to compliment my Tech (that New looks stunning @Happy Jack!!).

I like the Fatip OC to the SB - feels smoother and more comfortable (even though Fatip calls the SB Gentile I find it less gentle on my skin than the Originale).

Cheers,

Guido.

Blackbird = SB
Karve = OC

and Im thinking about ordering the new OC plate for my Lupo .95, and finding out about that pair, as well

Parker makes an interesting dual comb razor.

Parker 69CR Convertible Dual Head Safety Razor - 5 Parker Razor Blades Included

proxy.php

The Parker is made in India and is similar in design and function to a R89 but also comes with an open comb head and a tuck of Parker blades. The head is your typical crome plated zamac but the handle is solid brass with some chrome plating. This sets it apart and makes for a rather attractive razor.

Razors, like the Muhle R89 typically run $40-$50. Standard Parker 3-piece razors run about $30. This razor is $37, which means that for around $7, you get an extra open comb head thrown in. This makes it an excellent value.

My regular razor is the R41, so I am used to an open comb head. The head is fairly agressive but not as efficient as the R41 head, when it comes to a closer but smoother shave. Though, not bad, if I may add. The R41 head cost me $25, in comparison.

If the R89 was "5" on a scale of 1-10 as far as aggressiveness goes, I would rate the OC head as a "7".

What comes as more of a surprise, is that the safety bar head is close to the OC, in terms of being aggressive. I might rate it as a 6.5. Still it delivers a very close but clean shave. Though I will need to spend some more time with this razor and both heads.

The other thing that stands out to me is the handle, which can be a plus or a minus, depending on what your priorities are. If you are one of those who have a preference for agressive knurling on the handle, this handle is for you!

proxy.php

It's not particularly my cup of tea. I find the knurling excessive. You can see where they have circles recessed into the handle. These have twelve flat ovals in each ring.

The problems are not these rings themselves. If you look closely at the handle, the metal is cut to create the recessed rings. The metal edges of the handle are abruptly cut. They are not chamfered on the edges. This leaves the edges sharp and not comfortable to hold. There are four of these rings that have been cut into the handle.

I just use two razors, call me crazy...why not...it is not like we have a den shortage.....BFX ....if you where a gunsligger in the old west? One or Two.....Wild Bill H. carried two...BFX
WildBillFinal.jpg

Top Bottom